Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Need a new key for nissan primera, ASAP

• 13-04-2012 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Hi guys,
    Worst time for this to happen, friday at 5pm :mad:
    Anyway, the key fob has finally given up on me. The rubber part has totally worn itself away & the internal button just fell out :eek:
    If I stick a key from my keyrings into it I'm able to lock it but I don't think this will last too long & have NCT coming up don't want them giving out to me or refusing the car because they can't fiddle the key.

Question 1: If I call Nissan would they have keys in stock or would I have to wait a few days?

Question 2: Could the key be repaired without having to buy a brand new one?

Question 3: How much am I looking at?

FML:(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭trick

Sorry should have added that I looked on ebay already.
    A lot of those need to be reprogrammed and the sellers aren't very forthcoming with info.
    i.e. if I can use the same actual key with one of those devices. Hmmmm

You just swap over the bits from old key to new one so it won't need programming,i think

You just swap over the bits from old key to new one so it won't need programming,i think

Unfortunately it's gone beyond that as the lock button fell out today. I tried to put it back on (I opened up the key etc but I actually need a new one as the button fell apart & would need to be soldered on anyway)

think your looking at €200 or so then from nissan unless there is another way

• Advertisement

Wonderful & just forked out €600 for a fricking catalytic convertor & STILL need to get the car serviced before NCT in 2 weeks

trick wrote: »
    Wonderful & just forked out €600 for a fricking catalytic convertor & STILL need to get the car serviced before NCT in 2 weeks

where did you pay €600 for cat.?
    http://www.cats2u.co.uk/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=NISSAN%20PRIMERA%201.6%20Petrol%20Cat

The cat was approx €400 with tax & labour on top coming to €600
    Dunno what those are but even a spirius (sp) was working out at €450 labour & vat inc in fast fit
    (those look like partial parts of the cat. We bought a whole one. There is 3 parts to a Nissan Primera cat)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,066 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Did you throw away that lock switch?
    Even if you did it's just a small microswitch which can be bought cheaply and soldered in. Anyone who is doing basic electronics can do it for you.
    In relation to rubber part, maybe try to buy some secondhand key for primera and exchange the rubber. Or maybe just DIY yourself from some other rubber.
    It's all small and precise job but nothing difficult and way cheaper comparing to forking out 200 in the main dealer.

In relation to NCT just don't lock the car when you leave it for test.

Hence that your car can still be locked and unlocked with normal key lock in the door.
    Only tricky thing is that you have got a lock in the left doors only (assuming it's p12 primera).

• Advertisement

CiniO wrote: »
    Did you throw away that lock switch?
    Even if you did it's just a small microswitch which can be bought cheaply and soldered in. Anyone who is doing basic electronics can do it for you.
    In relation to rubber part, maybe try to buy some secondhand key for primera and exchange the rubber. Or maybe just DIY yourself from some other rubber.
    It's all small and precise job but nothing difficult and way cheaper comparing to forking out 200 in the main dealer.

In relation to NCT just don't lock the car when you leave it for test.

Hence that your car can still be locked and unlocked with normal key lock in the door.
    Only tricky thing is that you have got a lock in the left doors only (assuming it's p12 primera).

Cool stuff. I'll have a look again on eBay I saw the switches for sale. My brother is an electronic engineer so I'll get him to solder the button on. The key is working at the moment I just need to fiddle a bit with it to press the button.
    Thanks for the info ;-)

Advertisement