Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finishing a masters course

Options
  • 13-04-2012 6:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Hi all,

I'm currently doing a Masters in NUIG and I'm findin the work load unbearable. I was wondering if anyone knows if it's possible not to do the required dissertation/thesis and perhaps get a PG dip instead? It's not the same qualification but Im just weighing up my options! Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭coolperson05

As far as I know it depends on the course. Most taught masters programmes let you do it, but you'd have to check with your course leader.

Some programmes don't let you go back and do the dissertation to 'upgrade' the PGDip to a masters so think carefully!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

mdbatches wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm currently doing a Masters in NUIG and I'm findin the work load unbearable. I was wondering if anyone knows if it's possible not to do the required dissertation/thesis and perhaps get a PG dip instead? It's not the same qualification but Im just weighing up my options! Thanks

I cannot answer your question directly about downgrading the qualification - that's be a matter for the college - but it might be possible to get some latitude on the deadline for the dissertation if you enquired about it and made a decent argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭LilyPool

Hi,

If you pass the taught component of the MA but fail the dissertation, do you get the PG diploma or do you just fail your masters entirely?

I'm presuming it's the former but I haven't found anything concrete about it.

Advertisement