Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

British ppsn number

• 13-04-2012 5:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭

Not sure if im asking about this in the right area or thread but I was just wondering if anyone would know how to obtain a british ppsn number as I'm moving to London for the summer for summer work and not too sure on how to get one ? Or if I don't need a different ppsn number to work over there can u please let me know thanks
    Regards

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭GetWithIt

Just PPSN

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

You can use mine. It's 19.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

I lived in Scotland before and applied for my national insurance number (the equivalent of the ppsn) when I got there in a Job Centre (loads everywhere).
    I think you can only do it when you arrive but it's a pretty straightforward process.
    That was a few years ago so things might be different now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Very straightforward to get a NI number OP

Find your local job centre, you'll be in and out under an hour and it'll be posted out to you

Now the difficult part was opening a bank account
    Ulster bank and Bank of Ireland would not recognize me though I had Irish accounts with them.
    I just assumed they would :o

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Jericho.

PPS Number or PPSN, not PPSN number. The N stands for number. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18 Frere_Jaques

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Jericho. wrote: »
    PPS Number or PPSN, not PPSN number. The N stands for number. :pac:

One of those

I bet you correct people for using ATM machine too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

neiler987 wrote: »
    I was just wondering if anyone would know how to obtain a british ppsn number

To get your number you have to climb over the wall of Buckingham Palace, at night, wearing a balaclava.

You can skip the queue if you keep shouting Allah-ua-Akbar at the top of your voice.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Just send all of your details to:

123 Fake Street

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Go via Calais and you won't need one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Is it not a National Insurance number you're after?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭ruthiepie

Not sure if im asking about this in the right area or thread but I was just wondering if anyone would know how to obtain a british ppsn number as I'm moving to London for the summer for summer work and not too sure on how to get one ? Or if I don't need a different ppsn number to work over there can u please let me know thanks
    Regards

Moved to scotland 2 months ago so assuming its the same thing in the rest of the UK. Rang job centre, booked an appointment with them, they set it up for the centre nearest to me. Went in with my proof of ID, both passport and license was sent out in the post about 10 days later! Oh also gave them my birth cert but you don't have to do that, they just say it helps with pensions and so on at a later stage!!
    mikemac1 wrote: »

Find your local job centre, you'll be in and out under an hour and it'll be posted out to you

Ulster bank and Bank of Ireland would not recognize me though I had Irish accounts with them.

Had the same problem with the bank account, no one would look at me cos i didn't have proof of address and blah blah blah. Walked into barclays and as long as I had proof of my ID, they were happy out. Now they're prob not the best bank out there but they'll do me for the moment!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭neiler987

mikemac1 wrote: »

Can I not get the PPS before i move to London as ill be starting work straight away when i get there ???

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭fox_1973

As far as I know, you have to wait until you arrive in the UK to obtain the number, it cant be done from here, the same way you cannot get an irish pps number until you are in the country

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 231 ✭✭jaspertheghost

go to the job centre and you`ll get it....have you a job organised??? i was over there 3/4 years ago and some employers will only take you on if you go self emloyed and it was a right pain in the arse trying to get that sorted out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭Trashbat

You may need proof of address when going to the job centre, as well as 2 forms of valid ID. Try and make sure you're over cautious with your documents and the bureaucracy is a nightmare in Jobcentre plus.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

The answers you seek are in the FAQ thread in the London forum:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056364193

If you know someone living in the UK change your credit card over to their address, this is sufficient to open a bank account, proof of address for NI number etc. Then when you have everything sorted just do a change of address on the Bank a/c and credit card over to your own address.

This worked for me no problem when I spent a while in London a few years ago, except I didn't need to change the address on the account as I lived at the address of the people I knew, it shouldn't be a problem though people move house all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Violafy

Anyone who has gotten a NI number in the UK to work - did it cost them anything? I've been on some websites (they don't look like scams) and have seen them charging over £50 to apply for one, while the HMRC website doesn't mention anything about cost.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Regards

http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=obtaining%20a%20pps%20number%20england&source=web&cd=3&ved=0CD8QFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.welfare.ie%2FEN%2FTopics%2FPPSN%2FPages%2FHowToApply.aspx&ei=O-6PT4CqC8nBhAempryYBA&usg=AFQjCNHCAvr35F6Kwn-wBjLylRYXcRpjTg

Good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

Not sure if im asking about this in the right area thanks
    Regards
    Gee Bag wrote: »
    To get your number you have to climb over the wall of Buckingham Palace, at night, wearing a balaclava.

You can skip the queue if you keep shouting Allah-ua-Akbar at the top of your voice.

Hope this helps.
    To whom it may concern,

Nope.

Regards,
    Saa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 231 ✭✭jaspertheghost

Violafy wrote: »
    Anyone who has gotten a NI number in the UK to work - did it cost them anything? I've been on some websites (they don't look like scams) and have seen them charging over £50 to apply for one, while the HMRC website doesn't mention anything about cost.:confused:

eh no.....go in yourself when you get there and you`ll get one...or you can give me 50 quid and i`ll get ya one :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Trashbat wrote: »
    You may need proof of address when going to the job centre, as well as 2 forms of valid ID. Try and make sure you're over cautious with your documents and the bureaucracy is a nightmare in Jobcentre plus.

There are over 100,000,000 NI numbers in circulation, so they are getting a bit strict on who they give them out to.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Had one myself and as others rightly stated, look to a job centre in England and they will guide you.
    Have the appropriate paperwork as described above and its onwards and hopefully upwards.
    Wish you all the best.

go to the job centre and you`ll get it....have you a job organised??? i was over there 3/4 years ago and some employers will only take you on if you go self emloyed and it was a right pain in the arse trying to get that sorted out

any possibility or chance that i could do all that through a job centre in ireland ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭UglyBolloxFace

For ****s sake, just go to London, start your job, and then when you get the time go to the JobCentre. FFS.

For ****s sake, just go to London, start your job, and then when you get the time go to the JobCentre. FFS.

Problem is if that takes a couple of weeks for my application to come through ive been told by my employer that they wont pay me for the weeks ive worked without the pps number, they ll just back date my wages 1 week from when ive gave them the number,... dont really want to be doing 3 or 4 weeks work and not getting a penny for it ! especially as its only for the summer

so i kind of really need it badly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭UglyBolloxFace

Problem is if that takes a couple of weeks for my application to come through ive been told by my employer that they wont pay me for the weeks ive worked without the pps number, they ll just back date my wages 1 week from when ive gave them the number,... dont really want to be doing 3 or 4 weeks work and not getting a penny for it ! especially as its only for the summer

Ah I get you now, that changes everything.

Have you looked into going to the North and obtaining one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭plasteritup

well then get out of boards and start making phone calls and the like to get it sorted for YOURSELF.jesus man .

• Advertisement
Advertisement