Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair: you must pay to do your own checkin online?!!

Options
  • 13-04-2012 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭

That's the biggest scam ever... Ryanair charges you 6 euros per flight for online checkin. Something that you MUST do yourself. It's a bit like going to a restaurant, paying for the meal, and having to serve it yourself.

That's on top of the 6 euros "administration fee", of course

My company is paying, and there is no other company flying where I'm going to. But if it were my own choice, I'd rather fly to another place and drive than give any money to these bloodsuckers :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

aerlingus and everyone else does the exact same thing... they just call them administration fees and "taxes and charges"

Just because ryanair details the payments doesn't mean they are the only ones charging them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

Nanazolie wrote: »
    But if it were my own choice, I'd rather fly to another place and drive than give any money to these bloodsuckers :mad:

:confused: You'd still have to pay the 6 euro no matter where you fly or who you fly with

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Nanazolie

That's not true. I'm flying with Aerlingus soon and the handling fee was 12 euros for both ways, so 6 euros each way. Raynair's one is 6 (admin fee) + 6 (online check in fee) each way, bringing the total to 24 euros. Twice as much as Aerlingus

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

That's not true. I'm flying with Aerlingus soon and the handling fee was 12 euros for both ways, so 6 euros each way. Raynair's one is 6 (admin fee) + 6 (online check in fee) each way, bringing the total to 24 euros. Twice as much as Aerlingus

don;t fly with ryanair.

they state clearly the cost and why it's there you choose to buy it or not.

if you dont like it fly with someone else.

but what about the fuel surcharge?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭JoseJones

But it's the same thing if they just upped all of their fares by €6 and done away with the surcharge. Would you pay it then?

And how far in advance did you book? Even with these fees Ryanair is far cheaper than Aer Lingus if you book more than a few weeks in advance.

You certainly can't call them a ripoff

jameshayes wrote: »
    but what about the fuel surcharge?

cancel that - doesn't look like they charge their fuel charge seperatley anymore - they just charge a bunch of fees called "taxes and charges" which total 72 euro per person!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Mellio

I think the biggest issue is that they are actually telling you that you are paying to check yourself in, they dont need to rub it in, real O'Leary style, they do because they can and why because there still the cheapest no matter what people say.

People should just concentrate on the final figure when paying for there flight and determine if they feel its value for money then.

We really dont need to concern ourselves with administration/taxes and charges, we really only need to know the final price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 jackdock88

the secret is looking at the prices ryanair advertise and then to say to yourself "plus 20% in extra fees and taxes". that has stopped me from being disappointed.

• Advertisement

Mellio wrote: »
    I think the biggest issue is that they are actually telling you that you are paying to check yourself in, they dont need to rub it in, real O'Leary style, they do because they can and why because there still the cheapest no matter what people say.

People should just concentrate on the final figure when paying for there flight and determine if they feel its value for money then.

We really dont need to concern ourselves with administration/taxes and charges, we really only need to know the final price.

it depends how you look at it.

I would prefer to pay 6e and do it at home than stand in a line of 100 idiots looking for their passport with suit cases too big and blah blah

then stand behind the same idiots to get on the plane.

in this case 6e is a bargain.

That's the biggest scam ever... Ryanair charges you 6 euros per flight for online checkin. Something that you MUST do yourself. It's a bit like going to a restaurant, paying for the meal, and having to serve it yourself.

Op, you seem to be really pissed off at Ryanair for this but now you know Aer Lingus and others do it too you've shifted your anger to the cost of it rather than the practice itself.

Is this just a Ryanair bashing thread?

people just love ryanair bashing because it's easy,

they offer a good service which is better than most, they have clean planes and have their logistics down to a T (if people do what they are told and follow the fecking rules about baggage & check in times & online check in)

al28283 wrote: »
    And how far in advance did you book? Even with these fees Ryanair is far cheaper than Aer Lingus if you book more than a few weeks in advance.

You certainly can't call them a ripoff

Well I actually booked Aer Lingus last October to go to Palma Majorca in June 2012(when the 2012 Euros are on), cost us €656 for 4 people(Including 2 bags and seat selection and any admin fees).

Ryanair were charging €900 for the same flight at the time, worse flight times and not inlcuding bags or seat selection and excluding admin fees.

Not always cheaper than Aer Lingus and less enjoyable flight.

Im even happier at the moment, for the same Flights to book now:

Aer Lingus €2,050
    Ryanair €2,100

As previosuly said I think this year Aer Lingus and Ryanair are putting prices up a good bit on al flights, may be with the EURO's being on and the Olympics they are trying to milk all travel options?

ntlbell wrote: »
    don;t fly with ryanair.

they state clearly the cost and why it's there you choose to buy it or not.

if you dont like it fly with someone else.

mmmmh, did I not mention that it wasn't my choice? Oh, wait... I did.
    I stopped flying Ryanair years ago after having the most horrible trip with a young child.

it depends how you look at it.

I would prefer to pay 6e and do it at home than stand in a line of 100 idiots looking for their passport with suit cases too big and blah blah

then stand behind the same idiots to get on the plane.

in this case 6e is a bargain.

I get what your saying and agree especially with the whole airport queuing business to check in, its ridiculous however you do have to still stand behind these idiots to get on the plane no matter what or again pay for your seat and pay for priority boarding.

I dont mind actually paying as I said its the final price that we need to concern ourselves with not the breakdown of it all.

If every business was run this way our heads would be melted with the breakdown of associated costs, its not necessary but it works for Ryanair as they jumped on a pricing model that entices people to buy at a low intial starting price but increases nimnally along the way so people are not put off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭BrensBenz

Wholehearted agree with OP. Being charged to do THEIR work = rip-off. Irish Ferries also do this but they're not as up-front about it - their secret charge is added last. Sailing with Stena and flying Aer Lingus now - probably not any cheaper but no dirty taste in mouth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Never take any notice of the breakdown of the prices myself, just look at the final price. And more often than not Ryanair are the cheapest. I wouldn't call it a rip off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭analucija

In Europe they are my preffered choice. They have by far the least delays, they fly to a lot locations and usually they are cheaper. The same than most of other people I just check the final price and ignore the breakdowns .

• Advertisement

mmmmh, did I not mention that it wasn't my choice? Oh, wait... I did.
    I stopped flying Ryanair years ago after having the most horrible trip with a young child.

How is ryanair responsible for YOUR lack of choice?

How is ryanair responsible for YOUR lack of choice?

In plain English: I HAVE to fly with Ryanair on this occasion because I am going to a location where only Ryanair flies to. For work. So it's not MY decision, otherwise I would fly to a more remote location and drive there.
    On this occasion, I am not paying, but I still find it rather rich that the customer has to pay to do their work.

And as mentioned, I always tries to avoid Ryanair due to some horrible trip a few years ago, when having paid for the privilege of priority boarding because I was travelling with a 4 months baby, I was left to carry my baby and buggy down the stairs and ended up boarding last. Once inside, I had to ask a fellow traveller to hold my child because the flight attendant would not even help. May be there was a 'smiling and helpful' option, only 6 euros extra, that I had missed. I took 2 planes each way, and the same happened on each flight. When I wrote to the customer service to complain, I was litterally dismissed with some bull*t Ryanair jargon, which ended with "we still provide the cheapest fares".

I know all airlines add some ridiculous fees like credit card fees for instance, it grates me when Aerlingus or whoever does that and I've mentioned it before and even wrote to them, to no avail of course. But being so blatant about the fact that they are charging you to do their job is clearly a 'laugh in the face of our customer's attitude' and I can't stand it

I still find it rather rich that the customer has to pay to do their work.

So why is this thread about Ryanair and not all airlines??

I am guessing the thread is about Ryanair because Ryanair are the only ones that quote a price for checking in online.

I do think however that its not as simple as the OP is making out, they are charging you for the convenience of checking in online so you dont have to queue at the airport for an hour just to get a boarding pass.

Ryanair also have to maintain a system that generates the boarding pass and obviously someone to oversee this process runs smoothly so there are costs associated with this process for Ryanair.

Your mearly just paying for the convenience which I beleive is actually worth it.

Now the credit card charge is a differnet kettle of fish and is a bigger issue for me.

They only process one transaction but you are charged for two being the outward journey and inward journey, anyway its off topic so I will say no more.

yes Mellio, that's it, you understood my point

Why is that every time someone opens a thread about Ryanair it is seen as some conspiration? Why can't anyone just say "I find this not nice at all" without people becoming defensive?

I don't notice it on other threads, for instance one might open a topic 'price increase in Tesco', some people will agree, some people won't, but no one will react so strongly that this is a Tesco bashing thread, sure all supermarkets do it, etc... :confused:

In plain English: I HAVE to fly with Ryanair on this occasion because I am going to a location where only Ryanair flies to. For

and how is this ryanairs fault?

you dont seem to be very good at this

yes Mellio, that's it, you understood my point

Why is that every time someone opens a thread about Ryanair it is seen as some conspiration? Why can't anyone just say "I find this not nice at all" without people becoming defensive?

I don't notice it on other threads, for instance one might open a topic 'price increase in Tesco', some people will agree, some people won't, but no one will react so strongly that this is a Tesco bashing thread, sure all supermarkets do it, etc... :confused:

Why is it whenever someone starts a thread about Ryanair they usually don't know what they're talking about?

A price increase in Tesco is not the same thing.

It is not the price you were complaining about but the practice of having to check in online which is not unique to Ryanair.

If you were complaining about self service checkouts in Tesco then someone would mention that most supermarkets have them and not just Tesco.

ntlbell, I never said it was Ryanair's fault that I had to fly with them. Reread my post and tell me where you think I said that

al28283, wrong. I didn't complain about the fact that I had to checkin online. In fact, it's ok for me to do it. It's the fact that I have to pay to do it, even though it means doing the job that is supposedly done by some staff at the airport. Now, if Tesco wanted to charge people to use their self service checkout, there would be loads of people complaining. Why not here? :confused:

al28283, wrong. I didn't complain about the fact that I had to checkin online. In fact, it's ok for me to do it. It's the fact that I have to pay to do it, even though it means doing the job that is supposedly done by some staff at the airport. Now, if Tesco wanted to charge people to use their self service checkout, there would be loads of people complaining. Why not here? :confused:

THE POINT IM MAKING IS THAT YOU ARE COMPLAINING THAT RYANAIR DO SOMETHING THAT AER LINGUS DO, AND CITYJET DO, AND MANY OTHERS.

• Advertisement

No need to shout ;)

Aerlingus will not force me to book online if I don't want to. So I'm paying for their staff at the counter.
    And no, I'm not complaining that there is online check-in, they mention it clearly in their terms and conditions, that's fine by me, and actually it will cut the queues at the airport. But surely, if they don't have to pay for the staff at the counter, that fee should not be charged to the customer. In fact, it should make the ticket cheaper

Advertisement