Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vancouver vs. Toronto

Options
  • 13-04-2012 11:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Drawn between these two places, which would you recommend based on Job opportunities, Cost of living, nightlife etc??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 fc04

scotty91 wrote: »
    Drawn between these two places, which would you recommend based on Job opportunities, Cost of living, nightlife etc??
    Would be interested if people have comments about vancouver and job opportunities might be heading there myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭duiggers

Im going to Vancouver myself in June because I have two mates who will be over there. Four of them went over together last summer and all of them got jobs without much hassle as they joined a job agency, although if you are looking for a career you should start looking online before you leave.

They've told me the cost of living is pretty pricey as they live right in the city but they are more than capable of affording a social life with the wages they're on.

The nightlife is supposed to be very good according to my mates and also quite a few Irish people living there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 fc04

duiggers wrote: »
    Im going to Vancouver myself in June because I have two mates who will be over there. Four of them went over together last summer and all of them got jobs without much hassle as they joined a job agency, although if you are looking for a career you should start looking online before you leave.

They've told me the cost of living is pretty pricey as they live right in the city but they are more than capable of affording a social life with the wages they're on.

The nightlife is supposed to be very good according to my mates and also quite a few Irish people living there.

Sounds good did your friends have any qualifications or did they just look for any kind of work?

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭duiggers

Ya two of them had college degrees in accounting/business but didn't look for anything relating to their degrees. All of them just joined a job agency and got positions which were simliar to their work experience.

I did enviro science so I'm going to start looking for a job in that before I go. If I can't get anything I'll just join an agency over there and get something.

If you want a job in what you're qualified in you should definitely search before you head over, save yourself a lot of hassle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

I lived in Vancouver and have visited Toronto. Vancouver is a nicer city, even nicer if you're into the outdoors. The cost of living in Vancouver is insane. The job market there is competitive as well. Nightlife in Vancouver ok, nothing to write home about really.

• Advertisement
Advertisement