Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I received infraction in Political thread

Options
  • 13-04-2012 5:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭

Hello I received infraction. I think this is unfair as it will be on permanently on my record will go against me if in future I want to be a mod. I did not mean any harm in what I said and I meant it to be humorous but comment was removed. What I said was "Nothing worse then a teacher apologist to another poster" and I got infracted for this. I said it because the poster was too heavy on teachers side and I presumed he was teacher from post. Please reconsider infraction as I apologise for what I said.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Talk to the mod about it first, they may change their mind. If they don't then we can look at it here though Dades will deal with it as he's not a Politics mod.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭bensweeney

nesf wrote: »
    Talk to the mod about it first, they may change their mind. If they don't then we can look at it here though Dades will deal with it as he's not a Politics mod.

The moderater said in pm to come here

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

bensweeney wrote: »
    The moderater said in pm to come here

Right, I'll PM Dades and ask him to look at this.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

MOD NOTE:

I am having a very hard time seeing how the OP for this thread creates any room for rational discussion of either education or the budget, and predictably this thread has descended into a teacher-bashing fest. As a reminder to posters, the forum is very clear: THIS IS NOT LIVELINE.

I am hoping things can make a turn for the better - or at least the constructive - otherwise I see little point in keeping this thread open.
    bensweeny wrote:
    Nothing worse than a Teacher apologist!
    I note from the thread that you even quoted the moderator's post asking people to be constructive. The thread was spiralling out of control, and you pretty much put your foot in your mouth.

Sorry, bensweeney, you can't post in the face of mod instruction and expect to not be infracted. Politics run a tight ship.

I wouldn't worry about future mod duties. If you ever get in that position, I doubt that solitary card would matter in the grand scheme of things.

You can appeal to an admin here, if you still want to query this.

Dades

Dades wrote: »
    I note from the thread that you even quoted the moderator's post asking people to be constructive. The thread was spiralling out of control, and you pretty much put your foot in your mouth.

Sorry, bensweeney, you can't post in the face of mod instruction and expect to not be infracted. Politics run a tight ship.

I wouldn't worry about future mod duties. If you ever get in that position, I doubt that solitary card would matter in the grand scheme of things.

You can appeal to an admin here, if you still want to query this.

Dades

Yes I wish to appeal, because I had only read the first page and did not think I was replying to a long thread. I thought I was next post. I did not know it was a mod but same rules should apply to everyone and I though he was trying to wind up a bit.

• Advertisement

I dont read that good because I suffer from dyslexia, please give me some slack

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I've had a look at this and I'm afraid I can see no reason to overturn the infraction. The mod instruction was very clear and you compounded your transgression by quoting the instruction and accusing the mod of something they clearly weren't. We can't legislate for what portions of a thread a person has read, it's each poster's responsibility to know what the thread is about and what they are replying to before posting.

As regards wanting to become a mod in the future, you should note that you do not apply for the position, you are invited to become a mod. However should that day ever come around and as long as you have a good record and keep out of trouble, one infraction isn't going to particularly harm your chances.

Zaph wrote: »
    I've had a look at this and I'm afraid I can see no reason to overturn the infraction. The mod instruction was very clear and you compounded your transgression by quoting the instruction and accusing the mod of something they clearly weren't. We can't legislate for what portions of a thread a person has read, it's each poster's responsibility to know what the thread is about and what they are replying to before posting.

As regards wanting to become a mod in the future, you should note that you do not apply for the position, you are invited to become a mod. However should that day ever come around and as long as you have a good record and keep out of trouble, one infraction isn't going to particularly harm your chances.

Have a read of this before you comment any further

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2004/en/act/pub/0024/index.html

This act applies to this website as well considering it is hosted in Ireland.

Have a read of this before you comment any further

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2004/en/act/pub/0024/index.html

This act applies to this website as well considering it is hosted in Ireland.

To save me wading through that, perhaps you'd like to enlighten me as to the point you're trying to make?

To save me wading through that, perhaps you'd like to enlighten me as to the point you're trying to make?

My disability, you have to cut me some slack on it. I apologise now please remove infraction. I promise never to do anything like it again.

• Advertisement

My disability, you have to cut me some slack on it.

I'm sorry that you have such a disability, however this is possibly the most pathetic thing I've ever seen on Boards. You claim you were discriminated against on the basis of your disability only after your final appeal failed. The fact the the mod in question could have no possible way of knowing that you were dyslexic and discriminate against you because of it seems to have not entered your mind at all. Your infraction had nothing to do with you being dyslexic, you tried to be a smart arse on the thread and it blew up in your face, and you should be ashamed of yourself for trying to guilt me into lifting your ban because of it. You do a great disservice to both yourself and all other dyslexics who would never dream of trying to use their disability to get their own way in such an inappropriate manner. I should also point out that according to site rules I could permanently siteban you for making a legal issue of this, especially where none exists. Consider yourself lucky that I haven't.
    I apologise now please remove infraction. I promise never to do anything like it again.

Your apology is accepted, but the infraction will not be removed.

As for worrying about whether it might hamper your chances of ever becoming a mod, well as I said earlier, it wouldn't. However this latest little stunt has completely blown those chances and you can forget about ever being considered in the future.

I'm sorry that you have such a disability, however this is possibly the most pathetic thing I've ever seen on Boards. You claim you were discriminated against on the basis of your disability only after your final appeal failed. The fact the the mod in question could have no possible way of knowing that you were dyslexic and discriminate against you because of it seems to have not entered your mind at all. Your infraction had nothing to do with you being dyslexic, you tried to be a smart arse on the thread and it blew up in your face, and you should be ashamed of yourself for trying to guilt me into lifting your ban because of it. You do a great disservice to both yourself and all other dyslexics who would never dream of trying to use their disability to get their own way in such an inappropriate manner. I should also point out that according to site rules I could permanently siteban you for making a legal issue of this, especially where none exists. Consider yourself lucky that I haven't.

Your apology is accepted, but the infraction will not be removed.

As for worrying about whether it might hamper your chances of ever becoming a mod, well as I said earlier, it wouldn't. However this latest little stunt has completely blown those chances and you can forget about ever being considered in the future.

I said on my first few posts about my disability so it is well known. You would want to take a long close look at yourself for your attack on me here. Manners are free and should be used. That will be my final word on it. Discrimination is alive and well in Ireland 2012.

Plus I may be making a complaint to the Equality Authority about my treatment on here.

I said on my first few posts about my disability so it is well known.

You only mentioned it after Dades turned down your appeal, so "well known" may be a stretch. It wasn't a factor before that and you're simply playing the sympathy card at this stage.
    You would want to take a long close look at yourself for your attack on me here. Manners are free and should be used.

I think you'll find that I am extremely polite to posters until they do something to warrant being treated otherwise. Your ridiculous claims of discrimination put you firmly into the latter category.
    Discrimination is alive and well in Ireland 2012.

As I already stated, you were infracted for a breach of the forum rules. You weren't infracted because you were dyslexic. If you fail to see the difference then I'm afraid that chip on your shoulder is going to be a huge burden as you go through life.
    Plus I may be making a complaint to the Equality Authority about my treatment on here.

Your treatment here is no different to how anyone else who makes ridiculous vague legal threats against the site would be treated. In fact I've sitebanned people for less, so consider the fact that you haven't been sitebanned yet as the slack you previously insisted you be cut. You appealed an infraction, the appeal was unsuccessful at all levels and then you decided to pull the discrimination card. If I thought that there was even the merest chance you had been discriminated against because of your disability then I would have no hesitation in overturning the infraction and having a strong word with the mod who infracted you, and perhaps even demod them. As it was a straightforward breach of the rules that anyone would have been infracted for there is absolutely no reason to overturn it.

There are quite a few other dyslexics on Boards, one of whom I know very well, and not once have I ever seen any of them blaming their dyslexia on their inability to keep to the rules. Unfortunately the refusal to take personal responsibility and the willingness to blame things on someone or something else is an all too common feature of modern society and this is just another case of it.

You only mentioned it after Dades turned down your appeal, so "well known" may be a stretch. It wasn't a factor before that and you're simply playing the sympathy card at this stage.

I think you'll find that I am extremely polite to posters until they do something to warrant being treated otherwise. Your ridiculous claims of discrimination put you firmly into the latter category.

As I already stated, you were infracted for a breach of the forum rules. You weren't infracted because you were dyslexic. If you fail to see the difference then I'm afraid that chip on your shoulder is going to be a huge burden as you go through life.

Your treatment here is no different to how anyone else who makes ridiculous vague legal threats against the site would be treated. In fact I've sitebanned people for less, so consider the fact that you haven't been sitebanned yet as the slack you previously insisted you be cut. You appealed an infraction, the appeal was unsuccessful at all levels and then you decided to pull the discrimination card. If I thought that there was even the merest chance you had been discriminated against because of your disability then I would have no hesitation in overturning the infraction and having a strong word with the mod who infracted you, and perhaps even demod them. As it was a straightforward breach of the rules that anyone would have been infracted for there is absolutely no reason to overturn it.

There are quite a few other dyslexics on Boards, one of whom I know very well, and not once have I ever seen any of them blaming their dyslexia on their inability to keep to the rules. Unfortunately the refusal to take personal responsibility and the willingness to blame things on someone or something else is an all too common feature of modern society and this is just another case of it.

You said I will never become Mod because of my "Stunt" My "Stunt" was telling you I had dyslexia and failed to keep up the thread and asking for some slack, so for pointing out I had a disability and telling of the laws and legislation means I can no longer be a mod.

I think this has run its course, so time to close it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement