Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drying clothes outside ahaha

Options
  • 13-04-2012 11:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I live in a terraced street in Drumcondra, no sunshine in the little back yard or laneway because they face North.

I do laundry once a week/10 days and if it's sunny I air them on the railings or bring the clothes horse out into the front yard (behind the railings) for a couple hours. Let me reiterate that there are clothes there for a maximum of 4 or 5 hours every 2 weeks.

I've just had one of the neighbours complaining that I'm making the street look like a tenement, and she's threatening me with all sorts of resident's association middle class nonsense.

I've looked for and can't find any regulations saying I can't do this.

Or am I dealing with a whinging residents' association that has nothing better to do with its time?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

deaddonkey wrote: »
    Or am I dealing with a whinging residents' association that has nothing better to do with its time?

Yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SunnyDub1

TBH I can kind of see your neighbors point - it would annoy me.
    is there no alternative to drying them ?

On the other hand your neighbor can't do anything about it, so if you want to leave them out then leave them out, it's on your property - not hers.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭deaddonkey

SunnyDub1 wrote: »
    TBH I can kind of see your neighbors point - it would annoy me.
    is there no alternative to drying them ?

There is if I was happy to wear clothes that had taken 3 days to dry in the shade of the back yard and smell like mold, but I don't really want to do that.

I'm quite amazed that anyone has sensibilities delicate enough to be bothered by it.

There's a guy running a car alarm fitting service on the street with alarms going off all day long, and cars are parked on the pavement and if you were pushing a buggy you'd have to walk on the road, but my jeans and t shirt over the railings is bothering people.

I'm genuinely puzzled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

It looks pretty shit to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SunnyDub1

There is if I was happy to wear clothes that had taken 3 days to dry in the shade of the back yard and smell like mold, but I don't really want to do that.
    Buy a tumble dryer or use your parents or friends .. Plenty of other ways to dry clothes.
    I'm quite amazed that anyone has sensibilities delicate enough to be bothered by it.
    As stated already - it doesn't look good
    There's a guy running a car alarm fitting service on the street with alarms going off all day long, and cars are parked on the pavement and if you were pushing a buggy you'd have to walk on the road, but my jeans and t shirt over the railings is bothering people.
    Some things bother people more then other things...

However that would annoy the sh*t out of me - report him.
    I'm genuinely puzzled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭fundlebundle

Don't see anything wrong with it op.
    My neighbours above do it and it doesn't bother me at all. Although I would have to check if they have clothes out before I light the BBQ.
    That oul wan is just being an oul wan. It is best to not to take away the one thing they like to complain about or they will just find something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

SunnyDub1 wrote: »
    Some clothes aren't suitable for tumble dryers and they cost money.

Don't mind your neighbour OP, she sounds like an auld bag with nothing better to do. You've said yourself that there's no regulations saying you're not allowed to dry clothes in this manner so there's nothing she can do.

Although you could always ask her if you can use her tumble dryer instead :pac:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,158 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

Did your one tell you what rule you were breaking, since you are not aware of any?

We have house rules in the building saying we can't do it.

(I hate to use the dryer, but I hate more to see my neighbours' laundry out except in their own garden if they had one. so I like the rule. But that's just me. I can see OP's point.)

(EDIT: and I hang my clothes inside my tiny appartment if I don't use the dryer)

Oink wrote: »
    Did your one tell you what rule you were breaking, since you are not aware of any?

No she wasn't able to, she just said she'd complain because it made the street look bad.

She also told me if someone was considering buying a house on the street they wouldn't buy there because the clothes were hanging outside.

????

I need a drink.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I wouldn't pay any attention to her tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭lau1247

No she wasn't able to, she just said she'd complain because it made the street look bad.

She also told me if someone was considering buying a house on the street they wouldn't buy there because the clothes were hanging outside.

????

I need a drink.

Let her complain and see how far she'll get.. clearly she has nothing better to do.. It's not like you have it out there all the time..

As for the 'if someone was considering buying a house on the street' situation, that is not exactly your problem.. tell her to get a life..

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Who's she going to complain to? Keep putting them outside, you need dry clothes. Few hours every week or 2 isn't excessive.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,158 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

+1

You're innocent until they prove there is a law to break in the first place.

To the pub, I say! To the pub, and tarry not on the road!

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭Kaner2004

Hi,

I live in a terraced street in Drumcondra, no sunshine in the little back yard or laneway because they face North.

I do laundry once a week/10 days and if it's sunny I air them on the railings or bring the clothes horse out into the front yard (behind the railings) for a couple hours. Let me reiterate that there are clothes there for a maximum of 4 or 5 hours every 2 weeks.

I've just had one of the neighbours complaining that I'm making the street look like a tenement, and she's threatening me with all sorts of resident's association middle class nonsense.

I've looked for and can't find any regulations saying I can't do this.

You can dry clothes out the front if you like. Nobody can stop you.
    But in fairness it does make a place look like a tenement.
    Are you a settled traveler by any chance? Just asking because most places I see washing hanging out the front have caravans parked in the drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 stacey25

just ignore this:)

Kaner2004 wrote: »
    Are you a settled traveler by any chance? Just asking because most places I see washing hanging out the front have caravans parked in the drive.

No I'm a regular middle class white kid renting a room in a house, and also I don't believe in wasting money and limited fossil fuel resources on a dryer when I can put the clothes in the front yard and let air and sunshine do it for free with no environmental cost at all.

That was a long sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

It's your front garden. You can do whatever you want with your laundry in it. The residents association can't make you do a thing. You don't live in a managed property where you signed a document agreeing to abide by the rules of the mgt association, so you can do what ever you want basically.

That being said, most people do think that it looks unsightly. For that reason apt buildings ban residents from hanging laundry from their balconies. It is not fair to dismiss this as an aul wan going all "middle class" on your ass. If you (for arguments sake) lived in a house with a garden or a drive way, and your next door neighbour had an old rust bucket up on blocks in the driveway, or their garden was an over grown mess, you would be perfectly entitled to be pissed off at how it looks. You aren't entitled to force the property owner to do anything about it, but you are entitled to be pissed off about it.

Perhaps if anyone approaches you about this again, explain why you can not dry clothes in your back garden, that your kitchen is too small to install a tumble dryer and that you are doing your best to keep the amt of laundry in your front garden to a bare minimum. Having good lines of communication with your neighbours is always a good idea.

EDIT: Just saw that you are a renter. How does your landlord feel about this? Does he/she live there too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭Kaner2004

No I'm a regular middle class white kid renting a room in a house, and also I don't believe in wasting money and limited fossil fuel resources on a dryer when I can put the clothes in the front yard and let air and sunshine do it for free with no environmental cost at all.

That was a long sentence.

Thats not true. There is actually an environmental cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Gravale

Get a tumble dryer. I've used one since 1975 and couldn't be bothered hanging clothes outside. Yes, there are a few items which are not suitable for a tumble dryer, but for those very few items just hang them inside.

As has been said, hanging clothes in a front garden is just not a nice thing to do. It reflects badly on the neighbourhood - and on the person doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭thethingis

Gravale wrote: »
    Get a tumble dryer. I've used one since 1975 and couldn't be bothered hanging clothes outside. Yes, there are a few items which are not suitable for a tumble dryer, but for those very few items just hang them inside.

As has been said, hanging clothes in a front garden is just not a nice thing to do. It reflects badly on the neighbourhood - and on the person doing it.

Tumble dryers cost electricity. They also age your clothes more than natural drying. Its not environmentally friendly either.

Go for it OP and ignore you ahole neighbours.

• Advertisement

No doubt if you're a middle-class kid you'll eventually move into your own home in a middle-class neighbourhood. I guarantee that you won't dry your clothes in your front garden then.

As a renter, in the meantime, you couldn't give a damn about your neighbours. Very classy indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭not even wrong

OP, as you can see from this thread there are an awful lot of busybodies out there with nothing better to do than worry about their neighbours' laundry. My advice is to ignore them and continue to dry your clothes in the most environmentally friendly and effective way.
    Gravale wrote:
    As a renter, in the meantime, you couldn't give a damn about your neighbours. Very classy indeed.
    Yes, and you couldn't give a damn about the pollution caused by your dryer. Very classy indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Ignore her and keep drying your clothes as you like. Yes it looks bad but hey houses are meant for living in and not just for looking good.

We have an apartment but with a garden and if we have good weather we hang our clothes out. It only gets sunlight up to lunch time so it's not always suitable. We got a tumble dryer and our electricity bill has increased noticeably.

So to avoid unnecessary expense keep hanging your clothes out once every two weeks. Sure it gives the local busybodies something to get incensed about!

We got a tumble dryer and our electricity bill has increased noticeably.

It's interesting to hear that old wives tale again, and that's all it is. A full load of washing takes about an hour to dry on a 2kw setting. Electricity costs 20p per kilowatt hour, therefore it costs 40p to dry a full machine load of clothes.

Neither am I convinced in the slightest about your concern for pollution and the environment. Clean water vapour being expelled into the atmosphere for an hour or two per week will hardly bring on Armageddon. It's fashionable to imply it though and makes you seem like a caring person. Hanging clothes in one's front garden indicates the opposite.

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭ger vallely

OP is not intending nuking Drumcondra (are you?).It's bloody washing,out drying. I am not a renter and it wouldn't bother me if the nearest renters dried their wash out front. Even a mankini is best if washed and dried in public if neccessary.Everyone needs to find something else to be bothered by. OP for mayor of Drumcondra I say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Elvis_Presley

how much free time must someone have to actually give a sh*t about something like this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Drumcondra has a very elderly population, I'd guess one of the oldest age profiles of any area in Dublin
    While most are lovely, others love to whinge and they certainly look down on renters.
    Doesn't stop them parking on the footpaths though, rules don't apply to them

It's your front garden, you're fine to dry your clothes there.

And be thankful you don't live inside the Croke Park cordon and have people taking a piss in your garden as that's something I had to deal with :rolleyes:

That old wan is lucky to have you as a neighbour if that's the worst she will have to deal with

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭MariMel

What does your lease say? You said you are renting.
    Every lease I have had says something about drying the clothes on railings or to the front of houses. Dont have a lease to hand to quote from. Just have a wee read of yours and see if you are permitted to dry your clothes outside the front of the house. If you are not, maybe ask your landlord about a tumble dryer stating how your clothes arent drying outside as back.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Its worth bearing in mind that if you ignore her and continue to put your clothes in the front garden there is a distinct possibility they might disappear some day! People like this tend to get petty when they think they are in the right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,402 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Kaner2004 wrote: »
    You can dry clothes out the front if you like. Nobody can stop you.
    But in fairness it does make a place look like a tenement.
    Less of this please.

Advertisement