Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warmest city or place in canada?

Options
  • 13-04-2012 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭

Hi all,i am just curious about what city or part of canada has the best weather and is the warmest?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭red menace

seamus1980 wrote: »
    Hi all,i am just curious about what city or part of canada has the best weather and is the warmest?

the part thats not canada.
    in general the further south you are the better
    Vancouver has the ocean so it doesnt get as bone chilling as the rest of the canada

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭hellothere1

seamus1980 wrote: »

Probably Vancouver, but it rains a lot there! I actually find the weather to be great, the Winter gets very cold, but it's very dry, rarely rains and when it does you usually know in advance and it isn't too heavy. You adapt to the Winter very quickly, you just need a good coat!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

Probably Vancouver, but it rains a lot there! I actually find the weather to be great, the Winter gets very cold, but it's very dry, rarely rains and when it does you usually know in advance and it isn't too heavy. You adapt to the Winter very quickly, you just need a good coat!

Wrong there Toronto and Ontario been the furthest south has the warmest weather in summer and the winters are not as bad as most other places in Canada. Some parts of Ontario (St Katherines) it doesn't even go cold in winter they have a bit of a micro climate in winter. Summer July/August in Toronto is generally 35 °C feels around 50 °C with humidity

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭hellothere1

jjbrien wrote: »
    Wrong there Toronto and Ontario been the furthest south has the warmest weather in summer and the winters are not as bad as most other places in Canada. Some parts of Ontario (St Katherines) it doesn't even go cold in winter they have a bit of a micro climate in winter. Summer July/August in Toronto is generally 35 °C feels around 50 °C with humidity

Warmest weather in the Summer maybe, but come Winter Vancouver wins out (provided you can stand the rain). Toronto can still drop to the minus 30's on bad days when you add wind chill, 2011 Winter wasn't so bad, but 2010? I didn't see grass for 4 months with the snow!

Summer-Ontario
    Winter-BC (on the coast)

There you go!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

Warmest weather in the Summer maybe, but come Winter Vancouver wins out (provided you can stand the rain). Toronto can still drop to the minus 30's on bad days when you add wind chill, 2011 Winter wasn't so bad, but 2010? I didn't see grass for 4 months with the snow!

Summer-Ontario
    Winter-BC (on the coast)

There you go!

Is agree there this winter in Toronto was odd only a few days of snow but still was cold

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

I'd actually go with Halifax above all of the other cities. Novia Scotia has quite a nice climate in both summer and winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭lindzation

Kelowna and anywhere in the okanagan would be a brilliant choice. HOT in the summer, and doesnt go below -20 in the winter.. i think it actually stays at around -10 or warmer. Its also a dry cold there compared to vancouver or the coast (quite similar to Ireland) its a gorgeous place nestled in the rockies, with fantastic lakes for swimming in the summer! Kelowna is a touristy town so id reckon there would be work!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭NewsMeQuick

I'm confused now, the cliamate data that I seen suggested Toronto and Vancouver have amongst the warmerst summers. But that was topping 22 degress celcius appx. Toronto can fall far below 0 in the winters and that Vancouver is largely protected from the harsh winters. Is that roughly right?

I read someone mentioned 35 degrees in some places...what?

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Delira

I'm confused now, the cliamate data that I seen suggested Toronto and Vancouver have amongst the warmerst summers. But that was topping 22 degress celcius appx. Toronto can fall far below 0 in the winters and that Vancouver is largely protected from the harsh winters. Is that roughly right?

Toronto get boiling hot in the summer. The humidity is crazy! It's not like 35 all the time, only during short heatwaves, but it is pretty damn hot vast majority of the time. Air con is your best friend during Toronto summers! Well that's a paddy talking, so it may just take some acclimatising :pac:

The info. is much appreciated, thanks man! I have to admit, while I like winter sports I'm a cold-complainer, I wear more clothes than anyone I know! I lived in Italy before so the warmth would be very welcome lol. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

My fist summer in Vancouver it was around 35c for 7 days straight and didnt cool down much all that summer. Its mostly around mid to high 20's and very comfortable. The east gets very humid in summer. My mate from Brisbane reckoned Toronto felt hotter in summer. With heat comes bugs especially Nova Scotia. Warmest place on average is Victoria BC but the hottest temps is Windsor On.

lindzation wrote: »
    Kelowna and anywhere in the okanagan would be a brilliant choice. HOT in the summer, and doesnt go below -20 in the winter.. i think it actually stays at around -10 or warmer. Its also a dry cold there compared to vancouver or the coast (quite similar to Ireland) its a gorgeous place nestled in the rockies, with fantastic lakes for swimming in the summer! Kelowna is a touristy town so id reckon there would be work!

The Okanagan is bizarre. A desert in Canada.

We annually have a weekend in Penticton and ive never ever seen a cloud!

ciaran67 wrote: »
    My fist summer in Vancouver it was around 35c for 7 days straight and didnt cool down much all that summer. Its mostly around mid to high 20's and very comfortable. The east gets very humid in summer. My mate from Brisbane reckoned Toronto felt hotter in summer. With heat comes bugs especially Nova Scotia. Warmest place on average is Victoria BC but the hottest temps is Windsor On.

Thanks buddy. You're in Van now? How are your winters? I read that it usually (but not always) stays around 0 or just above. I would trade the snow for rain, no problem!:)

Thanks buddy. You're in Van now? How are your winters? I read that it usually (but not always) stays around 0 or just above. I would trade the snow for rain, no problem!:)

You say that but most agree, after a while, snow sucks.

This winter has been very mild and quite (as usual) wet. Cant remember the last frost and they were very rare. We had one snow fall and that was in early December and lasted a day.

Summers are bordering on perfect. Hardly ever that humid, compared with east but clear skies and mid to high 20's, with the odd heatwave into mid 30's.

I work outside and have been in shorts for about 3 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭Phonehead

Was in Vancouver for work Friday through to Monday, it literally didn't stop raining until Monday. Beautiful city but I'm not sure if I could tolerate leaving Ireland for somewhere that is wetter.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭jgh_

If I was going to move back to Canada I'd probably pick Vancouver over Toronto for the weather. Toronto gets too hot in the summer and too cold in the winter. It apparently rains more in Vancouver, but it rains a lot in Toronto as well. Last time I went back (around Thanksgiving last year) I was there for 2 weeks and I think there was one day without rain.

jgh_ wrote: »
    If I was going to move back to Canada I'd probably pick Vancouver over Toronto for the weather. Toronto gets too hot in the summer and too cold in the winter. It apparently rains more in Vancouver, but it rains a lot in Toronto as well. Last time I went back (around Thanksgiving last year) I was there for 2 weeks and I think there was one day without rain.

Van is a beautiful city, without a doubt one of the prettiest places I've ever been but Van I'd say get about 40% more rain than Toronto.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

what good trips are there to do outside of van anyone know. any good american cities close by worth checking out.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭againstthetide

zweton wrote: »
    what good trips are there to do outside of van anyone know. any good american cities close by worth checking out.

Seattle down the road

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

that it lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭againstthetide

Best place to head from Van is back up into the mojn tains.
    Beautiful up there you wont see anything like it.
    Some nice little towns back up there too
    Kamloops is pretty nice and has amazing views around it

Seattle down the road

Not arf... love Seattle. Proper city.

zweton wrote: »

Hop on a boat to North Van and grab a bus to Lynn Canyon - Amazing wilderness just on the outskirts of the city

Phonehead wrote: »
    Was in Vancouver for work Friday through to Monday, it literally didn't stop raining until Monday. Beautiful city but I'm not sure if I could tolerate leaving Ireland for somewhere that is wetter.

What ever part of Canada you go to the weather is better than Ireland's. Vancouver is wet in winter but at least there is a very good summer waiting. You make a judgement after 3 days?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

What ever part of Canada you go to the weather is better than Ireland's.

welcome to nunavut!!

What ever part of Canada you go to the weather is better than Ireland's. Vancouver is wet in winter but at least there is a very good summer waiting. You make a judgement after 3 days?

Not at all, just based on what other people there have said, I stand corrected if it's not true. Also Canada is a huge country, some places really don't get better weather than Dublin. Based on Wikipedia Van gets 161 Rain Days a year and the East Coast of Ireland 151 - so I stand by my point that Van is wetter (that's all I claimed)

What ever part of Canada you go to the weather is better than Ireland's. Vancouver is wet in winter but at least there is a very good summer waiting.

I swear to God I'm not stalking you, but I had to say that I agree, this is precisely my calculation. I'm not a fan of the huge swing into the snow in Toronto to be honest.

Seperately, on the one hand, I keep asking myself is it superficial to 'pick places based on climate' but on the other hand, having lived in different climates I know the benefits. Also, if you're spending thousands taking a gamble for work, and both are perfectly viable, perhaps I do have the luxury of choosing to some degree based on climate! I may look for a Van vs. Tor thread just to be thorough.

I swear to God I'm not stalking you, but I had to say that I agree, this is precisely my calculation. I'm not a fan of the huge swing into the snow in Toronto to be honest.

Seperately, on the one hand, I keep asking myself is it superficial to 'pick places based on climate' but on the other hand, having lived in different climates I know the benefits. Also, if you're spending thousands taking a gamble for work, and both are perfectly viable, perhaps I do have the luxury of choosing to some degree based on climate! I may look for a Van vs. Tor thread just to be thorough.

:D

Thing i loved about Toronto's summer was when sitting on a patio with a beer, when the sun went round the corner and you were left in the shade, it didn't feel any less cold at all. Me and the missus agreed, this was a great thing.

Advertisement