Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car rental holding charge

Options
  • 13-04-2012 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭

Hi all,

I rented a car in England two weeks ago using a Visa Debit card. Does anyone know how long it takes for the "holding charge" to be released back to my account?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Hi all,

I rented a car in England two weeks ago using a Visa Debit card. Does anyone know how long it takes for the "holding charge" to be released back to my account?

Thanks in advance

Less than two weeks. Tell Visa to issue a chargeback.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭brian_bugle

So nothing to do with Ulster Bank themselves? Just ring Visa direct yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

So nothing to do with Ulster Bank themselves? Just ring Visa direct yeah?

Sorry, the Visa department in Ulster Bank.
    You might want to try contacting the rental company one more time to see what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

The charge usually drops off quite quickly. Contact your card provider (in your case Ulster Bank) to see what the story is with the charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Helpful point; these are called "pre-authorisations" or "pre-auths" in the banking world. They all expire, some quicker than others.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

I rented a car from Enterprise a while ago, it took 2 days to back on to my card after the rental was finished.
    It was a credit card though.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

RangeR wrote: »
    Less than two weeks. Tell Visa to issue a chargeback.

2 weeks, while long, is not unheard of.

And you can't chargeback an authorisation hold..it's not yet become an actual charge :)

Advertisement