Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Planning permission to build shed?

• 13-04-2012 8:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

were having a shed built in our garden it will be 8ftx24ft.

Its basicly all the way accross our garden from left to right. it will be 8ft in height.

Im living in a housing estate in a semi detached house, ive been told i dont need planning permission, can anybody (shed) any light on this thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭tom traubert

Check link below. Also, I'd check to make sure that the leaflet is up to date. From my own experience I'd say that having the neighbours on side is almost as important as complying with current regs. Having good neighbours is getting more and more important these days.

http://www.environ.ie/en/Publications/DevelopmentandHousing/Planning/FileDownLoad,1586,en.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Hi all,

were having a shed built in our garden it will be 8ftx24ft.

Its basicly all the way accross our garden from left to right. it will be 8ft in height.

Im living in a housing estate in a semi detached house, ive been told i dont need planning permission, can anybody (shed) any light on this thanks!

No you dont need planning permission for a shed as long as its not abnormally intrusive. What is probably key is the height of the shed. Will it be visible from your neoghbours garden? and will it block light to a high extent?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,501 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Hogzy wrote: »
    No you dont need planning permission for a shed as long as its not abnormally intrusive. What is probably key is the height of the shed. Will it be visible from your neoghbours garden? and will it block light to a high extent?

I suspect the planning regulations are a bit more specific than that - who is to say what is 'abnormally' intrusive?

One man's pretty garden shed is another man's abomination!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

Its going to be about 8 foot in height just over 8 foot, from left to right it will be 24 foot. it will still be lower than the apex of my neighbours wooden shed, i reckon thats critical in the whole thing i think its not going to block light or be anyway obtrusive.

Anyway theres only one way to find out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

coylemj wrote: »
    I suspect the planning regulations are a bit more specific than that - who is to say what is 'abnormally' intrusive?

One man's pretty garden shed is another man's abomination!

Id say about 99% of garden sheds out there are not intrusive to an extent that planning permission is required. Unless you can show me otherwise?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

You can build a garage, carport, shed, greenhouse, kennel
    for domestic pets etc., as long as it does not extend out in
    front of the building line of the house and does not exceed 4
    metres in height, (if it has a tiled or slated pitched roof), or 3
    metres (if it has any other roof type). The floor area
    limitation for exempted development is 25 square metres.
    The structure may not be lived in, used for commercial
    purposes or for keeping pigs, poultry, pigeons, ponies or
    horses. Garages, sheds etc. to the side of the house must
    match the finish of the house. You cannot reduce the open
    private space, reserved exclusively for the use of the
    occupants of the house, at the side or rear of the house
    below 25 square metres.

There may also be issues if the house has previously been extended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭ldxo15wus6fpgm

I'm fairly sure what you're using it for is very important too, a local man had to tear down what was essentially a shed made of corrugated iron sheets, like something you'd see in a slum, even though it wasn't very big, because he was using it as a hangar for his helicopter. I must stress it was very small, but he was still ordered to demolish it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

It must have been a very small helicopter.

Advertisement