Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a cheap Kindle online.

Options
  • 13-04-2012 6:23pm
    Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭

I've heard that Kindles are about $80 over in that states, but they start at about €100 here! :eek: Is there a way to buy one online at US prices that is going to actually arrive at my door should I buy one online? I'd love to hear peoples experiences on this.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

If you want to buy online then you have to use Amazon.com, ergo the US price but also the shipping and possible import duty & vat. Price starts at $109 NOT including P&P/duty/vat...

Or you could just go to Currys/PC World, prices start from €109.

I don't know what the '':eek:'' face is for, €100 for a kindle is about the best value for money I can think of.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭OakeyDokey

I'd be wary about getting a Kindle online from anywhere bar Amazon. You'll save a few euros buying from Tesco/Curry's depending on which Kindle you get.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Amazon's after sale service is awesome.

They replace my broken (by me) kindle no questions asked within a few days. They just love their customers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

The $80 price tag is just for the one with ads.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

I don't know what the '':eek:'' face is for

I thought it was fairly obvious. A friend of mine bought a kindle in a store in the states for half the price I would pay if I walked into Tescos right now. That any clearer? ;)

• Advertisement

Andy!! wrote: »
    I thought it was fairly obvious. A friend of mine bought a kindle in a store in the states for half the price I would pay if I walked into Tescos right now. That any clearer? ;)

So all you have to do book a flight to America then.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

Hopefully there won't be as many ignorant people there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭OakeyDokey

Andy!! wrote: »
    Hopefully there won't be as many ignorant people there.

If you're not going to listen to the advice people are giving you then what do you expect! Wait until someone else is heading to the states and get one then.

Ignorant how?

Some things are cheaper in other countries than they are here, this is not a new development.

Your friend may have paid less than you would here, but your friend had to get there first. And if you're comparing like for like products, then your friend paid about €20 less than you would here, based on the basic wi-fi model at €109/$109.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

I'm not sure how the 20 euro difference is paying half the amount..... My kindle cost 130 when I got it. Would happily spend that amount on it, t'is bloody fantastic. :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

If you want to buy online then you have to use Amazon.com, ergo the US price but also the shipping and possible import duty & vat. Price starts at $109 NOT including P&P/duty/vat... ....
    If you have an an account on amazon.com with an irish address / credit-card, you can't order a Kindle.

If they recognise you at login now, they offer a re-direct to amazon.co.uk. I've tried to buy Microsoft Office 2011 Mac (3 users for small money) as a download and they wouldn't sell to me either. bummer

mathepac wrote: »
    If you have an an account on amazon.com with an irish address / credit-card, you can't order a Kindle.

Yes you can, it's the .co.uk site that you can't order a Kindle from, unless you have a UK address.

Advertisement