Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stout recommendations

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Lt. Palumbo

White_Wolf wrote: »
    Anything from ROGUE is incredible, great brewery.

I've had the mocha porter and the dead guy ale which were both top notch. Are there any more of their huge list of varieties available here? Was thinking of asking Redmond's to get some of the maple bacon ale in :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,531 ✭✭✭Heroditas

After getting a load of the White water Brewing beers in Tesco recently, their Belfast Black is extremely tasty! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭White_Wolf

I've had the mocha porter and the dead guy ale which were both top notch. Are there any more of their huge list of varieties available here? Was thinking of asking Redmond's to get some of the maple bacon ale in :D

I have quite a lot of the Rogue Ales, probably about 10 or so, that being not even half of their selection, I have only gotten 2 or 3 in Ireland, the rest through beer trade, though if you ask you local craft off-licence I am sure they can get you some in. Hollands in Bray is my local one and I add things to the beer list all the time, hopefully we will be getting in some Sierra Nevada Hoptimum, they are trying to get some but I have never seen any in Ireland so I don't know how successful they will be.

Where is Redmonds? If they do get some in please let me know as I will go get a bottle wherever I need to go to get it.

Just look at the bottle

http://www.rogue.com/beers/voodoo-bacon-maple.php

• Site Banned Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭ASJ112

Redmond's is in Ranelagh, near the Luas stop. I've never seen that Rogue beer in there before, if I ever see it will let you know.

Haven't liked either of the Rogue beers tried(amber ale and oatmeal stout). I had their Yellow Snow IPA on draft which was good.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

White_Wolf wrote: »
    hopefully we will be getting in some Sierra Nevada Hoptimum, they are trying to get some but I have never seen any in Ireland
    There was a small shipment last year so the channel does exist (Grand Cru is the importer AFAIK). Would be great to see it again, it was lovely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,531 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Fuller's London Porter.
    Top notch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,907 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

oblivious wrote: »
    Trouble brewing dark arts

Amazing stuff. :cool: Love it!!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Frozen_Rainbow

dear all, stout , porter fans,
    is it possible if you have a good tip that you post a picture from the bottle, it would be nice to see it .

and another question, O´Hara´s stout can be bought in cans (like Beamish, Murphy´s etc)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

and another question, O´Hara´s stout can be bought in cans (like Beamish, Murphy´s etc)?

No just bottles and draught

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭eurokev

Iv drank dozens of stouts and I genuinely think that Murphys is by far the best available out there. Ten times tastier and more satisfying than guinness IMO

I really dont like fizzy stouts and stouts without a creamy head but thats just my preference

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

eurokev wrote: »
    Iv drank dozens of stouts and I genuinely think that Murphys is by far the best available out there. Ten times tastier and more satisfying than guinness IMO

I really dont like fizzy stouts and stouts without a creamy head but thats just my preference

Dozens?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭eurokev

irish_goat wrote: »
    Dozens?

Ya, 35 murphys and 1 guinness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

St Peters organic stout. Dunno if still available. Strong, but the best i've tasted
    Room temperature. Pricey because of strength

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

St Peters organic stout. Dunno if still available. Strong, but the best i've tasted
    Had it in the Black Sheep, was €7. Very tasty though, not as creamy as Leann Follain but had a nice caramel sweetness and the bitter after taste.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

8 Degrees Knockmealdown porter is very nice, a little bit different to the other Irish stouts/porters currently available. A really nice complex mix of roasted grains give it lots of interesting flavours.
    Definately worth a go.

Speaking of stouts, Fourcorners are after importing a new one from Brewdog: A 15.1% imperial stout, brewed with dark malts, cacao & coffee balanced with naga chilli.... Sounds interesting!

• Site Banned Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭ASJ112

Speaking of stouts, Fourcorners are after importing a new one from Brewdog: A 15.1% imperial stout, brewed with dark malts, cacao & coffee balanced with naga chilli.... Sounds interesting!
    This is the same as Abstrakt04, and frankly it was horrible. The only beer I actually had to throw away. If you are to get it, split it between 3/4 people, as its not possible to drink it yourself :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

eurokev wrote: »
    Ya, 35 murphys and 1 guinness

I laughed.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭White_Wolf

ASJ112 wrote: »
    This is the same as Abstrakt04, and frankly it was horrible. The only beer I actually had to throw away. If you are to get it, split it between 3/4 people, as its not possible to drink it yourself :(

AB06 is incredible, but good luck finding a bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Eramen

Fuller's Past Masters Double Stout, I seen the last of these in a few Molloy's recently. I believe its a limited edition so I'll probably be snapping a few more up. A delicious full bodied stout.

Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout is good if you like strong stouts (alcohol and flavor). I believe it's a 10% Russian Imperial. It can usually be gotten for a decent price.

Porterhouse Wrasslers I've often felt to be an underrated stout (indeed it's my favorite Porterhouse brew). I like it on either on nitro tap or in the bottle. Nice and roasty from the flaked barley, bitter and dry finish. You really can't go wrong.

Eramen wrote: »
    Nice and roasty from the flaked barley
    Flaked barley is mostly just for head retention. The roastiness would be from the black malt and roast barley.
    /beer pedant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 VVOORR

St Peters Cream Stout is fantastic. Smooth with a hint of caramel but not cheap. €3.90 a bottle.
    I also love Harvieston's Old Engine Oil. Get it regularly in Dunnes of all places.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Focalbhach

Hook Norton Double Stout is well worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭jmadoyle

VVOORR wrote: »
    St Peters Cream Stout is fantastic. Smooth with a hint of caramel but not cheap. €3.90 a bottle.
    I also love Harvieston's Old Engine Oil. Get it regularly in Dunnes of all places.

can st peters cream stout be picked up here?, have tried several shops to no avail,

cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭emco

jmadoyle wrote: »
    can st peters cream stout be picked up here?, have tried several shops to no avail,

cheers.

Probus wines, its 2 mins walk from pearse station, just past The Gingerman pub. They've only recently got into beers I think, but have a very good selection including a few St. Peters.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭jmadoyle

Thanks for that emco, will pop in over the weekend.

jmadoyle wrote: »
    can st peters cream stout be picked up here
    Just noticed it in Fresh in Smithfield, Dublin.

Advertisement