Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ford Ranger

• 13-04-2012 12:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭

Has anyone got one or its mazda equivalent?

We have a 06 Mitsi L200 and i had it in my head that it would be good to change it up while it was still worth something. It has only 60,000 miles and never gave a bother.

I've had some contact with guy who has a couple of rangers for sale. I have test driven one and it seems like a very nice machine. It is very smooth (clutch and gearbox) in comparison to the L200 and it has a little more space.

I wonder what its like to pull a trailer?

(Both machines described above are single cabs, but I'd appreciate your experience even if you have a crewcab).

It would cost me €6000 to go up 4 years and the Ranger only has 22,000 miles.

Opinions please. But don't feed me the spiel about Hi-lux's or Landcruisers as neither is in my price bracket.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

I know a farmer that is on his second he seems to be happy enough with it not doing a lot of work with it ie he is not hauling for other people only for himself. On there ability to tow I be more worried about it legal towing capacity as it is something that the Traffic squad are starting to check up on a little more each year.
    Personally if I was only doing the milage that you are doing I would hold onto the L200 and drive it into the ground and find somthing else to spend the 6000 on. Also if diesel gets a lot more expensive will you still need a crew cab I know they are handy but there are a good few out there and if I want someone to move a few cattle to somewhere 50-70 euro seems to solve the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Personally if I was only doing the milage that you are doing I would hold onto the L200 and drive it into the ground and find somthing else to spend the 6000 on. Also if diesel gets a lot more expensive will you still need a crew cab I know they are handy but there are a good few out there and if I want someone to move a few cattle to somewhere 50-70 euro seems to solve the problem.

Its a single cab. Practically all of the mileage that it does is with a trailer. If you had to pay someone else to do that for you, it would be a fortune.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭colrow

Is it still only €50 vrt to import a van ? These people have cheap late models in Newmains near Glasgow I'm allways of thinking of buying one but I bought a boat instead

www.vanmonster.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

reilig wrote: »
    Its a single cab. Practically all of the mileage that it does is with a trailer. If you had to pay someone else to do that for you, it would be a fortune.

If all the milage is towing then you have use for it however I see lads with these and jeeps and a trailer is not behind them 20 times a year. However if you only have 60,000 miles on it I be inclined to drive it into the ground in twelve years time you will have 180,000 miles on it I be slow upgrading because it seems that things are cheap at present. I cannot see second hand crewcabs/pickups getting any more expensive as there are alot of them out there and because of the price of diesel nobody is buying them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 224 ✭✭Conflats

We have an older mazda version (04) but pulls a 12ft ifor williams trailer full no bother not to bad on fuel, only thing I would say is the back of them are very light and once you go above 50mph you'll fell it rise, in the frosty weather we just put some bags of meal or coal in the back and its grand, put a new clutch in it 2 weeks ago btw she has 150,000miles on it and would be pulling a trailer 3 days a week in spring from mart and bringing cattle out
    Only thing i would say is they arent comfortable at high speeds but we find it a great jeep

• Advertisement
Advertisement