Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stout recommendations

• 13-04-2012 1:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

I'm normally an Ale drinker but want to expand my horizons a bit so I'm thinking of trying out some stouts.

Any recommendations for a good introduction?
    I've heard good things about O'Haras Leann Follain?

Thanks!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Dungarvan black rock, Trouble brewing dark arts and 8 Degrees Knockmealdown Porter are must try

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

If you are just looking for Irish beers, Leann Follain is by far and away the best stout produced on this Island.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Hmm. I'll be checking out everything mentioned in this thread as my suggestion was going to be a pint of plain from the porterhouse! I don't really trust stouts out of cans/bottles, that can change!

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭pdebarra

I'd recommend O'Hara's Stout (regular) over their Leann Folláin.

I've yet to find the Dark Arts or the Knockmealdown (not easy to come by in Donegal!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

What sort of ale do you normally drink?

Where are you based... some places have a better supply than others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Glebee

Maybe its just me but I find 8 Degrees Knockmealdown Porter the nicest at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

I really like the Porterhouse Celebration Stout and Dungarvan Coffee & Oatmeal Stout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

All of the esteemed beverages mentioned in this thread are well worth trying.

My overall favourite is probably O'Hara's Leann Follain, but 8 Degrees' Knockmealdown Porter is a bit lighter and may be better suited to the summer weather, should we happen to get any!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

KJ wrote: »
    I really like the Porterhouse Celebration Stout and Dungarvan Coffee & Oatmeal Stout.

I love the coffee and oatmeal but it's only available during winter IIRC

The porterhouse celebration is also really nice

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭shaneor

n97 mini wrote: »
    What sort of ale do you normally drink?

Where are you based... some places have a better supply than others.

I'd usually go for a pale ale with Galway hooker or sierra nevada my regulars.

I'm in Cork fairly regularly so should have good options between Bradleys & Abbots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Seaneh wrote: »
    If you are just looking for Irish beers, Leann Follain is by far and away the best stout produced on this Island.

One of my favourites but I would not go so far as to say it's the best.

This year, that distinction went to Shandon Century from the Franciscan well. That was for 2011 by the way. It is however a very limited release and is probably all gone now so Leann Folláin FTW.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,079 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

shaneor wrote: »
    I'm in Cork fairly regularly so should have good options between Bradleys & Abbots.

Try a pint of Dark Arts in The Abbot's.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭shaneor

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. I picked up a Leann Follain and a Knockmealdown Porter in Abbots over the weekend so looking forward to trying those soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

Leann Follain and Guinness Foreign Extra are my two favourite stouts, though they are probably best described as "extra stouts" or something different to drinks like Guinness of O'Hara's Stout (they're stronger, both in alcohol content and flavour).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,531 ✭✭✭Heroditas

O'Hara's Druid's Brew is effin' marvellous if you can get it on draught! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Am I the only one who things Leann Follain isn't all that? It's not a bad stout - extremely drinkable, but I wouldn't go mad for it.

If you can find Dark Arts or Shandon Stout on cask, snap 'em up, I've seldom had better than either.

Dark Arts would have to my my no.1 on gas. Was unfortunately disappointed with Stormy Port from Galway Bay :(

Not tried bottled DA as yet, but I'd strongly recommend 8degrees' Knoclmealdown Porter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,531 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Treadhead wrote: »
    Am I the only one who things Leann Follain isn't all that? It's not a bad stout - extremely drinkable, but I wouldn't go mad for it.

If you can find Dark Arts or Shandon Stout on cask, snap 'em up, I've seldom had better than either.

I'd be of the same opinion as yourself!

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭White_Wolf

Heroditas wrote: »
    I'd be of the same opinion as yourself!

Dark Arts will be on tap in Hollands in Bray pretty soon, for anyone interested.

If any of you like imperial Stouts, try YETI from Divine Brewing Co. great imperial stout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Leann Follain is very tasty (i.e I will buy it again) but I actually prefer Black Rock stout and Beamish (going to get slapped for saying that, IDGAF)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

i dont think anyone will slap you for sayi.g you prefer beamish. its not a bad beer and anyone who says it is, is an idoit. black rock would be a lot more like the big 3. if like that id say give porterhouse plain or O'Haras Irish Stout a lash. both in the same mould and both very nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

Porterhouse Plain is lovely. Recently had their Celebration Stout as well, it's delicious but at 7% it's closer to Leann Follain and Guinness FES than Plain.

Porterhouse Wrassler Stout is lovely as well, nice and think. In fact they are great for stouts in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Focalbhach

I've only had Leann Folláin the once, but on that (limited) basis I'm in the "it's grand but I wouldn't be mad for it" camp.

As far as recommendations go, Eight Degrees' Knockmealdown is rapidly becoming a go-to option for me when it's on tap - a lovely beer. 'Liqoricey' is always the first word I'd think of to describe it, but it's very nicely-balanced and easy to have a couple of.

Another option that I don't think anyone has mentioned yet is Belfast Black, which is a good choice if you like roasty, coffee flavours.

Finally, if you're in Dublin I'd higly recommend trying the seasonal Porterhouse Chocolate Truffle Stout which is available at the moment. It's a great example of what chocolate stouts should be!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Saruman wrote: »
    One of my favourites but I would not go so far as to say it's the best.

This year, that distinction went to Shandon Century from the Franciscan well. That was for 2011 by the way. It is however a very limited release and is probably all gone now so Leann Folláin FTW.
    Shandon Stout is a very worthy stout.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Focalbhach wrote: »
    Eight Degrees' Knockmealdown is rapidly becoming a go-to option for me when it's on tap
    Gorgeous. AFAIK the only tap in the world is the one in WJ Kavanaghs.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Focalbhach

BeerNut wrote: »
    Gorgeous. AFAIK the only tap in the world is the one in WJ Kavanaghs.

Luckily for me, they're very accessible from where I'm living at the moment :)

• Site Banned Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭ASJ112

Nogne imperial stout - coming from a hop head, this is amazing !!

Had Flying Dog's Kujo which was pretty good too. Think somebody already mentioned Dungarvan's coffee and oatmeal stout ? Another good choice.

Anything From NØGNE Ø (Pronounced Nugn U) is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Frozen_Rainbow

Greetings I´m a great stout fan from Germany. here my ranking :)

1. Beamish
    2. O´Hara´s
    3. Murphy´s

Guiness draught is ok, but please no Guiness extra stout it is to much bitter and has not this typical great stout taste. Hmm last but not least it is a pity that here Germany we have no chance to buy Beamish or O´Hara´s , but as the Irish say: life sucks let´s have a pint :D

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Lt. Palumbo

Got a bottle of Rogue Ales' Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout a while ago and absolutely loved it, bit of a burnt coffee/chocolate thing going on in there somewhere, it's thick and tasty and good :D

• Advertisement

Got a bottle of Rogue Ales' Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout a while ago and absolutely loved it, bit of a burnt coffee/chocolate thing going on in there somewhere, it's thick and tasty and good :D

Anything from ROGUE is incredible, great brewery.

Advertisement