Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Remapping Diesel Engines

• 13-04-2012 2:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have a 130bhp variant VAg 1.9TDi and was thinking of remapping it (mainly for economy, extra power a bonus)

However, is there any negative effects of doing this? would it affect the transmission or any other parts in a negative way?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭giant_midget

Hi,

I have a 130bhp variant VAg 1.9TDi and was thinking of remapping it (mainly for economy, extra power a bonus)

However, is there any negative effects of doing this? would it affect the transmission or any other parts in a negative way?

depends on the mileage, would be a bit more work for your clutch...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 123 ✭✭Dirkster

I had the same engine mapped before the car got hit and is now gone. I didn't suffer any adverse affects that I can think of. MPG doesn't really improve as is claimed and realistically will drop by 2-3MPG I found. I only had it for 20k miles though and it was put on when the engine had only 60k on it.

There are varying degree's of remap that you can get and naturally these will stress the engine and components more or less depending. I found a very big increase in performance and torque and was very happy with it. If you were getting it done I'd advise looking at www.chippedire.com as he's excellent and a nice fella. There's an awful lot of cowboys with laptops out there with a "friend" in Germany doing the remap files. I'd stay away from them and just go with chippedire as its a car specific map and he knows the engine inside out. You can ask for more or less torque and keep it semi-conservative so the engine doesn't suffer as much wear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭gollywog

Dirkster wrote: »
    I had the same engine mapped before the car got hit and is now gone. I didn't suffer any adverse affects that I can think of. MPG doesn't really improve as is claimed and realistically will drop by 2-3MPG I found. I only had it for 20k miles though and it was put on when the engine had only 60k on it.

There are varying degree's of remap that you can get and naturally these will stress the engine and components more or less depending. I found a very big increase in performance and torque and was very happy with it. If you were getting it done I'd advise looking at www.chippedire.com as he's excellent and a nice fella. There's an awful lot of cowboys with laptops out there with a "friend" in Germany doing the remap files. I'd stay away from them and just go with chippedire as its a car specific map and he knows the engine inside out. You can ask for more or less torque and keep it semi-conservative so the engine doesn't suffer as much wear.

+ 1 had joe map my car recently and it's the best money I've ever spent. Sound guy and knows his stuff

Advertisement