Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have I wrecked my OS?

Options
  • 13-04-2012 7:40pm

Couldnt think of an approriate title for the thread that was short enough:D
    Anyway, heres what happened/what i did

Hard drive 1: Windows XP & Ubuntu
    Hard drive 2: Windows Vista (installed a few months ago because Win7 isint compaitible)

i wanted to format Hard Drive 1 to free up space
    I wasnt able to format Hard Drive 1 in Win Vista or through the BIOS, so I tried deleting the partition through the Vista installation disc.

Deleted the partition with windows xp along with the HP Recovery Partition.
    Tried booting up and got something along the lines of hard drive error.
    I then unplugged Hard Drive 1 from the mobo and tried to boot up. This time I got L 99 99 99 99 ..... (and so on)

Then (about 5mins ago), I booted up with the Windows Vista Installation Disc and went in to repair your computer and in 'System Recovery Options', Windows Vista, my OS, was not listed. Underneath where my OS shuld appear is If you don't see your operating system listed, click to load drivers for your hard disks. (Remember, Hard drive 1 i still unplugged and Hard Drive 2 is still plugged in; which I did not format; and Win Vista is still on it)
    Hard Drive 2 is a Western Digital Caviar WD1600YD (160GB)

So my question, How can I get back to Windows Vista? How badly have I fu€ked up my pc?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

The "9999999999999999999999" error is from LILO bootloader.
    Best to book of a Linux recovery CD and reinstall either LILO or GRUB.

The "9999999999999999999999" error is from LILO bootloader.
    Best to book of a Linux recovery CD and reinstall either LILO or GRUB.

Recovery CD? Do you have a download link?

After a few hours of messing around with a GRUB disc and the Vista installation disc recovery options, I finally got my os back.

However, when I replug hard drive 1 back in, when I boot up, all I get is a blank black screen with just a _

When HD 1 is plugged back out, win vista boots up fine.

How do I fix this? GRUB cd again?

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭duffman85

check in the BIOS that the drive with vista is first in the boot sequence the computer may be trying to boot from HD 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 CapBean

If you can't alter the Bios boot sequence, try swapping the sata cables so that the Vista drive is plugged into Sata 1 and the other disk is plugged into Sata 2. Some motherboards will check the Sata connectors in sequence e.g. Sata 1, Sata 2, Sata 3 etc. I know it’s better to just switch the Bios boot sequence but this doesn't always work.
    I assume you were using a boot loader to choose which OS you booted into. This boot loader is normally held on the first boot disk HD1. When you formatted this drive you removed the boot loader and that's what borked your OS's.

Just reread you query; you mentioned you removed the partition because you couldn't format it.
    Did you reinstate the partition afterwards?
    Did you then reformat the drive to Fat 32 or NTFS?
    Once changed to NTFS you can't change it back to FAT32 or the Ubunto equivalent without a new partition delete and reformat, so bear this in mind.
    In the Help and support section of the start menu type NTFS for the relevant info.
    Did you get it working?

• Advertisement

CapBean wrote: »
    If you can't alter the Bios boot sequence, try swapping the sata cables so that the Vista drive is plugged into Sata 1 and the other disk is plugged into Sata 2. Some motherboards will check the Sata connectors in sequence e.g. Sata 1, Sata 2, Sata 3 etc. I know it’s better to just switch the Bios boot sequence but this doesn't always work.
    I assume you were using a boot loader to choose which OS you booted into. This boot loader is normally held on the first boot disk HD1. When you formatted this drive you removed the boot loader and that's what borked your OS's.

Just reread you query; you mentioned you removed the partition because you couldn't format it.
    Did you reinstate the partition afterwards?
    Did you then reformat the drive to Fat 32 or NTFS?
    Once changed to NTFS you can't change it back to FAT32 or the Ubunto equivalent without a new partition delete and reformat, so bear this in mind.
    In the Help and support section of the start menu type NTFS for the relevant info.
    Did you get it working?

Swapped the two sata cables around. booted up fine then.
    Sorry for the confusion: I deleted the partitions.
    I formatted the hard drive a moment ago. Vista recognizes it

Thanks for the help everyone

Advertisement