Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Miyamoto wants new Link to the Past

Options
  • 13-04-2012 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭

Can I get a high five? :D
    Best gaming news I've heard in weeks...
    Shigeru Miyamoto wants to see a new Zelda game in the style of A Link to the Past for the SNES. When recently asked whether he was still intent on porting the SNES title as a 3D classic for the Nintendo 3DS, the legendary designer indicated he had a more original approach in mind.

"I think the answer would be the same if we're talking about just porting," Miyamoto told Edge in a recent interview, "but I think I'd be even more interested in creating something new maybe based on, or starting from, A Link To The Past. I think it's important to bring some really new software."

More here: http://ie.ds.ign.com/articles/122/1222868p1.html

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Nothing to get excited about. Nintendo have been remaking LttP for the past 20 years.

Still Miyamoto coming back to zelda would be something, he hasn't had anything other than an advisory role on the series since Ocarina.

I'd still much rather see something like the ideas in Majora's Mask explored.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Not sure about that, Retr0..... I've played all 2D Zelda's since LTTP, and none have come close to that in term of quality (apart from maybe Links Awakening). Spirit Tracks, the Oracle Games, Phantom Hourglass and Four Swords didn't have the magic of LTTP.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's not the quality I'm referring to it's just that other than Majora's Mask the zelda games have basically followed the same progress structure of LttP some so much so that they could be classed as remakes. Very little has changed in the series since LttP, Ocarina being the biggest jump but still, I don't think there's an item in that game that wasn't in LttP. I'd much rather they said they'd be shaking the series up a bit instead of making minor additions.

I think Miyamoto coming back would be a good thing, the guy is a bag of ideas but if it's being handled by the usual zelda team we'll get a very safe zelda. It probably will be a good one but a very safe one which could be called LttP 2 or zelda and the flying goat of timbuktoo and it wouldn't really make much of a difference.

As much as I enjoyed skyward Sword it was also my most disappointing game of last year. The series needs a good shaking up and really a sequel to LttP doesn't suggest this so far. Maybe we'll see more at E3. Miyamoto could do something clever with 3D, after all he is the king of playing to a systems strenghts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Mr E wrote: »
    Not sure about that, Retr0..... I've played all 2D Zelda's since LTTP, and none have come close to that in term of quality (apart from maybe Links Awakening). Spirit Tracks, the Oracle Games, Phantom Hourglass and Four Swords didn't have the magic of LTTP.

I totally agree good as the later one's where and they were very very good imo they just didn't have that what ever it was that LttP had. Maybe it's just the memory and nostalgia I have for the game.

I'm not against remakes or ports at all so don't want to write a new LttP off but I doubt I'll feel the same way about it as the original, it's hard to improve upon perfection :P

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

N-Europe wrote:
    However, Miyamoto seemed keen to ward off speculation that such a title was actually in development, suggesting it would ultimately be up to whether Nintendo's current crop of directors had the time.

"To be very honest and open, it really depends on the directors that have time at the moment as well. Some directors, I can give them the title and I know they will do something great with it. Other directors I'm not so 100 per cent confident [in], so they're the ones I'd rather take a more remake approach to the title. It really depends on that as well."
    So only thinking about it, rather than actually doing anything with it, and not doing it himself... :(
    http://n-europe.com/news.php?nid=16890

• Advertisement
Advertisement