Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor 99% Coverage

Options
  • 13-04-2012 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭

I recently signed up for Meteor's 30 euros a month iPhone bill pay plan with 1GB of data per month. I love the advertising they do which states they have 99% coverage in Ireland. Well for someone who works in county Dublin and commutes to Dublin city it's quite surprising at the amount of times signal drops to one or two bars or sometimes disappears completely. So when they say coverage, they mean in 99% of Ireland you should be able to get one bar or more. The problem is you can't really make a phone call on one or two bars.

Also, 3G has been around for a while but it seems to only half exist on Meteor's network? Half of the time I'm on their EDGE network which is about as fast as a 56K modem.

Is any network really better?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

dutopia wrote: »
    I love the advertising they do which states they have 99% coverage in Ireland.

That's 99% population coverage, not 99% geographical coverage. ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

It is in its hole 99% population coverage. I doubt if Meteor deliver a usable signal to any more than 75% and the remainder is Vodafone Roaming.

Even at that the 75% get a lot of random drops and lockups, far more than on Voda or O2.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭dutopia

Paulw wrote: »
    That's 99% population coverage, not 99% geographical coverage. ;)

Very clever :)

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭craoltoir

I know people who switched from Meteor because of poor coverage. O2 and Vodafone have far better coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    It is in its hole 99% population coverage. I doubt if Meteor deliver a usable signal to any more than 75% and the remainder is Vodafone Roaming

Meteor do Voda roaming as well as Three? are you sure?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

RangeR wrote: »

No, Meteor have their own network, and don't roam on any other network in Ireland.

True, only Three subscribers share the Vodafone network.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

RangeR wrote: »

Meteor roam on vodafone in parts of the west of Ireland as far as I know. Will try find evidence

http://forums.meteor.ie/t5/Coverage/Meteor-national-roaming-agreement-with-Vodafone/td-p/24807

• Registered Users Posts: 33,997 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Havent had any meteor issues tbh in South Dublin what so ever.

Sure it aint that rubbish Iphone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

I live in Dublin (6W) which is only a few miles from the city centre and it seems to be like the black hole of Calcutta for a phone signal on Meteor.
    I've rang them about it but there has been no improvement. I could understand if I was in the middle of nowhere, but its Dublin city FFS should always be a good signal.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭grinder23

Paulw wrote: »
    No, Meteor have their own network, and don't roam on any other network in Ireland.

True, only Three subscribers share the Vodafone network.

meteor do roam on vodafone in places of no meteor coverage, i frequently change to vodafone coverage when im in the odd spot where i lose signal and i can switch it manually anytime i like.

when i manually search i get 2 meteor networks,three and o2 but no voda but the 2nd meteor on the list is vodafone also you dont get 3g access while on it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement