Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best commuter locations - 30-45 commute duration

Options
  • 13-04-2012 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 28

So...

Considering buying a semi or an apartment and looking out as far as Naas or Kildare the property is very affordable but the journey times in are just a little to high.

Any one got any other recomendations?

I work in Eastpoint and would spend 100-200k Euro on a 2 bed or more place that has rail links or good driving/public transport options.

Obviously the best bang for buck is what I am after and was hoping you may have some good locale's?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

newtodub wrote: »
    So...

Considering buying a semi or an apartment and looking out as far as Naas or Kildare the property is very affordable but the journey times in are just a little to high.

Any one got any other recomendations?

I work in Eastpoint and would spend 100-200k Euro on a 2 bed or more place that has rail links or good driving/public transport options.

Obviously the best bang for buck is what I am after and was hoping you may have some good locale's?

For Eastpoint, somewhere along the DART line on the north side is probably handiest in terms of commuting, and not as expensive as the south side. Killester, Raheny and the general Dublin 3 and 5 are nice areas, and you can get a 3 bed semi for less that 200k.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭maupat

Cool Mo D wrote: »
    For Eastpoint, somewhere along the DART line on the north side is probably handiest in terms of commuting, and not as expensive as the south side. Killester, Raheny and the general Dublin 3 and 5 are nice areas, and you can get a 3 bed semi for less that 200k.

I agree with Cool Mo D. How about Clontarf? Prices have come down considerably in the area over the last cpl of years and the bus service is very good. Bus lane all the way into town - takes 25mins max even when traffic is heavy. It's a really nice area by the sea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Mance Rayder

Pelletstown / Ashtown Dublin 15 . Upmarket, well managed, no anti-social behavior problems. 5 mins on commuter train to connoly station. My sister has lived there for years and loves it, My Aunt and Uncle also live there and love it. I always feel good in the area when I visit.

http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?id=638492

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Sallins....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Rent, rent, rent. I wouldn't buy anything now, sorry for those selling!

No household charge, no property tax and no potential negative equity.

Where do you live now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭foret

Unless you have another reason to live out Naas direction you are bonkers.

I know and like Naas well but why put youself going through fairview, crossing the liffey,
    going down the quays, n4, m50, n7..... Everyday!!:(:mad::eek:.

Get a place on de nortside. Enjoy the prom, jump in the sea, walk st. Anns park , climb Howth head.

Just don't sit in traffic and try and beat this toxic car dependant society that we are enslaved in.

Btw before you mention value of houses factor in price of fuel, car depreciation , car tax....maintenance etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭spoonface

Here's one in Howth for 250K but I'd say you'd get it a lot nearer 200k. It's about 5 mins walk from the train station which gets you to Tara St in about 25 mins and you always get a seat in the morning...

http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?id=638440

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭uli84

Pelletstown / Ashtown Dublin 15 . Upmarket, well managed, no anti-social behavior problems. 5 mins on commuter train to connoly station. My sister has lived there for years and loves it, My Aunt and Uncle also live there and love it. I always feel good in the area when I visit.

http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?id=638492

hmm, is it not too near to Finglas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Mance Rayder

uli84 wrote: »
    hmm, is it not too near to Finglas?

Its not adjoined. Its seperated by a large woodland, up a steep hill. As I said it's private and is not council run, Believe me that makes a world of difference. It is privately managed and has it's own security measures, Most of the blocks have private signs and people hanging around there are considered to be trespassing. In all my years going back and forth from there I have never seen any trouble.

Proximity is a strange thing in Dublin, take Fairview and Clontarf for example. They are polar opposites but are within walking distance of one another. One is full of Junkies and scangers and the other is full of suits and golfers. Castleknock is near Finglas too and it's one of the most extremely affluent areas in Ireland. If you don't believe me take a google map street view walk around the Georgian Village in Castleknock. A stones throw from Ashtown.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,432 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Pelletstown / Ashtown Dublin 15 . ... 5 mins on commuter train to connoly station. ]

Ashtown-Connolly is 11-16 minutes, Connolly-Clontarf Road is another 3-5 minutes, which is 32-40 minutes when you add transfer times. It is then a 10-16 minute walk from Clontarf Road station to Eastpoint.

• Advertisement
Advertisement