Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What women want

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

That and nachos. Always nachos.
    The sort of woman, because I believe she is a woman :confused: that I share with only wants cheesecakes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

What women want: a man who isn't embittered about them all due to his personal experiences (which always had him as the common denominator).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

People want all sorts of different things, but for me, I'd say decency. Someone who is just a downright decent person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,341 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

People want all sorts of different things, but for me, I'd say decency. Someone who is just a downright decent person.

I'd prefer someone who's just nice (And considerate). It's a quality that appears to be lacking in a lot of people today.

I'd settle for someone who isn't batsh1t crazy and/or using me as an emotional crutch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

Grayson wrote: »
    I'd prefer someone who's just nice (And considerate). It's a quality that appears to be lacking in a lot of people today.

I'd settle for someone who isn't batsh1t crazy and/or using me as an emotional crutch.

Nice, decent - both really good traits in a person and rarer than you would think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

Wibbs wrote: »
    Felling rejected? Stuck in Friendzone? Women don't like you in "that way"? Call 0898 GETLAIDNOW for a free brochure.

I was gonna throw something like that in afterwards but its the usual reaction to these types of observations, I'll let you have it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

efb wrote: »
    I know what women want:

The Ahhh Bra!

And mooncups :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Grayson wrote: »
    Or get 20k posts here. i hear chicks dig that **** ;)
    you'd be surprised...
    If you believe the 10% figure for male homosexuality and the excess of females to males in general, and especially in Dublin then there should be more than 10 available women for every 9 men

But those figures don't add up to the number of single males, so either a lot of women are celibate, too picky or there is a lot of two-timing or the statistics are flawed.
    or a smaller group of men get more women? Or the single males are too picky? That's a biggie in my experience.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Nice, decent - both really good traits in a person and rarer than you would think.

Who are these mythical creatures you speak of?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

Dudess wrote: »
    What women want: a man who isn't embittered about them all due to his personal experiences (which always had him as the common denominator).

True but that definitely goes both ways.....and some!

IMO there is nothing worse then a women who has been burnt from a previous relationship. Generally speaking I think that men can deal with rejection better then women and we can shed emotional baggage easier too.

Obviously everybody is different but I've only ever heard terms like 'bunny boiler' being used in relation to the fairer sex.

Also "bitches be crazy" has a nicer ring to it then "bastards be crazy" ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Didn't read this topic at all until now because I thought it was going to be retarded which in fairness it was but it was so retarded it was downright comical. Tripe man this is for you, shine on you crazy diamond!

On topic, it's not so much what women want that's the problem for men as unrealistic expectations on the mens parts. You get a group of lads who vary in looks etc. and some are capable of getting really hot girls and others aren't, you will get some lads who will feel too ashamed to go for girls who aren't as hot as the ones their mates get for fear of getting slagged. I'm actually reading Glue by Irvine Welsh at the moment and there is a chapter that deals with this scenario and it popped into my mind when Wibbs mentioned guys being too picky.

I personally think that the whole "guys are too picky" lark is absolutely nonsense. I'd even go as far to say that guys aren't picky enough, most guys would ride anything, which in turn gives most of the power to women who can pick and chose as they please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

They wanna be free, wanna be free to do what they wanna do, and they wanna be loaded, And they wanna have a good time
    That's what they're gonna do

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Raekwon wrote: »
    I personally think that the whole "guys are too picky" lark is absolutely nonsense. I'd even go as far to say that guys aren't picky enough, most guys would ride anything, which in turn gives most of the power to women who can pick and chose as they please.

I disagree with that. I think the "guys are too picky" and the "guys will ride anything" argument are both just exaggerated arguments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

I disagree with that. I think the "guys are too picky" and the "guys will ride anything" argument are both just exaggerated arguments.

Agreed. The 'guys will ride anything' argument is just another stupid generalization.

True but that definitely goes both ways
    Of course it does.
    IMO there is nothing worse then a women who has been burnt from a previous relationship. Generally speaking I think that men can deal with rejection better then women and we can shed emotional baggage easier too.

Obviously everybody is different but I've only ever heard terms like 'bunny boiler' being used in relation to the fairer sex.

Also "bitches be crazy" has a nicer ring to it then "bastards be crazy" ;)
    P'haps, but here (since we're here) it's overwhelmingly men who vent and project against all women because of their personal experiences. Some of the really angry ones have actually spoken about their situations - and indeed, they've fallen victim to some right nutter bitches. But you just don't see the reverse here. Far less women here than men, to be fair. But I can't help thinking if a woman wrote words to the effect of "All men are bastards" (and it doesn't happen in the Ladies' Lounge, despite it being in people's heads that it does) she'd be bawled out of it. And understandably so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭beano345

i agree with a part of this was on a "date" last week with a girl who mysteriously got my number out of no where and from the get go she had this air of "ill be doing the deciding here" and i was like woah woah back up here...was a complete turn off.

I'd say guys moreso than girls would look for the drunken ride just for the sake of it, but it's hardly complimentary to the women, and it's hardly fussy of a woman to not fuk any guy at all.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Ah love, the triumph of hope over experience

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Kimia wrote: »
    Agreed. The 'guys will ride anything' argument is just another stupid generalization.

Aye. "almost anything" is far closer to the truth.

• Advertisement

Along the lines of "all women want the same thing".

Nodin wrote: »
    Aye. "almost anything" is far closer to the truth.

Plenty of women do that too!

I am not one of them - just saying

beano345 wrote: »
    i agree with a part of this was on a "date" last week with a girl who mysteriously got my number out of no where and from the get go she had this air of "ill be doing the deciding here" and i was like woah woah back up here...was a complete turn off.

So you're a guy who was on a date with a girl where she did something you didn't like so you walked, right so far? And you're using this as an anecdote to show guys will ride anything? Doesn't make sense, to me it sounds like you were both making up your minds about the other :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

Most likely what women want is for you to be who you pretend to be when you first meet.

I am not one of them - just saying

Yeah, but not as much as men, not by a long shot. If they did then everybody would be constantly have sex, nothing would get done :D

Plus you kind of discredited your own post there at the end ;)

Simply put, women need a reason to have sex, men just need a time and a place.

I support them, would subscribe to their newsletter, and encourage them to encourage others.

They should also remind women of the charms of the mature Irish man in his 40's, with his traditional belly, arse hair, and garbed in 100% irish y-fronts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

I support them, would subscribe to their newsletter, and encourage them to encourage others.

They should also remind women of the charms of the mature Irish man in his 40's, with his traditional belly, arse hair, and garbed in 100% irish y-fronts.
    It would be handy also if they wore something to identify them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭beano345

mackg wrote: »
    So you're a guy who was on a date with a girl where she did something you didn't like so you walked, right so far? And you're using this as an anecdote to show guys will ride anything? Doesn't make sense, to me it sounds like you were both making up your minds about the other :confused:

i never agreed with that part some lads will some wont what i was agreeing with was women assuming the power of "ill be making the decisions here" when it comes to dating as if men are all dogs and are only after one thing.

You had me at 'I :Dsupport'
    If the priests could get their hands on you now;)

• Advertisement

Johro wrote: »
    It would be handy also if they wore something to identify them.

They do, you just need to figure it out :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

You had me at 'I :Dsupport'
    If the priests could get their hands on you now;)

Though my buttocks did clench reading that, I am safe in the knowledge that my having started shaving a few decades ago protects me from such a fate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Helen Hunt?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

multiple orgasims

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Mr.Biscuits

I think the "guys are too picky" and the "guys will ride anything" argument are both just exaggerated arguments.

Nothing exaggerated about it. Go to any nightclub and 2am and you will see the user's contention in action. Doesn't mean all guys are like that, course not - but what it does show, is that in general, when it comes to 'pulling': men are less picky than women and could really do with being a little bit more picky. Which of course is never gonna happen as demand well outstrips supply. Now, I know my opinion is a mere anecdotal one and so will of course yield to those with the shiny, peer-reviewed ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 brock landers

tripe man wrote: »
    Tripedy tripedy tripe tripe, once again. I'm not interested in casual sex (which plays a big part in causing misandry) I'm just looking for a woman to share the rest of my life with.

Hi Tripe!

I've read some of your posts and can really relate to what you are saying.
    Most of my adult life, Its been very hit and miss with women for me, and I've had plenty of bad experiences which left me bitter, angry and frustrated. I've always been told I'm very attractive looks wise and used to wonder why women weren't falling at my feet(not all the time at least):D Over the years my ego had been inflated and the media told us that its all about looks, well how wrong is that!

A few years ago I left the lovely land of Ireland and began working on myself in what self help gurus would call inner game, basically to become a man in the true sense and leave the wuss/boy behaviour behind. I'm still on that journey but have improved myself immensely. getting girls really aint that hard, in fact it can be too easy believe it or not .

If you can get this sh1t handled, forget the past negativity and believe in yourself 100 per cent, have poise, composure, confidence, passion and presence, things will improve a lot for you, I sh1t you not. I've learned that guys that are most successful with women are masters of conflict.

But getting back on topic, IMO women want a man, a real man in the true sense! Strong emotionally, physically and so on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

Nothing exaggerated about it. Go to any nightclub and 2am and you will see the user's contention in action. Doesn't mean all guys are like that, course not - but what it does show, is that in general, when it comes to 'pulling': men are less picky than women and could really do with being a little bit more picky. Which of course is never gonna happen as demand well outstrips supply. Now, I know my opinion is a mere anecdotal one and so will of course yield to those with the shiny, peer-reviewed ones.

Hmm..I get where the stereotype that 'guys will ride anything' comes from but when you use the 2am nightclub scenario I don't think anyone - male or female - is being picky there. It's just drunk people being horny and looking for the ride.

You act like absolute stunners are going home with really ugly women at the end of the night which I never really see, and I go out clubbing a lot.

Some guy's requirement for sexual gratification is more urgent than that of women, I'd have thought, hence riding anything. Plus there's the "I got the ride last night" thing to let the mates know about too (among some younger men) but women need a reason, men need a time and place? Most people just have casual sex with someone because they fancy them. :confused:

After Hours: where the negative exception is presented as the overall reality.

Snowie wrote: »
    multiple orgasims

...in some countries. Certainly according to the German documentaries I've seen they need a dwarf to come up behind them wearing surgical gloves to really excite them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

...in some countries. Certainly according to the German documentaries I've seen they need a dwarf to come up behind them wearing surgical gloves to really excite them.

what about edging a woman for like 4 hours off an on with a magic wand on the high setting that can get some really interesting effects...

Just saying :)

• Advertisement

Most people just have casual sex with someone because they fancy them. :confused:

Yeah, in a perfect world maybe ;)

Most people just have casual sex with someone because they fancy them. :confused:

Yeah, in a perfect world maybe ;)
    Some awful people out there if they think that little of others and are that desperate for a ride - thank god I don't know them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

Oh and another point about people being not picky enough is that in the nightclub scenario at 2am the majority of people are hammered and people look a lot sexier when you're drunk. So while you might think a load of men aren't being picky enough and are just 'desperate' for the ride, they may actually think they're going home with a stunner.

It works for both genders by the way...as I proved the other night...:o :P

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

You bastard. Tea all over my screen. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Babybuff

women want to be wanted. A lot of the time they don't really care what gender is doing the wanting. (or that they think are wanting them) and yeah, they would (in my experience) rather be with a good looking woman than an ugly bloke and not because they are especially interested in being with a woman but because it gives them the ego boost they are looking for. Women are very shallow.

Some awful people out there if they think that little of others and are that desperate for a ride - thank god I don't know them.

Some awful people out there also that are so deluded that they deem others to be below them - unfortunately I know lots of them.

It's swings and roundabouts.

My point was that it's not as simple as just fancying someone and deciding to having sex with them. If it was that easy then nobody would be complaining.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Seomra Mushie

Dunno about that. My boyfriend's first love cheated on him with a dude who was supposed to be one of his best friends. (Jeremy Kyle-tastic :pac:) This was 2004ish and it still affects him. He gets antsy about me casually chatting to other fellas when we're out. I don't like being rude so if they're interested, I'll politely let them know. And sometimes men just chat to you while having no sexual interest in you. He's like "They just want to get in your knickers" and I'm like "Maybe they do, maybe they don't but it's not going to happen so relax!" He just struggles with trust understandably, but it's definitely not true that men can just brush it off. Everyone is different.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭aquaman

If you believe the 10% figure for male homosexuality and the excess of females to males in general, and especially in Dublin then there should be more than 10 available women for every 9 men

But those figures don't add up to the number of single males, so either a lot of women are celibate, too picky or there is a lot of two-timing or the statistics are flawed.

Doesn't say much for what women want, might say something about what they don't want.

are there numbers for single males though? Observationally I'd say there's more single girls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Babybuff wrote: »
    women want to be wanted. A lot of the time they don't really care what gender is doing the wanting. (or that they think are wanting them) and yeah, they would (in my experience) rather be with a good looking woman than an ugly bloke and not because they are especially interested in being with a woman but because it gives them the ego boost they are looking for. Women are very shallow.
    you are so so accurate, It's men who are from Venus but we let them think they're from Venus if it keeps them happy.:p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

attention, to feel important, for you to make them feel like they are the only person in the room, make them laugh but be sensitive with it, for you to "understand" them and treat them as these amazing creatures who are really incredibly fascinating, a secret that has been as yet hidden from the general populace until you came along and shone a light on their soul

basically ask them loads of questions in the first few dates, do a lot of listening, talk about yourself as little as possible, hum and haw about their little achievements and by the time that charade gets tiring (usually after a couple of weeks) they'll be putty in your hands and you can take it or leave it

me, cynical - never ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement