Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drying clothes outside ahaha

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

If I was living nearby I wouldn't mind a clothes horse occasionally, but clothes on the railings is very odd. Besides anything else, house railings are usually pretty grimy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Putting your clothes out on a clothes horse behind the railings is none of anyone's business. Its a fact of modern life that clothes have to be hung out especially when the tumble dryer is crap\cost too much. A couple of hours does no harm to that aul wan.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

A long time ago - in the 1980s- when private apartments began to appear in the Isle of Dogs in London (the Isle of Dogs had hitherto been working class area with lots of tower blocks of council flats), there was a letter in the local paper. This letter asked that the council outlaw the drying of clothes on the balconies of the council flats, because it could be seen from the private blocks and it was unsightly.

The sound of laughter could be heard in Greenwich.

Some people also think you shouldn't grow vegetables in your front garden, only in your back.

The residents Association won't be coming to you as they know they haven't a leg to stand on; they probably won't listen to the complainer at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

A long time ago - in the 1980s- when private apartments began to appear in the Isle of Dogs in London (the Isle of Dogs had hitherto been working class area with lots of tower blocks of council flats), there was a letter in the local paper. This letter asked that the council outlaw the drying of clothes on the balconies of the council flats, because it could be seen from the private blocks and it was unsightly.

The sound of laughter could be heard in Greenwich.

Some people also think you shouldn't grow vegetables in your front garden, only in your back.

The residents Association won't be coming to you as they know they haven't a leg to stand on; they probably won't listen to the complainer at all.

Having lived in the US where I couldn't even hang a towel out in the hot sunshine, I wouldn't be so complacent that residents associations won't get those kind of powers here. Big brother might start watching here too:mad: To suggest buying a tumbledryer is first world insanity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

She probably run the residents association

On a waaaay offtopic note those associations in that area are crooked and bent anyway. [I'll back this up mods before ya ban me :eek:]

In the old days Croke Park gave out tickets to the associations, there was about twelve of them.
    In theory the tickets were supposed to shared and given out but the usual busybody families controlled the associations and gave them to friends, family or even just sold them

So Croke Park to their credit cracked down and now every year you have to register and the allocations are done by raffle.
    If you win you get a letter and you head up to reception to collect.
    The match tickets weren't free, just pay face value but there were free concert tickets.
    Well done to Croke Park, a far fairer way of doing it

And this thread reminds me when the floodlights were being discussed one group started quoting the UN and freedom of movement and human rights, night games were going to restrict all these for residents
    It was good to discuss the floodlights but that's just ridiculous :rolleyes:

Sorry, very offtopic :o
    Drumcondra is full of great people but a fair few old wans and busybodys

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Seomra Mushie

deaddonkey wrote: »
    There's a guy running a car alarm fitting service on the street

OMG, I know where you live! I used to live on that street. :cool: Yeah, the back yards get NO sun and are tiny and high-walled. Why not use a clothes-horse indoors by a sunny window?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Well, I'd agree that it doesn't look great to have laundry hanging in the front garden, but at the same time, you are not breaking any law.

A residents' association is just a group of locals who meet up to voluntarily organise things in an area. They have absolutely no legal power whatsoever and can't do anything.

However, she could start ringing your landlord and making trouble, so be careful not to infuriate her too much.

That being said, your landlord would have absolutely no grounds for evicting you either and would get into all sorts of hot water if he/she tried.

There's a huge fuss going on about this stuff in the United States where certain communities banned outdoor drying entirely. There's now "Right to Dry" movements as many people feel that excessive use of tumble dryers is very environmentally damaging.

If you're stuck in an area like that where there's no outdoor drying, and you have a budget, a heat-pump dryer actually saves a fortune. That's what we use! It's a type of condenser dryer, but it's a lot more sophisticated.

The hot steamy air from the dryer goes into the cool side of the heat pump, the heat is extracted, and moisture condensed, then the heat from that process is used to re-heat the air on the way back into the dryer.

It basically uses way less electricity and also dries the clothes without heating them up as hot as a traditional dryer.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,402 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The obvious solution is to invite her over to a party on a nice sunny afternoon, but have a mankini barbeque on the go with the lads. :D
    Kaner2004 wrote: »
    Thats not true. There is actually an environmental cost.
    Intermittent and temporary visual intrusion?
    planetX wrote: »
    Having lived in the US where I couldn't even hang a towel out in the hot sunshine, I wouldn't be so complacent that residents associations won't get those kind of powers here. Big brother might start watching here too:mad: To suggest buying a tumbledryer is first world insanity.
    I think it is in Washington DC, it's illegal to have male and female underwear hung together on a clothes line.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Victor wrote: »
    The obvious solution is to invite her over to a party on a nice sunny afternoon, but have a mankini barbeque on the go with the lads. :D

Intermittent and temporary visual intrusion?

I think it is in Washington DC, it's illegal to have male and female underwear hung together on a clothes line.

Apparently it has decimated the cross dressing community there:D

Advertisement