Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What did you learn at school today?

Options
  • 13-04-2012 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭

I'm studying and came up with an idea for a thread. If you come across any interesting, useful or bizarre bits of information, please share. :)

I'm learning about renal syndromes. In membranous nephropathy, 20% of patients don't change, 30% remit and 50% go into CRF.

It is associated with infections (hep B, malaria, syphilis), some malignancies and drugs (captopril, gold, penicillamine).

On microscopy, there'll be thickening of the glomerular capillary walls. Silver stain will show up BM spikes. Immunofluorescence is positive for IgG + C in a granular pattern along the capillaries. Electron microscopy shows up subepithelial deposits.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

With regards to your own post PhysRocks, I learned recently that FSGS has now overtaken MG as the commonest cause of the nephrotic syndrome in adults.
    I would have been taught the opposite when I studied path and I wouldn't be surprised if the current 3rd years are being taught the same.

May be of interest to you.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Today I learned how hard it is to match spots on two D gels and immunoblots.... (it's hard)

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭GradMed

With regards to your own post PhysRocks, I learned recently that FSGS has now overtaken MG as the commonest cause of the nephrotic syndrome in adults.
    I would have been taught the opposite when I studied path and I wouldn't be surprised if the current 3rd years are being taught the same.

it's not just 3rd years being taught it, final year too.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭foreverandever

LOL at this thread.

LOL at this thread.

Today I learned there will always be naysayers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭foreverandever

Today I learned there will always be naysayers.

LOL you must have had a very sheltered upbringing to only discover that now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

post on-topic folks or don't post at all

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Further to the previous learning, I can say that it takes about three days for a n00b to match proteomics spots using teh computer, and after all that, I'll probably end up doing it by eye anyway.

(We prepare protein samples, and separate them into two dimensions so you end up with a gel with an array of spots, and these different samples on their different gels need to be aligned so you can make comparisons between different protein spots. Computer software helps to make the alignment and analysis a little more objective, but it's still pretty painstaking to carry out. On the plus side, I have some nice data to carry on to the next experiment :) )

(Most of my learning is by experience now rather than by lecture, so the information comes in bursts and tends to be a bit more technical)

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Biologic

Methylmalonic acid levels can be used to distinguish between folate and B12 deficiencies in macrocytic anemia. It's normal with folate def but raised with B12 def. This is because B12 is a cofactor in methylmalonic acid metabolisation to succinyl CoA. No B12 means raised methylmalonic acid.
    To add some clinical context to this seemingly unimportant piece of information; methylmalonic acid accumulation in B12 deficiency causes decreased myelinisation of the spinal cord and results in dorsal column and lateral spinothalamic tract degeneration (manifesting with poor proprioception, vibratory sensation and spastic paresis).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Uncannily, I'm studying the very lecture we were taught this in as I read this thread.

"Membranous Glomerulonephritis
    •Commonest primary glomerular cause of proteinuria / nephrotic syndrome: adults 30-50 yrs"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

A Neurotic wrote: »
    Uncannily, I'm studying the very lecture we were taught this in as I read this thread...

No you're not. If you're reading threads on an internet forum, you're not studying!

No you're not. If you're reading threads on an internet forum, you're not studying!

Too true. I need to review my study practices... "a quick google" leads to blatant procrastinating/internet trawling.

[I'm still on the same lecture :o]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 kingofkong

cluster headaches are most common in young male smokers

*renews VHI*

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭IMightKnow

Cluster headaches: Bouts of this unilateral pain last 30-120 minutes each day for between 4 and 16 weeks. During attacks the patient is usually crying

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Most drugs used to treat dementia (Acetylcholinesterase inhibitors;NMDA receptor antagonists) actually only have a slight benefit :(

As well as depression and anxiety, the SNRI duloxetine is licensed for diabetic neuropathy and stress incontinence in women.

As well as depression and anxiety, the SNRI duloxetine is licensed for diabetic neuropathy and stress incontinence in women.

Keeping in line with the antidepressant theme.....

Trazodone is aka trazoBONE due to its male specific side effects.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Jessibelle

Today I learnt that fornication is a usual cause of unwanted pregnancy. ;) And in actual school stuff I learnt most of the thorax and some of the abdominal structures, but thats pure textbook stuff so not too new for many of ye. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭PhysiologyRocks

A heliotrope rash on the eyelids is associated with dermatomyositis. It is a violaceous eruption that may be accompanied by periorbital oedema.

Discoid lupus only progresses to SLE in about 5% of cases.

The term "vesicle" does not incorporate pus-containing lesions (pustules).

By mid 2011 the Sanger institute in the UK had sequenced the equivalent of the human genome more than sixty six thousand times! And the rate of sequencing is only getting faster and faster!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Pharmacognosy:
    Senecionine (And other pyrrolidizine alkaloids such as those found in honey) are cumulatively hepatotoxic.

Tree wrote: »
    By mid 2011 the Sanger institute in the UK had sequenced the equivalent of the human genome more than sixty six thousand times! And the rate of sequencing is only getting faster and faster!

That's all very interesting but what I really want to know is when you can clone me my very own Eva Longoria?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭take everything

Uncannily, I'm studying the very lecture we were taught this in as I read this thread.

"Membranous Glomerulonephritis
    •Commonest primary glomerular cause of proteinuria / nephrotic syndrome: adults 30-50 yrs"

God how i remember that glomerulonephritides stuff. It would do your head in :pac::p

I knew that iodine deficiency caused goitre, but never knew that excess of certain foods could. Goitregenic foods include cabbage, sprouts and kale, just in case anyone needed another reason not to eat them.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Never to get pregnant. OMFG!! Eek.

Larianne wrote: »
    Never to get pregnant. OMFG!! Eek.

Wha?

OBS/GYNAE was actually a fairly enjoyable rotation I thought.

I find even just from an immunological lectures POV, getting pregnant seems pretty dangerous and a terrible idea really.... Glad I havent had to sit through a more blood and guts side of the thing.

Back on topic, today I learned how to use the freeze dryer. (make things reallllllly cold and then put under vaccuum, dont think i'll be treating my coffee like this, inside of the thing isnt too attractive)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

In terms of imaging, CT is better for bone whereas MRI is better for soft tissues.

Cauda Equina syndrome (lower limb nerve palsies, loss of sensation in the "saddle area", incontinence) can be associated with Multiple Myeloma.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭kellogscoffey

I'm going to bring the intellectual tone of this convo down slightly, back to first year... :P

I realized that rigor mortis is caused by a lack of new ATP coming in and stopping those myosin cross-bridge thingies from doing there thang.

At least, I think so...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Albection

I learned that referencing is painful.

So bored I might die. :/

Advertisement