Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Netflix and Apple TV

• 13-04-2012 3:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭

Has anyone got problems with netflix going through their apple tv??
    All i get is netflix is unavailable, please try later.
    Ive rang netflix who told me its a problem with the eircom server, I rang eircom who said they never heard of such sh**e. Its not the apple tv, the wifi etc etc (i can rent films from itunes no problem). Then i asked around, and have talked to a few people who run the same (netflix,apple tv and eircom), and they have no problems.

Any ideas?? Ive tried the basics like reset, restart, pull the power etc etc. This has been going on for over a week now.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭marcus2000

nope. sorry. my netflix works fine with my apple TV. I'm with UPC though - so could be an eircom issue. Can you use the other Apple TV apps...youtube/the NFL/baseball crap/the short films App thing)

(there was an apple tv software update recently to a new interface. did you update??? )

(an aside: am unsubscribing from netflix at the of the free subscription because it is AWFUL. there are better films on City channel than this one. you're not missing anything)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭brav

What about netflix on your computer or xbox or iPad or something?
    If this is OK are they connected differently? like is one on Wifi and other on ethernet.

If you try your apple TV on ethernet instead of Wifi, how is that?

Could try signing out of netflix account and signing back in to the Apple TV, might get rid of the netflix cache on there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭daveyboy_1ie

As a matter of fact I was off work the last few days and I am getting this message several times a day. And I am with UPC. I usually have to reset the Apple TV box, which can be annoying when it happened several times over a space of a few hours.

The only thing I could think of was the fact I am on the US Netflix on the Apple TV and the fact I had ran the same account on my PC with the Irish version earlier in the week. Maybe clutching at straws there.

Now I see you are having the same issues there may indeed be an issue with Apple TV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

I have heard a few concerns about how Netflix handles generally on this version of the ATV software. Hopefully the first update will resolve it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

marcus2000 wrote: »
    (an aside: am unsubscribing from netflix at the of the free subscription because it is AWFUL. there are better films on City channel than this one. you're not missing anything)

What a load of crap but heh, well done you !:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

My netflix on ipad keeps crashing out from the search bar.
    I cant search for any movies.
    As if it wasnt shiite enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

My netflix on ipad keeps crashing out from the search bar.
    I cant search for any movies.
    As if it wasnt shiite enough.
    Tried a reboot ? Failing that, a delete & reinstall should do the trick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭andy1249

Just tried it on my new ATV 3 and yes , netflix is ropey as hell at the moment , the best I could get was two minutes of a movie and it crashes out , then a "not available" message.

Im using ethernet and on UPC 30mb package.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,648 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Yep having the same issue, started only in the last week. Saying not available. Very intermittent. On UPC.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭DerryRed

Same here. i'm on UPC 100MB using Wireless and I can't get anything more out of a movie than a few minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

dodzy wrote: »
    Tried a reboot ? Failing that, a delete & reinstall should do the trick.

Yip, tried it all.
    Cant understand it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭marcus2000

dodzy wrote: »
    What a load of crap but heh, well done you !:rolleyes:

Chillax.:rolleyes: It was just sarcasm man:rolleyes:. I considered using TG4 as a comparison (but I felt it would be an injustice to TG4!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:). Personally, I was disappointed with the selection of films on Netflix. I struggled to find films of interest to me so I unsubscribed. Apple TV is better - more of a selection (though still very limited) but at least you only pay for what you watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 269 ✭✭silverwood

It's been driving me mad constantly getting the 'not available' thing.

There is an short thread on the Apple Support Forums about it which basically says to reset your device. It seems to have sorted it for me so far.

Have a read of it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭DerryRed

I was having this issue up until Sunday. I then hooked up the ethernet cable and it was working perfectly. I've since removed the ethernet cable and it's working perfectly over WiFi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭scary

I was getting this quite alot when on the US netflix, reset the ip and dns settings back to the default irish settings and have not had it since. I definitly put it down to the US settings. I'm on UPC 50meg and connecting through wifi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭ado100

I bought an ATV yesterday and was having the same problem: "Netflix is currently unavailable" message. I thought Apple might be trying to channel people towards iTunes aby making Netflix unreliable, but then why put Netflix up there in the first place? Anyway, in desperation I restarted the whole thing and it now seems to work fine except the box would go to sleep after an hour (which I sorted in settings). I'm with Eircom and have the ATV hard-wired through a 'home-plug'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Working fine for me!

Haven't managed to get a HD stream yet though

Watched Breaking Bad last night - says it HD but was defo not. Have my account settings to Highest Quality. On a 3mb broadband connection maybe that's the problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭mel123

As a matter of fact I was off work the last few days and I am getting this message several times a day. And I am with UPC. I usually have to reset the Apple TV box, which can be annoying when it happened several times over a space of a few hours.

The only thing I could think of was the fact I am on the US Netflix on the Apple TV and the fact I had ran the same account on my PC with the Irish version earlier in the week. Maybe clutching at straws there.

Now I see you are having the same issues there may indeed be an issue with Apple TV.

Hi,

I was also running the US version and since I took it off and am back using the Irish Version I dont have these problems. Im annoyed that Netflix filled me a load of crap about their being a problem with them and the eircom servers, but at least Im back up and running and having a look at the US one now that I know whats on it I dont feel Im missing out too much

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Are you accessing the US version through Unblock-us , I am using an irish account with US dns . Should I be using a US account ???:confused::confused:

yeah i was using unblock us.
    maybe thats what gave the problem, maybe it was just coincidence.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

I thought Apple might be trying to channel people towards iTunes aby making Netflix unreliable, but then why put Netflix up there in the first place?
    Yeah, thats not really how Apple works.

Back to the same problem Gaian the past few days, even a reset doesn't help. Will be cancelling Netflix before my next payment is taken, not impressed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 361 ✭✭curly.bert

mel123 wrote: »
    Back to the same problem Gaian the past few days, even a reset doesn't help. Will be cancelling Netflix before my next payment is taken, not impressed

I've been using Netflix on the ATV without any hitches on UPC broadband. Just to clarify OP - are you trying to access the US or Irish version? If it's the US one, I wouldn't be that surprised about it not working.

Irish version. Gave thUS version a go, thought maybe that's why I was having so many problems, but seems not

mel123 wrote: »
    Irish version. Gave thUS version a go, thought maybe that's why I was having so many problems, but seems not

Is Unblock US still active? If you set up a VPN, it could be interfering with your Netflix connection

Sorry, to be more specific - did you set up Unblock US on the router? If you did, you'll need to make sure you've removed the settings fully as it will interfere with all traffic coming from your local network (such as the Apple TV)

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Volovo

I have to agree with the sentiments of one of the posters above, the selection on Netflix is not good at all imo.

Advertisement