Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Domestic Violence

• 13-04-2012 5:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭

I usually go for the light hearted stuff but i came across the following article and it just sort of got to me...

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/mum-who-had-her-eyes-gouged-out-794063

Basicly to cut the story short this womens boyfriend, who she stuck by in a hope that he would change his violent ways towards, beat her, breaking her nose and jaw, then proceeded to strangle her til she passed out and then gouged her eyeballs out of her head...

So in the off chance that anybody clicks into this thread that suffers from any kind of domestic violence, maybe they should read this story and take this womens advice...

In an interview with the BBC, Ms Nash said she thought she could change Jenkin but warned other victims of domestic violence to get out "before it is too late - it's not going to get better, it's going to get worse".

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

I saw this earlier. It's a horrible story alright. To have your sight taken from you and at such a young age, by someone who you once loved and trusted - it must be an indescribable pain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

How awful - I can't imagine never seeing my children again :(

I hope that piece of scum gets the sentence he deserves...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Powerfully-built Jenkin, of Sea Lane, Hayle, Cornwall, was originally charged with attempted murder but court staff confirmed he had admitted GBH at the court today.

So just that he admits causing GBH means that he cannot be tried for attempted murder? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

What kind of horrible **** would do that to someone.:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Lima Golf

Oprah winfrey once did an episode on domestic violence. She interviewed a woman who had been shot in the face at point blank range by her boyfriend. It's a miracle she lived. I'm sure if you YouTube it you'll find it. Shocking story

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

I really really don't understand how anyone stays involved in a violent relationship. People who stay out of fear is one thing, but to stay in the hope of changing the person seems crazy to me. I am in no way saying what happened was her fault before someone takes me up wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

No punishment is enough for this guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

mackg wrote: »
    I really really don't understand how anyone stays involved in a violent relationship. People who stay out of fear is one thing, but to stay in the hope of changing the person seems crazy to me. I am in no way saying what happened was her fault before someone takes me up wrong.
    The victim is so broken they feel dependent on their abuser.

Dudess wrote: »

Also, more often than not, their self esteem has been totally destroyed enough to believe they'll never find anyone else who will want them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭branbee

i know she wasnt strong enough to leave him before this happened but my god is she showing her strength now. don't know how i could cope with that. really puts things into perspective.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

So just that he admits causing GBH means that he cannot be tried for attempted murder? :confused:

Well if he pleads to something the prosecution might see that as being a good thing as a case for attempted murder might fall apart.

The injuries and suffering he inflicted on the poor woman were horrific, I hope the judge slaps him with the harshest possible sentence.

What a worthless human being.

Dudess wrote: »
    Also, more often than not, their self esteem has been totally destroyed enough to believe they'll never find anyone else who will want them.

Causing that as well the physical damage is pretty sickening. Google says max sentence for GBH with intent is life in the UK. Since Ian Huntley received a minimum 40 for murdering two little kids what do ye reckon this is worth? Minimum 30? Less?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

jesus h fook me :eek:

the mind boggles sometimes :confused:

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

Bloody hell the eye gouging is a bit much no? Best lock that psycho up for a long long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Causing that as well the physical damage is pretty sickening. Google says max sentence for GBH with intent is life in the UK. Since Ian Huntley received a minimum 40 for murdering two little kids what do ye reckon this is worth? Minimum 30? Less?

The guy also kept her there for 12 hours and wouldn't let her get help. Gouged her eyes out, broken her jaw, broke her nose...and kept her in that pain for 12 ****ing hours.

The wishing for street justice tends to get rolled out on AH a lot but I find myself thinking that 5 minutes and a sledge hammer could see a fitting sentence dished out to the guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

Well, I believe that the police do not think he was actually trying to kill her, so he won't be tried for attempted murder if that indeed is the case.

This is from the article linked above:

Detective Inspector Chris Strickland, of Devon and Cornwall Police, said
    "Our view is that Jenkin deliberately strangled Tina into a state of unconsciousness in order that he could inflict these terrible injuries,"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Babybuff

I don't actually want to read the link, I understand why women stay in these relationships I just don't understand why any man or woman would continue to stay in a relationship with someone they have knowingly hurt.

The guy also kept her there for 12 hours and wouldn't let her get help. Gouged her eyes out, broken her jaw, broke her nose...and kept her in that pain for 12 ****ing hours.

Fukcing hell.

After that, I think I'd welcome death.

The wishing for street justice tends to get rolled out on AH a lot but I find myself thinking that 5 minutes and a sledge hammer could see a fitting sentence dished out to the guy.

As much as I oppose street justice and the death penalty I am strongly in favour of Life meaning until they're dead prison sentences. If he does get out I imagine her sons will be wanting a word with him anyway.
    Babybuff wrote: »
    I don't actually want to read the link, I understand why women stay in these relationships I just don't understand why any man or woman would continue to stay in a relationship with someone they have knowingly hurt.

There is nothing too bad in the link that isn't in the OP, most of the story is about her and the help she has received from the local community and a word from the local police.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Well, I believe that the police do not think he was actually trying to kill her, so he won't be tried for attempted murder if that indeed is the case.

This is from the article linked above:

Detective Inspector Chris Strickland, of Devon and Cornwall Police, said

I dunno. He pulled her freaking eyes out. There's every chance that could have killed her. And she could easily have died from the strangulation alone. If I was prosecuting him I'd be looking for an attempted murder charge. Sure it could fall apart in court but he would still have been found guilty of the lesser charge of GBH. He wouldn't be walking free in any case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

In this case I'd be in favour of an eye for an eye, and a broken jaw and a busted nose, followed by a lifetime in prison with rapists he wont see coming! :mad:

I dunno. He pulled her freaking eyes out. There's every chance that could have killed her. And she could easily have died from the strangulation alone. If I was prosecuting him I'd be looking for an attempted murder charge. Sure it could fall apart in court but he would still have been found guilty of the lesser charge of GBH. He wouldn't be walking free in any case.

Since the maximum sentence for both is life I think the prosecution are relying on the horrible nature of the crime to sway the judge towards a harsh sentence even in light of a guilty plea, just because he admitted to it given the nature of the crime I don't see why it should lead to a reduced sentence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭nicechick!

That story is all to common & tragic

I work in Retail I happened see a car park very aggressive so up in the pile of tire smoke this guy gets out of the car the passenger (female) had her window down they were having a dispute of some kind! He punches her full force in the face I swear he must have broken her jaw it was horrific - I will always wonder if she ever got away from that situation

Men are also victims to domestic abuse often unreported

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Notorious97

Jesus where do you even start! People who can act like this definitely deserve to have their freedom taken away until the day they die, scum like this can never be reformed, if they are capable of this they will definitely reoffend!

He deserves a really cruel painful punishment, the thoughts someone could inflict such pain onto someone who foolishly loves you is disgusting, actually to do this to anyone is disgusting.

Ideally he should be beaten to within an inch of his life, let recover, beaten again and so on! Hopefully hes just locked up anyway and let rot until he eventually dies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

nicechick! wrote: »
    That story is all to common & tragic

I work in Retail I happened see a car park very aggressive so up in the pile of tire smoke this guy gets out of the car the passenger (female) had her window down they were having a dispute of some kind! He punches her full force in the face I swear he must have broken her jaw it was horrific - I will always wonder if she ever got away from that situation

And yet if there was a good Samaritan/gentleman in the car park who tried to step in and help her then both of them would turn on him

Leave ma fella alone

Don't quite understand it myself

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Evie90

mikemac1 wrote: »
    And yet if there was a good Samaritan/gentleman in the car park who tried to step in and help her then both of them would turn on him

Leave ma fella alone

I would think that women/men that are being abused are so dependent on their abuser that they don't want to lose them, a lot of the time the abuser would have cut them off from their family and friends they could even me totally financially dependent on their abuser and if some good samaritin suddenly decides to step in I imagine that someone that is being abused would be under the impression that they'll lose everything If their abuser get into trouble also I'm sure someone who's being abused would be fearful of the repercussions of the abuser getting into trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

How horrific. I hope the 'thing' that did this to her gets his just rewards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

davet82 wrote: »
    I usually go for the light hearted stuff but i came across the following article and it just sort of got to me...

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/mum-who-had-her-eyes-gouged-out-794063

So in the off chance that anybody clicks into this thread that suffers from any kind of domestic violence, maybe they should read this story and take this womens advice...

In an interview with the BBC, Ms Nash said she thought she could change Jenkin but warned other victims of domestic violence to get out "before it is too late - it's not going to get better, it's going to get worse".

If only it was that easy, people caught up in such relationships often hang in there at all costs. Working with women in an active abusive relationship is harder for me personally than working with sex offenders, [I metion offenders as most people think "I could never work with people like that"]. Listening to women report the abuse week after week forin some cases years, can be very difficult.

Especially as I'm there just to listen not to try solve the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

mikemac1 wrote: »

Leave ma fella alone

That's his control over her - anything for his approval.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,328 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Since the maximum sentence for both is life I think the prosecution are relying on the horrible nature of the crime to sway the judge towards a harsh sentence even in light of a guilty plea, just because he admitted to it given the nature of the crime I don't see why it should lead to a reduced sentence.

Plus having him plead guilty means no court case, it's straight to sentencing. If they wanted to try him for attempted murder the case would drag on and on and on and possibly all for nothing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

She said she thought she could change him. But that people can't.

A lesson to all women keeping faith in violent scumbags. Get out and stay out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

I can't wrap my head around this, he stuck his fingers into one of the eyes of a woman he at least had feelings for plucked out her eye, then pulled it, to disconnect the optic nerve from the brain, then he did the same to her other eye.

This is a case of domestic violence, but more a case of psychotic violence.

Advertisement