Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Centenians

Options
  • 13-04-2012 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭

Just heard that anyone born in Ireland and reaching 100 gets a Presidential gift of €2500. It's something called The Centenarians' Bounty.

Anyone know anyone who's collected this party money?

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,568 ✭✭✭✭looksee

No, but it won't be worth much by the time most of us get there!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

I don't know of anyone, but I have to say that I think it is a lovely gift to someone who has given 100 years to Ireland. I would like to see those good folk get a lot more than a few Euros though. But maybe that's just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Rubecula wrote: »
    I don't know of anyone, but I have to say that I think it is a lovely gift to someone who has given 100 years to Ireland. I would like to see those good folk get a lot more than a few Euros though. But maybe that's just me.
    Thing is that apparently it's available to anyone born in Ireland, even if they live abroad.

I'm not sure if this even exists or if someone is winding me up with for giggles - and knowing my friends this is not a far fetched possibility. :o

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Yes, I knew a woman in Clare that got it about 10 years ago. The family did not inform the appropriate office so it was a few months after that she got her cheque for E2K (I think).

Well, I am never going to be eligible for a couple of reasons. One is I am unlikely to reach that advanced point of age. But also I was born in Liverpool, and I have never lived in Ireland, merely visited.

So from an outside point of view I applaud the idea. I think that other things would be nice too though, free electricity?water/gas, free hot meals at least twice a day. (Older folks don't generally eat a lot and there are not many to cater for.)

Lots of little things like that help to make life more enjoyable, and surely they have earned at least that much.

But I do applaud the idea as I said, it is more than folks here get.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

OldGoat wrote: »

Anyone know anyone who's collected this party money?

If I can just get me Granny to hang in there another 6 years!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Rubecula wrote: »
    But I do applaud the idea as I said, it is more than folks here get.

Rubes, I thought HRH also gives a prezzie to British 100 year olds. But maybe its just a 'telegram'! I definitely remember some joke in the media some years ago now about the Queen Mother receiving a telegram from her daughter the Queen.

http://www.thecentenarian.co.uk/qualifying-for-telegram-from-queen.html

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Rubes, I thought HRH also gives a prezzie to British 100 year olds. But maybe its just a 'telegram'! I definitely remember some joke in the media some years ago now about the Queen Mother receiving a telegram from her daughter the Queen.

Yes, to save the British taxpayer the Queen just shouted Happy Birthday Mum down the corridor, pointed a Corgi in the right direction with a birthday card in it's mouth and went back watching an omnibus edition of Corrie :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

It appears we can look forward to more than a hundred quid or a telegram....better start doing the ol' stretches :D

NSFW, btw - youtube link

Jellybaby1 wrote: »

Well it isn't really a telegram anymore, it is either a telemessage, (Looks like a telegram but just goes by post) or a card. Which ever it may be you have to apply for it or they won't send it anyway. Nothing else is given as far as I am aware.

• Advertisement

It appears we can look forward to more than a hundred quid or a telegram....better start doing the ol' stretches :D

NSFW, btw - youtube link

Jasus JC! HSH knows my password ......... I hope she doesn't open the link as her imagination goes haywire after a few choccies.

Advertisement