Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Traveller beliefs

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

maiden wrote: »
    I know a lot of travellers my own age (40) and teen travellers,, and this is what they TOLD me, not my own opinions!

There are different classes within the traveller community

They do not believe in sex before marriage, but most of them do have sex before marriage.

Their biggest earners at the moment are insurance claims and drug dealing

The girls are there to be treated like second class citizens, and the girls are happy with this, all they want is the wedding and the man. A lot will end up in womens refuges but always go back.

They are very religious but do not practice what they hear.

Extremely supercistious!!

Above all true, also it's very difficult to marry within a different class. Girls who are found out to be sleeping with a guy, there is pressure brought on for them to marry.
    If a woman is widowed, no matter how young, it is hugely unlikely she will marry again. A widower is expected to remarry.
    Grabbing happens, but it's not that common in Ireland.
    Once a woman has finished her family, her sexual life ends. I remember a conversation with a middle aged woman who was shocked when I said settled women have sex lives into old age.
    Things are changing slowly for traveller women. Some now use contraception, have their own bank accounts, drive. But they are still at least a generation behind the settled community regarding gender roles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭p to the e

NEScart wrote: »
    Funny enough I should read this thread.

I was talking to my friend on Wednesday evening and he mentioned how his dad had a bit of a run in with travellers in his job. To make a long story short his dad's job often involves him shifting gear to be thrashed or recycled. On Wednesday he was loading stuff up on the truck. One item was an old boiler (open bed style truck)

Cue two travellers get out of their van trying to get the boiler for free... "here, i'll take that off ya fella, save the trouble" style crap outta them :rolleyes: (for those who dont know boilers are made from copper. which can earn you a few bob when brought to the scrap yard) My mate's dad knows what they are at and politely says "no" - and cue the travellers trying it on harder - "no" still - then they try on a bit of intimidation - but still "no!" followed by "get lost!"

I will give this to my mate's dad tho. I have often heard him say you gotta be firm and tough with travellers. This example is just another case why. Personally having dealt with a few in my time. I think they are all scum. Surely someone will quote me on that to disgaree :rolleyes: no doubt a person who has no first hand experience dealing with them :rolleyes: and NO opening your door to them as they are selling carpets doenst count :rolleyes:

Am I the only one who read the quote in a Brad Pitt in Snatch voice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

I was talking to my friend on Wednesday evening and he mentioned how his dad had a bit of a run in with travellers in his job. To make a long story short his dad's job often involves him shifting gear to be thrashed or recycled. On Wednesday he was loading stuff up on the truck. One item was an old boiler (open bed style truck)

Cue two travellers get out of their van trying to get the boiler for free... "here, i'll take that off ya fella, save the trouble" style crap outta them :rolleyes: (for those who dont know boilers are made from copper. which can earn you a few bob when brought to the scrap yard) My mate's dad knows what they are at and politely says "no" - and cue the travellers trying it on harder - "no" still - then they try on a bit of intimidation - but still "no!" followed by "get lost!"

I will give this to my mate's dad tho. I have often heard him say you gotta be firm and tough with travellers. This example is just another case why. Personally having dealt with a few in my time. I think they are all scum. Surely someone will quote me on that to disgaree :rolleyes: no doubt a person who has no first hand experience dealing with them :rolleyes: and NO opening your door to them as they are selling carpets doenst count :rolleyes:
    Maybe the un-necessary rolleyes are distracting me, but is the nub that the travellers in question thought he was dumping the copper boiler and were offering to take it off his hands?

I don't understand what's so offensive to you about this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

I came another 'traveller belief' yesterday. The one they think entitles them to invade anywhere of their choosing at any time. On the Carrickphierish Road in Waterford city, two new council estates have been built near two private estates. All were built in or around the same time.

A "social housing scheme" (halting site, complete with bays for caravans and stables for horses) was provided adjacent to this. Not content with this, yesterday afternoon around 15 vans and trailers occupied an unused site nearby. This is the umpteenth tome they have done this in that area.

And they wonder why people are "offended" to put it mildly? And then you get people on forums like this trying to defend their "culture" and their actions. Give me a break.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭Damokc

"Why are they called travelers if the never f**king go anywhere?"

- Tommy Tiernan

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

later12 wrote: »
    Maybe the un-necessary rolleyes are distracting me, but is the nub that the travellers in question thought he was dumping the copper boiler and were offering to take it off his hands?

I don't understand what's so offensive to you about this.

Are you being selective in what you read or did you miss the bit where when being politely told no they became steadly more and more forceful and aggressive?

Are you being selective in what you read or did you miss the bit where when being politely told no they became steadly more and more forceful and aggressive?

Forceful and aggressive?

I thought he said, rather vaguely, that they "tried on a bit of intimidation".

Oh sorry am I doing it wrong?

Rabble rabble rabble scumbags etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

I have plenty of experience with them and more than just opening a door as they sold carpets. They are not all scum. Funny how you want other peoples experience to go beyond a mere encounter while your own view is based on an encounter that happened to your friends father. :rolleyes:

Forceful and aggressive?

I thought he said, rather vaguely, that they "tried on a bit of intimidation".

Oh sorry am I doing it wrong?

Rabble rabble rabble scumbags etc.
    And how did they intimidate do you think?

Oh you know, probably by setting their dogs on the man and driving over him repeatedly with their caravan, while cackling about their rampant social welfare fraud.

I hope that suits the narrative.

• Advertisement

Oh you know, probably by setting their dogs on the man and driving over him repeatedly with their caravan, while cackling about their rampant social welfare fraud.

I hope that suits the narrative.
    No Im being genuine. How did two adult males intimidate another? Physically or did they suggest that they will frape his Facebook profile or scribble in his copy book?
    Seeing as i live in the area of Longford where the last traveller shooting a few weeks ago took place and am not a little surprised that it happened I think it may have been physical. Or am I knieve?

He never said the word aggressive, now your just making stuff up to prove a point because regardless of what actually happened, the fact that they were travellers automatically makes them aggressive people to you. He said "they tried a bit of intimidation", some people are pushy. With ad hoc scrap metal dealers your gonna get a lot of pushy dodgy characters. I've seen plenty and they aint all travellers either.

No Im being genuine. How did two adult males intimidate another? Physically or did they suggest that they will frape his Facebook profile or scribble in his copy book?
    Seeing as i live in the area of Longford where the last traveller shooting a few weeks ago took place and am not a little surprised that it happened I think it may have been physical. Or am I knieve?

Same way two insurance salesmen try to put the squeeze on to buy insurance. I have met plenty of pushy travellers but never once have I met, seen or heard of anyone here being on the end of traveller agression because they wanted scrap metal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

MungBean wrote: »
    Same way two insurance salesmen try to put the squeeze on to buy insurance. I have met plenty of pushy travellers but never once have I met, seen or heard of anyone here being on the end of traveller agression because they wanted scrap metal.

I've been on the end of traveller aggression because they wanted a cigarette.

mackg wrote: »

So therefore all travellers are scum ? Nah, you just happened on an arsehole. I've met them before too, from all walks of life.

So therefore all travellers are scum ? Nah, you just happened on an arsehole. I've met them before too, from all walks of life.

The bold bit of the first post is what i was replying to, I wasn't implying all travellers were scum. You said that not me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Of course there are plenty of good travellers.

The graveyard is full of them :D:D:D:D:D:D

Their culture is take whatever they want from society and give nothing back.

The bold bit of the first post is what i was replying to, I wasn't implying all travellers were scum. You said that not me.

Didnt mean to put words in your mouth I was just continuing the same point as you commented on is all, I assumed you were defending it. Which was in relation to someone saying all travellers were scum and pointing to an incident with their friends father who was intimidated over scrap as proof of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

BattleCorp wrote: »
    The graveyard is full of them :D:D:D:D:D:D

You can't miss their headstones anyway

Monstrosities and totally classless

mikemac1 wrote: »
    You can't miss their headstones anyway

Monstrosities and totally classless

As an aside; my mother was in a graveyard recently where she an ornament on one grave of a huge cigarette, must have been a big smoker.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

smcgiff wrote: »
    First I've ever heard of grabbing - it looks like what's going on in that Youtube video should get you 5 years plus in jail. The cries and distress seemed genuine and not put on for the show.

It's fairly ****ing disgusting actually, and apart from moaning on a message board, not doing anything about it. :(:o

Apparently the girls are supposed to shriek and cry out when they are grabbed - if they don't protest enough, they are deemed 'easy'. If they put up enough of a fight, then they pass the test and are seen as fit to be a bride. So there is an element of theatrics about it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

As an aside; my mother was in a graveyard recently where she an ornament on one grave of a huge cigarette, must have been a big smoker.

Or a massive fag.

Im currently in lock down where i work. Mine is the closest building to the local cemetary with a bar and toilets. A major traveller funeral is taking place, a riot is practically guaranteed and the Guards have advised us to close up shop for two hours.
    What a wonderful culture this ethnic minority have.
    Stay tuned for updates:mad:

Change the fcukin record :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

When they stop causing hassle it will

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Seachmall wrote: »
    Customs are being on the road, y'know, a traveller.

Beliefs are rigid Catholic beliefs (my arse).

Thou shalt not steal

Im currently in lock down where i work. Mine is the closest building to the local cemetary with a bar and toilets. A major traveller funeral is taking place, a riot is practically guaranteed and the Guards have advised us to close up shop for two hours.
    Stay tuned for updates:mad:

Maybe you'll be lucky and get a group of them decent majority of travellers i keep hearing about.

But lets face it the odds aren't good!

As for the scummy "minority" you got to hand it to them, they fúcking get about! In fact, it seems to be all i encounter, the decent ones are probably too busy working or cleaning up after themselves or something.
    I suppose thats why they call them travellers........although if i'm honest, that's not what i call them!

As soon as the song becomes irrelevant mate....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭Knight who says Meh

Is that the best you can come up with to someone who is locked into their place of work, probably losing business at a time when it can be ill afforded?

Is that the best you can come up with to someone who is locked into their place of work, probably losing business at a time when it can be ill afforded?

Yeah I'm sure the two hours they were closed will cripple the business.

Still dont see any updates on the expected riots. Would I be too far off the mark Ghost Buster in saying fcuk all happened after all ? Just another funeral with people mourning a lost loved one ? Did these scumbags actually do anything to offend you today other than go to a funeral ?

• Advertisement

Yeah I'm sure the two hours they were closed will cripple the business. Being so close to a graveyard at the time of a funeral is probably their busiest time of the day.

Still dont see any updates on the expected riots. Would I be too far off the mark Ghost Buster in saying fcuk all happened after all ? Just another funeral with people mourning a lost loved one ? Did these scumbags actually do anything to offend you today other than go to a funeral ?
    Why should any business have to close? Why do you seem to think that this is acceptable.
    We still have not re-opened as there is a heavy police presence in the area, there are actually road blocks and diversions in place around the town keeping different families and factions separate. Does this sound like "Just another funeral with people mourning a lost loved one" to you?
    But this is just fine and dandy to you is it? The fact that my business is in difficulty and has now been shut down for several hours is not a big deal?

Why should any business have to close? Why do you seem to think that this is acceptable.
    We still have not re-opened as there is a heavy police presence in the area, there are actually road blocks and diversions in place around the town keeping different families and factions separate. Does this sound like "Just another funeral with people mourning a lost loved one" to you?
    But this is just fine and dandy to you is it? The fact that my business is in difficulty and has now been shut down for several hours is not a big deal?

Of course its a big deal if your losing business and theres warring scum outside your door. But if you want people to know whats going on tell them. "Theres a traveller funeral on, we closed the pub for a couple hours" isnt "road blocks, factions, heavy garda presense, world war 3".

Your not exactly very forthcoming with the details here. Alls we knew prior to that last post was you were closing a pub for a couple hours because of a traveller funeral. Now its a war zone.

Then again you could very well be entirely full of shít.

Of course its a big deal if your losing business and theres warring scum outside your door. But if you want people to know whats going on tell them. "Theres a traveller funeral on, we closed the pub for a couple hours" isnt "road blocks, factions, heavy garda presense, world war 3".

Your not exactly very forthcoming with the details here. Alls we knew prior to that last post was you were closing a pub for a couple hours because of a traveller funeral. Now its a war zone.

Then again you could very well be entirely full of shít.
    Jumping to conclusions and addressing any point you cannot counter or accept as it offends your ultra PC notions as 'full of ****' isnt very good now is it.
    Its not a pub, never said it is. Its a theatre with a cafe, bar and ticket office and we are attempting to take deliveries of sets, costumes and technical equipment which is kinda difficult under these circumstances.

Nice to see you change from:
    to

Of course its a big deal if your losing business .

Perhaps youre not as full of **** as you have claimed I am (Naughty):(.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

If instead of water tax and household charges they brought in taxation on the absolute retards that roam this country and use the internet, with their stereotypical views and uninformed bandwagon jumping, we would be out of debt and in the green.

Christ this place is turning into the Daily Mail I swear.

TheDoc wrote: »
    If instead of water tax and household charges they brought in taxation on the absolute retards that roam this country and use the internet, with their stereotypical views and uninformed bandwagon jumping, we would be out of debt and in the green.

Christ this place is turning into the Daily Mail I swear.
    Who do you refer to?
    The uninformed are those who ignore what is infront of their eyes in favour of a rose tinted view of how they imagine it should be.
    Theres a programme on at Nine O'Clock called The News. This might help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Who do you refer to?
    The uninformed are those who ignore what is infront of their eyes in favour of a rose tinted view of how they imagine it should be.
    Theres a programme on at Nine O'Clock called The News. This might help.

?

It was essentially in reference to anyone who felt we wouldn't be paying out more in tax over the coming years.....

o lol, was there actually people who thought we could get out of this with public expenditure cuts?

This won't be the last tax we will be getting, so get used to it.

Interesting to see more protesting, please, moar. With not one ****ing valid alternative to removing a crippling debt.

And " Make the bank0rs pay!!!!" and " Cut public sect0r!!!" or " Make the government fukkkers pay mannn?!?"

Are not valid alternatives?

Anyone?

Nobody?

awwwww

• Advertisement

Jumping to conclusions and addressing any point you cannot counter or accept as it offends your ultra PC notions as 'full of ****' isnt very good now is it.
    Its not a pub, never said it is. Its a theatre with a cafe, bar and ticket office and we are attempting to take deliveries of sets, costumes and technical equipment which is kinda difficult under these circumstances.

Nice to see you change from:
    to

Of course its a big deal if your losing business .

Perhaps youre not as full of **** as you have claimed I am (Naughty):(.

Theres a big difference between closing up shop for a couple hours because theres travellers around (your initial post) and the Garda have the place closed off with blockades trying to separate warring factions.

Regardless being closed for a couple hours isnt going to cripple a business imo so I havent changed anything.

And once again you cant complain about people jumping to conclusions when you only explain the situation enough to have a go. You gave a scenario and proceeded to bitch about traveller culture. I commented on that and now the scenario has changed. Convenient isnt it ? Like I said I dont know anything other than what your telling me and I know from this thread you hate travellers. So I'm taking all this with a pinch of salt is all I'm saying.

TheDoc wrote: »
    ?

It was essentially in reference to anyone who felt we wouldn't be paying out more in tax over the coming years.....

o lol, was there actually people who thought we could get out of this with public expenditure cuts?

This won't be the last tax we will be getting, so get used to it.

Interesting to see more protesting, please, moar. With not one ****ing valid alternative to removing a crippling debt.

And " Make the bank0rs pay!!!!" and " Cut public sect0r!!!" or " Make the government fukkkers pay mannn?!?"

Are not valid alternatives?

Anyone?

Nobody?

awwwww

This is a thread about traveller beliefs. Water charges is that way
    >

Theres a big difference between closing up shop for a couple hours because theres travellers around (your initial post) and the Garda have the place closed off with blockades trying to separate warring factions.

Regardless being closed for a couple hours isnt going to cripple a business imo so I havent changed anything.

And once again you cant complain about people jumping to conclusions when you only explain the situation enough to have a go. You gave a scenario and proceeded to bitch about traveller culture. I commented on that and now the scenario has changed. Convenient isnt it ? Like I said I dont know anything other than what your telling me and I know from this thread you hate travellers. So I'm taking all this with a pinch of salt is all I'm saying.
    Do you understand the linear nature of time.?
    The Guards advised us to shut up shop for the duration of the funeral. Consequently we discovered that as travellers were coming in from a few approach roads to the town the Guards responded by diverting traffic away from certain areas. Due to my ability to see the future i did not mention this in my initial post. You jumped to the conclusion that we are a pub as i mentioned drink and toilets which is what would be the attraction. I dont think flocking in to book tickets for the forth coming production of Cat on a hot tin roof' is likely for this ethnic group.
    The scenario didnt change. It developed. Time being linear and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Pump up the wheels Johnny we're moving!

Due to my ability to see the future i did not mention this in my initial post. You jumped to the conclusion that we are a pub as i mentioned drink and toilets which is what would be the attraction. I dont think flocking in to book tickets for the forth coming production of Cat on a hot tin roof' is likely for this ethnic group.
    The scenario didnt change. It developed. Time being linear and all that.

Assuming you work in a bar has nothing to do with anything the scenario was your place of business closed for a couple of hours while a funeral was on. If you didnt know what was gonna happen and didnt say what was happening how the fcuk am I supposed to know what was happening/did happen ?

See this "?" thats a question mark used when someone asks a questions.

See that ? That me asking you what happened.

Problem here is you have taken issue with me saying that closing for two hours wont cripple the business and assuming you worked in a pub. In other words you have fcuk all to take issue with. And your using them to have a rant about having to close the place. Cabin fever perhaps, cant be easy being stuck at work all day. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

As I have - and others looking for a "fiver for diesel boss".

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭RedFFWolf

My friends & I can recount something around 10-15 separate encounters with traveller youth ranging the ages of I'd say 12-25 in the short space of a year, and stories too of many others I know, and I have to say there's no good picture painted of them here up in Balbriggan. These encounters range from intimidation, theft and assault, and though I wasn't there for all of these times, I can attest to there being no provocation from my friends. (The times I was not there were actually mainly of my friends just walking by, some travellers come up and assault them right there and then on the spot - my friends have never fought back except for one once, who was never bothered since then!).
    What was quite interesting was every so often we'd hear the following boast "We're the Pikeys", followed normally by some kind of "we're tough, don't mess with us" comment - it was like using their identity (even with the derogatory slang term) to provoke intimidation. If they want to fight at regular occurrences because its their "culture", (and this idea went around a lot back in the time of my secondary school years), then they should keep it to themselves 'cause its not for many others!

Does anyone know about the May 2009 incident in Balbriggan where a group of travellers took over John D's pub? When talking about what they were doing, there were phrases like "we're doing it out of spite" and something along the lines of "if they try to bar us, it'll be discrimination". Shouting the 'd' word seems to invoke this impression of a "getting out of jail free card".
    I have no idea why they thought they could get away with what they were doing on the basis that they were travellers.

(Here's some sources for those who don't know - it's old news now so I can't pull out better sources http://pavee.ie/mediamonitor/?p=1227 http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055555764&page=3 http://www.herald.ie/news/brothers-in-90k-pub-riot-said-were-in-charge-now-2250845.html)

It's such a pity - a bad thing is almost always recalled more than a good: I'm sure there are many decent (in terms of your average Joe [no name stereotyping intended]) travellers in Balbriggan and many other areas, but it seems at times a case of if you do something right (i.e. in this case, behave sufficiently), then people won't know you've done anything at all (i.e. in this case, show you are a traveller and as regular, sufficiently behaving as others).

Assuming you work in a bar has nothing to do with anything the scenario was your place of business closed for a couple of hours while a funeral was on. If you didnt know what was gonna happen and didnt say what was happening how the fcuk am I supposed to know what was happening/did happen ?

See this "?" thats a question mark used when someone asks a questions.

See that ? That me asking you what happened.

Problem here is you have taken issue with me saying that closing for two hours wont cripple the business and assuming you worked in a pub. In other words you have fcuk all to take issue with. And your using them to have a rant about having to close the place. Cabin fever perhaps, cant be easy being stuck at work all day. :rolleyes:

I:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:You accused me of changing my story. I didnt. The day developed:

You say i have nothing to take issue with despite the fact that i mentioned our cafe and ticket office lost hours of business, crew and performaners had difficulty accessing the building and deliveries of equipment got delayed.
    Ok then. Youre right. Nothing to take issue with.:rolleyes:
    Lets face it. You are a bleeding heart and despite countless incidences of this sort of behaviour you will trot out the same old line.

I:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:You accused me of changing my story. I didnt. The day developed:

You say i have nothing to take issue with despite the fact that i mentioned our cafe and ticket office lost hours of business, crew and performaners had difficulty accessing the building and deliveries of equipment got delayed.
    Ok then. Youre right. Nothing to take issue with.:rolleyes:
    Lets face it. You are a bleeding heart and despite countless incidences of this sort of behaviour you will trot out the same old line.

Look it this all started when I took issue with you saying "What a lovely culture this ethnic minority has". Then someone came along with "There's a recession on blah blah blah". Does the fact that theres a recession make it any worse that what happened happened ? No it doesnt, I'm sure its not nice, I'm sure we'd all rather the place remained open but Its not an argument against traveller culture its the old "We're in a recession" line.

I havent argued you would lose anything or your work should close or that it wasnt a big deal which is what you have your knickers in a twist over. And talk about the same old lines, yeah I'm a bleeding heart and ultra pc because I dont denounce every traveller man, woman and child across the country because a few of them a scum. I'd call it cop on myself but whatever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Robdude

I'm new to Ireland; I haven't heard of travellers?

Is it a religion or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭Knight who says Meh

Look it this all started when I took issue with you saying "What a lovely culture this ethnic minority has". Then someone came along with "There's a recession on blah blah blah". Does the fact that theres a recession make it any worse that what happened happened ? No it doesnt, I'm sure its not nice, I'm sure we'd all rather the place remained open but Its not an argument against traveller culture its the old "We're in a recession" line.

I havent argued you would lose anything or your work should close or that it wasnt a big deal which is what you have your knickers in a twist over. And talk about the same old lines, yeah I'm a bleeding heart and ultra pc because I dont denounce every traveller man, woman and child across the country because a few of them a scum. I'd call it cop on myself but whatever.

Its strange how 'a few' can be enough of a worry to Guards all over the country that time and time again large scale operations must be carried out at weddings and funerals. That riots such as those in Mullingar can close down regional hospital and require the drafting in of units from as far away as Dublin. Or was it the same few who released tear gas and sparked another riot around Longford clinic? Perhaps this same handful travelled to Dublin to start the feud which saw shots fired at unconnected peoples houses in Kilronan Avenue before spreading out to Navan.
    Strange also how a minority group can have a minority of their own minority cause all of this trouble and criminality whilst the settled community dont seem to have running riots and feuds on the same level. Surely statistically there should be feuds with slash hooks and cross bows happening in grave yards all the time?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Beliefs? That they should all get their haircut like this guy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

They believe that they can go where they like and do what they like.
    Leave heaps of rubbish behind them , Rob whoever they like...and nobody will say anything to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Il Trap

Its strange how 'a few' can be enough of a worry to Guards all over the country that time and time again large scale operations must be carried out at weddings and funerals. That riots such as those in Mullingar can close down regional hospital and require the drafting in of units from as far away as Dublin. Or was it the same few who released tear gas and sparked another riot around Longford clinic? Perhaps this same handful travelled to Dublin to start the feud which saw shots fired at unconnected peoples houses in Kilronan Avenue before spreading out to Navan.
    Strange also how a minority group can have a minority of their own minority cause all of this trouble and criminality whilst the settled community dont seem to have running riots and feuds on the same level. Surely statistically there should be feuds with slash hooks and cross bows happening in grave yards all the time?
    I second all of this. Sick to the teeth of traveller apologists making excuses for them. They are, in general, a destructive and parasitic group who contribute sweet FA to society and are tolerated under the pretence that their pseudo-culture is something that should valued and indulged. The fact that many aspects of what is considered 'traveller culture' are allowed to perpetuate into future generations is simply tragic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Robdude wrote: »
    I'm new to Ireland; I haven't heard of travellers?

Is it a religion or something?

Light a candle beside a mirror close your eyes and say "boss" three times. When you open your eyes your gates/dog/fuel/tyres will be gone

magic!

• Advertisement
Advertisement