Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend an exceptional bottle of red wine

Options
  • 13-04-2012 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭

I'll be 40 in a few years time and to mark it I would love to drink an exceptional bottle of red (not on my birthday but around the time so I won't have to share ;)).

It would have to be French and come from either Bordeaux (St Emillion, Pomerol, Pauillac being my favourites) or from Burgundy.

Let's put a number on this: 100-200 euro for the bottle.

Suggestions?

Loire.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Not to be facetious or anything, and with the greatest respect to my fellow Boardsies, but might you be better bringing this question to a couple of quality wine merchants and asking their opinions instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Bit of a 'how long is a piece of string' question really. You will get plenty of great wine at 100 - 200 euro a bottle. You won't get any of the exceptional "names" (1er Grand Cru Classes etc) though. An idea would be to get a bottle that is from a vintage that is 40 years old in the relevant year, i.e. get a bottle of 1974 if your 40th birthday is in 2014 (like mine!). Would have to pretty sure of its provenance though to ensure it ain't pish....

• Registered Users Posts: 46 sourgrapes

Loire wrote: »
    I'll be 40 in a few years time and to mark it I would love to drink an exceptional bottle of red (not on my birthday but around the time so I won't have to share ;)).

It would have to be French and come from either Bordeaux (St Emilion, Pomerol, Pauillac being my favourites) or from Burgundy.

Suggestions?

Loire.

I'd buy yourself a selection of wines, a Tour de France.

4-5 around €40-50 each - pick a good Rhone, Burgundy, Bordeaux, Alsatian and perhaps Champagne or something from the southwest. Happy to recommend some if you DM me.

Lar

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

Loire wrote: »

It would have to be French and come from either Bordeaux (St Emillion, Pomerol, Pauillac being my favourites) or from Burgundy.

Suggestions?

Loire.

St. Eamof Mapiss

you would really enjoy it

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

my recomodation would be to book yourself a cheap flight to bordeaux, book into a local guesthouse and go down town and have alovely meal and a fantastic local wine.

Wouldn't be to much difference betweenn that and an expensive bottle of wine in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

You'll get exceptional wines, in Ireland, for < €30 - don't spend money for the sake of it. The idea of a Bordeaux visit is a good one but you probably won't get "exceptional" wine on a random visit to the area. There's a lot of muck on sale there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭mikep

This crowd deliver to Ireland and stock all the big names....

www.millesima.ie

Also Le Caveau in Kilkenny stock some good stuff in their "mature" section...

Enjoy looking!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭nice_very

just browsing this forum and saw your post... I imagine you like deep red's given that you are looking for a Bordeux/Burgandy, my advice is look into some Riojas gran reserva, more bang for your buck IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 10,322 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Go for something which tastes classic but is a little newer; how about a 1997 Ridge Santa Cruz Cabernet Sauvignon, possibly stretch to the Montebello if you can find one. Ridge Montebello was one of the Californian wines which was entered into the 'Judgement of Paris" back in the 1970s and performed fantastically against the establish Bordeaux giants. It spurred a lot of improvement in Bordeauz although recently retatstings have placed Ridge Montebello back at the top. I suggest the Santa Cruz 1997 as I recently had a bottle and it was sublime. It's heading close to the end of its drinking period and thus a good time to buy for immediate drinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Maria121

Barolo, Barbera, Burgundy, Chianti, Petite Sirah is some of red wines. Few of I've tasted, and few are still left to be tasted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Why limit yourself to just French vino OP?

I visited Tuscany last in November, and visited the vineyards of Poggio Antico in the DOC of Montalcino, not far from Siena. I tasted several of their wines, all of which i found to my liking but this beauty really caught my eye.

http://www.poggioantico.com/english/products_riserva_e.htm

It cost me €22 to buy at the winery, would surely be €35+ if bought over here, although it would be very hard to find! Probably cost a little more than €30 to ship, but is well worth it. The finish is very long indeed and there's wonderful dark fruit and spices in there. You need this wine!

Advertisement