Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Was there a big robbery or something today?

Options
  • 13-04-2012 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭

only asking as we were away for a few days and were driving back through Kilsheelan on way back from Clonmel..I wasn't paying much attention but there was a Garda checkpoint ahead ( husband was driving, kids in the back) and we stopped at it..we were waved straight on but as we were going through there was a member of the Armed Response Unit with a big gun looking at all the cars and they were stopping nearly all the vans for a lot longer than the cars..husband thinks they were trying to catch someone either on way to or from Waterford/Clonmel

anyone hear anything? i'm so nosey:o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Yea there was a laptop robbed, something to do with the theatre royal I think. It's all over wlr. The play has to be cancelled because of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Jesus, Credit Card details or something on the laptop maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭randox

Heard Michael Collins production was cancelled because the programming laptop was stolen from Theatre Royal.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭eiresandra

Whilst a terrible crime in that it affected so many people, I wouldn't think the Armed Response Unit would be called out to deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭snuggles09

eiresandra wrote: »
    Whilst a terrible crime in that it affected so many people, I wouldn't think the Armed Response Unit would be called out to deal with it.

i was thinking the same thing..they meant business..i was thinking a drugs bust or something along those lines or if someone had robbed a post office

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭decies

Apparently some bloke dodged a fare on the luas :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

they had a checkpoint in new ross with them as well yesterday, think they just want a checkpoint to look impressive and let people know that the gardai have guns and nothing serious at all, and they would'nt have an armed checkpoint for a stolen laptop lol

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭d3exile

they had a checkpoint in new ross with them as well yesterday, think they just want a checkpoint to look impressive and let people know that the gardai have guns and nothing serious at all, and they would'nt have an armed checkpoint for a stolen laptop lol

but they'd have one for nothing.... interesting theory

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 KillUreMan

The reason for the checkpoints the last few days has something to do with the dozen or more caravans that have moved in on the Carrickpherish road. A new crowd of rats have moved in. Anyone around the area be wary, the wife has family up that way and they're wicked worried as similar rats who have moved onto that road in the past were often up to no good if you get me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Thats gonna be a paddlin

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭laughter189

There were ARU checkpoints in many areas yesterday , including Carnaross , Cootehill , Dunleer

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Something on in the tower anyway every enterance has a guard on it with unmarked and marked cars outside. Was also a tax and insurance check on the quay a little while ago. Was a car pulled over on tramore road earlier also.

They were also all in the chipper in ballybricken, if that helps :p

Personally, I say the household charge is working :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Armed officers sometimes just attend along side the traffic stops. Not sure why but Im sure its nothing too big.

I live in the middle of nowhere and have seen it a few times near me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

Armed Garda with water cannons up around the top of the town area, it could be something about the househols charges?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Sully wrote: »
    Something on in the tower anyway every enterance has a guard on it with unmarked and marked cars outside. Was also a tax and insurance check on the quay a little while ago. Was a car pulled over on tramore road earlier also.

Phil Hogan was down there for a dinner tonight so it's more than likely that. There was a protest earlier, as far as I know.
    marlin vs wrote: »
    Armed Garda with water cannons up around the top of the town area, it could be something about the househols charges?

That's a very strange one. Where was this? I didn't know the Gardaí even had water cannons. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

marlin vs wrote: »
    Someone probably mentioned some kind of wet taoiseach competition in the station? :)

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭TheGormog

It's the American Rappers influencing gun culture amongst the Gardai. Ask any Superintendent in Cork and he'll tell you that the young recruits are only interested in 'blasting fools' and 'sticking caps in people's asses'.

Maybe if there was more trad music on MTV, we could revert to much gentler times. Times where you could question a suspect by hopping an 05 phonebook off his head. Maybe the yellow pages too if he was actin' the maggot.

We can but dream...

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭giles lynchwood

TheGormog wrote: »
    It's the American Rappers influencing gun culture amongst the Gardai. Ask any Superintendent in Cork and he'll tell you that the young recruits are only interested in 'blasting fools' and 'sticking caps in people's asses'.

Maybe if there was more trad music on MTV, we could revert to much gentler times. Times where you could question a suspect by hopping an 05 phonebook off his head. Maybe the yellow pages too if he was actin' the maggot.

We can but dream...

Times have changed now they handcuff,pepper spray and kick you in the head while you are on the ground in that order and then arrest you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

It's to do with a number of caravans that have moved in just behind me from what I've heard. Someone was out in my back garden last night, dog started barking. So I've certainly weary.

There needs to be laws enforced here for parking up on the sides of roads. No notices, just removal straight away. By force if need be.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭ILoveShoez

dlofnep wrote: »
    It's to do with a number of caravans that have moved in just behind me from what I've heard. Someone was out in my back garden last night, dog started barking. So I've certainly weary.

There needs to be laws enforced here for parking up on the sides of roads. No notices, just removal straight away. By force if need be.

But apparently the Gardai left them into the site of the new schools, like WTF?!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Typhoon.

dlofnep wrote: »
    It's to do with a number of caravans that have moved in just behind me

Moved in where ???:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭ILoveShoez

Typhoon. wrote: »
    Moved in where ???:confused:

They moved in just across and up a bit from Frydays Chipper in Gracedieu.

They have gone since around lunch time though.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Whats with all the caravans that are just off the Motorway in Waterford :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Autosport wrote: »
    Whats with all the caravans that are just off the Motorway in Waterford :confused:

on the outer ring road or across the bridge?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

The new RSU (Regional Support Unit) are based in Waterford and Cahir and cover the southern region. They have their own duties, but also assist with checkpoints if required.

The Gardai at the Tower Hotel 2 nights ago was for Phil Hogans Labour Party conference, and there were household charge protestors down there. From what i heard, the Labour crowd were far worse than the protestors. The protestors were chanting the usual, normal stuff. The Labour crowd were calling them scumbags. Tax money well spent.

As for the "rats" as someone so eloquently called them, if they move into somewhere illegally, they are served with a notice which gives them 24 hours to move or the caravans will be towed. The were moved from Ferrybank initially, then they went up by Frydays, and hunted from there yesterday. But i believe they set up camp out near the Port last night.

Personally, i believe that the notice should be immediate, balls to this 24 hour notice crap. I hate them, believing they can do what they want. And i couldn't care less if i sound discriminatory, but nobody wants them around, as they are nothing but trouble. And, unlike other "minority" groups, it's the majority that are bad apples. Prove me otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

I agree with the statements above, a harder faster firmer hand should be enforced with the travellers,
    For far to long they have been running this country using fear and intimidation as tactics.
    Look at the cut of them going round the town with their muscles and tans and new cars, thinking they are above the law.
    A well known traveller got a six month suspended sentence this week for hammering the piss out of a student.
    Yet he has been involved in a string of incidents.
    The armed unit being based in Waterforf is a good thing, fingers crossed they shot one of the bastads.
    Minority my arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

kryogen wrote: »
    on the outer ring road or across the bridge?

Outer ring road

Heard ambulance and squad cars, possibly fire engine too tonight by WIT? Anyone know what happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

There was a lot of activity today on the Tramore Road , about 1/2 mile out .

Gardai were there and many many caravans parked in off the road .

• Advertisement

There was a lot of activity today on the Tramore Road , about 1/2 mile out .

Gardai were there and many many caravans parked in off the road .

That must have been it.

Advertisement