Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green Algae

Options
  • 13-04-2012 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Hi

I've set back up my tank (270 litre) a few months back after moving house, but now I've a major green algae problem.
    The difference in set-up is that I'm now in a house with well-water as opposed to before when I was on the mains.

I've tried adding tap safe, etc but without any joy.. Within a week of changing the water it gets to the stage where you can no longer see into the tank and clogs up the filter..

Any suggestions on how I can go about resolving this issue?

Thanks.

:confused:

(currently I only have only Neon Tetra's and Zebra Danio's stocked)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,239 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Generally algae means too much nutrients (i.e. over-feeding) and/or too much light.

When you say you've tried adding tap safe do you mean you're not doing that every time? Even with water from a well rather than chlorinated mains water I'd still be tempted to use Prime with every 20% water change.

eSHa do an algae remover that's supposed to be quite effective. I've not used it myself but their other products are great.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Agree with Sleepy. Is the tank now positioned in sunlight where as it wasn't before?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭dr. gonzo

thanks..

I've moved house so the tank is in a different position, but I've tried having the room in complete darkness for a week after a water refresh and within a week or so of having the conditions back to normal the algae returns.

I'll try the algae remover and see how that goes.

thanks !

How much water are you changing at a go?

Tank Size / Stock Level / Feeding pattern?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭dr. gonzo

Would change around 25-30% of the water during a change, and clean filter ever 2nd change.

Tank Size: 270L
    Stock: 10 neon tetra & 6 zebra danios (limiting stock due to Algae problem)
    Feeding: pinch flakes morning & evening

thanks.

• Advertisement

I'd try reducing feeding to once a day.

It's possible there's some algae spores or something in your water since it's coming from a well. You could rule this out by doing a water change with some RO water purchased from a fish store (I know Seahorse sell it for a reasonable price and will loan you 25l drums if you put a deposit on them) and seeing if the algae problem continues?

A pleco or other algae eater could help too?

Advertisement