Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your thoughts on this rent or buy calculator

Options
  • 13-04-2012 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭

What you all think of this

http://www.myhome.ie/rentorbuy

i have my reservations just looking for overall opinion

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

It's from myhome.ie so you can automatically assume it will be skewed in favour of buying, those folks at the Irish Times are gagging to get the 2007 frenzy back as the paper itself is basically broke due to their own folly of spending €50 million buying myhome.ie.

Best to do the calculations yourself OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

dario28 wrote: »
    What you all think of this

http://www.myhome.ie/rentorbuy

i have my reservations just looking for overall opinion

Ignores property tax going up (the only way it's going), and ignores interest rates over 6%. Pfft.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭nukin_futs

Hmmm, if I am a renter how do I have 'capital owing'? Not clear to me.

Also I wonder what the assumptions are for the deposit paid when buying.

Reading some of the information they state that they are using 35 years as the term of the mortgage "in reality 35 years is actually the most popular term for first time buyers". I thought this would be the case because people were borrowing such large amounts - in 2006 I may have needed to borrow 400k to buy the house. To keep repayments (somewhat) manageable the term needs to be 35 years. Today I can borrow 250k and making the same repayments as above would only require 20/25 years.
    Edit: 30 years is used

Ignores household charge, property tax(es), any other rates/costs a home-owner may be liable for, costs of maintaining a property or management fees if applicable all of which a renter would not be subject to.

Useful as a guide but, as said, do the sums yourself.

[In 2006 estate agents told me I was mad to rent, that I should buy.
    Today, according to this, I should buy not rent.
    I wonder what this calculator would have suggested had it been available in 2006 :p]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭Kaner2004

Id say that anyone in the last few years, or finished their mortgage now would know which is better.

And people who own their own homes always think buying was better than renting. But renters always think renting is better than buying.

mmmmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭Villa05

This is a much better one from Ronan Lyons (Daft.ie economist)

http://www.ronanlyons.com/2010/04/20/your-very-own-rent-or-buy-calculator/

Good website also

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭Kaner2004

I love the way they always say "the life of the mortgage" as if the calculation should end once the mortgage is finished.
    Say you get a 25 year mortgage and live there for 50 years.
    Its not like you stop renting after 25 years or stop living in your house after the mortgage is paid off.

I also love the way they dont take stamp duty or property taxes into account either. All of these calculators are flawed.

Advertisement