Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Lawn Advise

Options
  • 13-04-2012 8:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hello

I am a complete novice at gardening.. so I'm seeking some advise. We have a long garden about 100ft long by 10ft... it's fenced in and there are no shrubs. The grass is uneven, mounds of soil here and there and it's full of weeds etc.
    We want to get a new lawn laid, and have priced the roll out turf... happy enough there.

The issue is in the preparation of the soil. I have done a bit of online reading and even read up in the library - we received two quotes from two gardeners to prepare the garden.........this is where I hope ye can all be helpful.

One guy suggests we need up to 10 bags of topsoil
    The other says he can just rotovate and even out and surface it with topsoil.
    Neither are going to kill off the existing grass and weeds. . . which is contrary to everything I have read up on - everyone says kill off the grass and weeds 2-3 weeks prior to rotovating!

So - Opinions please.................

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

To avoid any potential future disappointments, I would suggest you start off with a clean sheet, in which case proceed as follows:
    - spray area (leave for at least 7 days) and spray again if necessary if any weeds are present
    - once you are confident all weeds have been killed off, rotovate groud thoroughly
    - roughly rake area, check for levels, and cut and fill (with additional soil if necessary) to produce an even level/grade
    - lightly roll and apply fertiliser
    - seed area or preferably lay new lawn with roll turf
    - water regularly until new lawn becomes established
    - avoid cutting new lawn < 25mm for at least 12 months, apply general lawn fertiliser monthly (avoid using any weed 'n feed products on grass < 9 months old) and you can look forward to enjoying a vivid lush green lawn
    - do not forget to apply an Autumn Winter lawn feed later in the year

EnufisEnuf wrote: »
    Hello

I am a complete novice at gardening.. so I'm seeking some advise. We have a long garden about 100ft long by 10ft... it's fenced in and there are no shrubs. The grass is uneven, mounds of soil here and there and it's full of weeds etc.
    We want to get a new lawn laid, and have priced the roll out turf... happy enough there.

The issue is in the preparation of the soil. I have done a bit of online reading and even read up in the library - we received two quotes from two gardeners to prepare the garden.........this is where I hope ye can all be helpful.

One guy suggests we need up to 10 bags of topsoil
    The other says he can just rotovate and even out and surface it with topsoil.
    Neither are going to kill off the existing grass and weeds. . . which is contrary to everything I have read up on - everyone says kill off the grass and weeds 2-3 weeks prior to rotovating!

So - Opinions please.................

Advertisement