Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Urgently need boarding kennel recommendations - East Galway

• 13-04-2012 7:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭

The kennels I normally use for 1 of my dogs (the other goes to elderly relatives would aren't able for the 2 of them) are fully booked, she recommended someone else but when I phoned the lady said I wouldn't be able to pick the dog up on the Sunday (it's just for 1 night, Saturday 21st) as they were closed on Sundays. I understand it's a business and everyone needs a day off but I explained she is a rescue dog who was in kennels for a long time and gets really stressed but she said they were closed and that's that.

The lady I normally leave her with (well, once or twice a year tops) works with the rescue I got her from and knows her history and gives her extra tlc so it's only place I feel slightly less worried bringing her.

Does anyone have any recommendations, preferably round Athenry, Loughrea, Craughwell areas, we are driving from Athenry to Wexford next Sat morning so would leave her in next Sat morn and pick her up next Sunday early evening. At this stage I'm thinking about bringing her with us, we are staying with family who aren't terribly dog friendly but I would book into a b&b that was dog friendly if we had to. Just don't know what to do at this stage, I would cancel the whole thing if I didn't really want to see my family over from the UK on this particular weekend.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭HemlockOption

Please if you can at all - bring your dog with you.

Rescue dogs especially - they've been through such a lot.

Sorry - but we put our dog into a kennels once for a couple of days and he was utterly distressed. I still feel guilty.

If only there was some way to explain to them that you will be back to collect them. But that's not possible......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Please if you can at all - bring your dog with you.

Rescue dogs especially - they've been through such a lot.

Sorry - but we put our dog into a kennels once for a couple of days and he was utterly distressed. I still feel guilty.

If only there was some way to explain to them that you will be back to collect them. But that's not possible......

Nooooo!! Please don't make me feel more guilty than I already do!!
    To be honest my two options at this stage are 1. my original lady having a cancellation or 2. taking her with us. Just about to email my cousin now to see if this is actually feasible.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭HemlockOption

Sorry - didn't mean to add to your grief. Hope it works out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

I'm not much help as I don't use kennels, I'm lucky enough to be able to leave them with friends or family but here's a thread of kennel recommendations from a few months ago

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=72439522

Don't feel guilty Tranceypoo, you're only going for one night to see family that are from overseas. If you're really stuck, PM me, I'm in Galway city but if you need a home away from home for her for just one night I cantry help you out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

TP if you're stuck I can take her, am in Loughrea. Do you crate her at night?

• Advertisement

Magentas & Tillygirl - thanks so much for your offers, it's so kind of you both, Galway city would kind of be kind of out of our way but the older dog is going to Kilrickle to the relatives so Tillygirl if you're serious I may take you up on your offer! I don't crate her at night anymore but I do have a crate for her which I would bring.

I emailed the B&B in Wexford and the lady said that because they are fully booked they can't accomodate her in our room but she will 'find me a kennel', not sure if she means a kennel outside the b&b or a boarding kennels in the area so will have to clarify that.

Thanks again so much and TG I'll let you know!
    TP

Ya no problem sure one more wont make any difference! We might meet one of the evenings for a walk make sure they get on ok? Even if they dont its not a massive deal for one night.

Did you get sorted TP?

TillyGirl wrote: »
    Did you get sorted TP?

PM'ed you!!

Advertisement