Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How big is Texas?

• 13-04-2012 3:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

I hear it's about 20 times the size of Ireland which is crazy if true.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭jimmurt

Area or population?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭AngryBollix

Its bleedin' massive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Big enough to hold a few Texans and their hummers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

If only there was a magic box that when one inputs questions into it it searches the entire human collection of knowledge to return the most relevant places where one could find the answer.

Some day...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

Seachmall wrote: »
    If only there was a magic box that when one inputs questions into it it searches the entire human collection of knowledge to return the most relevant places where one could find the answer.

Some day...

That will never happen, come on........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

Well, it wasn't as big as B&Q and even after it was rebranded to Homebase it wasn't as big as Woodies either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 109 ✭✭Daidy2011

Texas is 266,853 square miles, Ireland is 32,595 square miles (the island of Ireland) therefore Texas is 8.2 times bigger than Ireland.

The population of Texas according to the 2011 census is 26,403,743. In comparison Ireland's (the Republic) population, again according to the latest census is 4,581,269.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

It's about the size of that asteroid in Armageddon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Look at it this way, when you're in America, an inch on a map takes a **** load of time longer to drive that an inch on a map in Ireland, and can leave you tired and confused six hours later in pretty much the same city you started in.

Trust me, I know.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Wikipedia says it's 268,581m^2 and Ireland is 31,520m^2.

So, 268,581/31,520= roughly 8.5 times the size of Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

Some day...

ohhh you're talking about bing yeah?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

If only there was a magic box

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=texas+vs.+ireland

Texas | Ireland

population | 25.15 million people | 4.589 million people
    population growth | 2.01% per year | 1.885 %/yr
    area | 695664 km^2 (square kilometers) | 68883 km^2 (square kilometers)
    highest point | Guadalupe Peak, 2668 meters | 1041 meters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

google it, ya lazy bastard ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Some day...

That be witchcraft you be talking there. Such a device could only be powered by burning kittens..... which incidentally they do in Texas to ward off men with large hats named JR.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

tebowfan wrote: »

Aye, considering a couple of other guys have shown its 8.5 times bigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

It's almost 4 times the size of Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

It's a good bit bigger than France. There's a Texas on Uranus, too, and just like here it's full of ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

Daidy2011 wrote: »
    Texas is 266,853 square miles, Ireland is 32,595 square miles (the island of Ireland) therefore Texas is 8.2 times bigger than Ireland.

The population of Texas according to the 2011 census is 26,403,743. In comparison Ireland's (the Republic) population, again according to the latest census is 4,581,269.[/Qoute]

See OP all you have to do is write a letter with your question to Daidy2011 the google service and that company will then post the answer for you on a message board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

tebowfan wrote: »

You better not google Russia, your head just might explode!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Gee Bag wrote: »
    You better not google Russia, your head just might explode!

Contrary to popular belief Russia doesn't exist.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Just checked it on google maps there and it's only a little bigger than my thumb. That's tiny, Irelands at least 100 times bigger than my thumb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,509 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

And Alaska is roughly three times bigger than Texas! But Ireland has over four times the population of Alaska! It's like the Roscommon of the USA-backward, massive and sparsely populated!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

It's funny, I was only thinking about this recently as I took a little bit of time out to write to an old friend of mine. Lets call her "Chel".

I said to her, "you know what Chel, it's kinda funny, Texas always seems so big!" But thinking about it some more I had to admit that you do know you're in the largest state in the union when you're staying in Anchorage Alaska.

I ended up writing a song about it with her but it turned out to have infringed the copyright of one she'd written years earlier.

I disagree the Irish empire is vast, I drove to one of the far reaches of it and it took ages. So Ireland just has to be bigger then Texas.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭The Radiator

davet82 wrote: »
    google it, ya lazy bastard ;)

How is he lazy though? It would take less effort to Google it than start a new thread

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

44leto wrote: »
    I disagree the Irish empire is vast, I drove to one of the far reaches of it and it took ages. So Ireland just has to be bigger then Texas.

Ah that's them poxy 30km/h speed limits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Texas has to be big or there would be no room for all the bullsh1t.

A serious life changing drought there at the moment and it has lasted for years, the land is becoming desert.

OP I will make your head explode, Texas is in an even bigger country.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Try google.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement