Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it hard to find a job in Galway?

Options
  • 13-04-2012 4:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

I'll be staying on in Galway through the summer and I know the city well, but I really need work...something which won't require qualifications as I'm still a student, such as waitressing/shop work/pub work. I have next to no proper work experience.
    Is it difficult to find a job like this in Galway? And how would I go about getting someone to take me on? I assume carting out CVs won't really cut it anymore?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Leelaveela wrote: »
    I'll be staying on in Galway through the summer and I know the city well, but I really need work...something which won't require qualifications as I'm still a student, such as waitressing/shop work/pub work. I have next to no proper work experience.
    Is it difficult to find a job like this in Galway? And how would I go about getting someone to take me on? I assume carting out CVs won't really cut it anymore?

Go to the employment agencies, they handle intake for factories etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

To be honest with the amount of events on this summer I'd say you'll have no problems getting work in shops/bars/restaurants/events etc....
    There will be a massive demand for them from now till End of August.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 stacey25

my cousin is from there, she said its not so difficult to find a job

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

It can be done alright. Just plaster the town with CVs.
    Penneys is a good bet, they take on a lot of summer staff and are really good employers.
    Worst comes to the worst, you'll easily be able to find work during Race Week as hotels always need runners, cleaners, barstaff etc(Radisson Blue for example). Low pay and long hours but it all adds up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Leelaveela wrote: »

Pretty easy if you're willing to work and have the experience. There's been shed loads of jobs this past year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭ciano1

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Pretty easy if you're willing to work and have the experience. There's been shed loads of jobs this past year.

If ya don't?? :p:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

ciano1 wrote: »
    If ya don't?? :p:(:(

Move somewhere else. There's enough unemployed people with experience that if you don't have any and don't know the people hiring it would be tough.

Could offer to work a couple days a week for free to get experience.

Or just go on the dole. That's the sweet life!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭ciano1

Wompa1 wrote: »

Or just go on the dole. That's the sweet life!

Damn my current student status! :(

Advertisement