Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden is a mix of weeds&grass

Options
  • 13-04-2012 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭

Howdy, great to see the gardening forum so active

I've recently moved to a rented house and would like to start on the back garden soon. That's my problem, I'm not sure how...

It's about 40sqm, there are a lot of weeds, mostly quite small and the grass is light (not thick) with the odd bare patch along the wall.

I started to removed the weeds by hand but reckon there won't be much left if I pull them all up

What are my options?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭almighty1

You'll have to approach it two-pronged, firstly get rid of the weeds

1) I reckon the best way to kills weeds (if at all possible) is to remove them manually without the need for weedkiller. A blunt knife deep into the side of the root and lever it out. Try to disperse as few of those pesky seeds as possible.
    You could try this device if there are alot of weeds. http://www.hardwareireland.ie/store/product.php?id=1770

2) After removing as much of the weeds as possible you can buy fertiliser from the local co-op...Avonmore where I live. Personally I prefer 10-10-20 but some prefer 7-16-17, 40-50kg bag is plenty big enough for you size lawn. Make sure you use a decent spreader to ensure its evenly spread across the whole lawn. Also do it a day before a spell of rain is forecast and let the rain do the work.

Its important to remove/kill the weeds first as the fertiliser would bring on the weeds also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭Whyner

Thanks

So I can put the fertiliser on straight after I've finished weeding?

Would I get away with spreading the fertiliser by hand?

Advertisement