Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digital Audio Workstation Build

Options
  • 13-04-2012 8:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hey guys, forum Newbie here!

Contemplating a new build which will primarily be used as a DAW but would also like the option to run some games (no need for ultra settings, SLI etc.). So was just looking for some advice!

1. What is your budget? €1200-€1500

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Running audio editing software with a number of cpu intensive VSTi's (Virtual Instruments), some gaming and multimedia

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? No

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? [Hard drive/DVD Drive/Case/PSU/etc.] Fresh start for me I'm afraid!

5. Do you need a monitor? Yes

5a. If yes, what size do you need. Open to suggestions but a 1920x1080 resolution would be nice and the option for dual monitors support would make projects a lot easier. (No need to add a second monitor to budget tho, just planning ahead!)

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? Keyboard, Mouse, Wifi would be handy.

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? Yes

8. How can you pay? BT/Visa Debit

9. When are you purchasing? By the end of the summer hopefully

Connectivity is something I don't want to overlook. USB 3.0 and possibly Thunderbolt (depending on how focused on pro audio they will become) are things I may need and would like to avoid the need to upgrade again once Ivy Bridge hits. I am considering waiting to go with that chipset from the off, if rumors of negligible price difference between current Sandy Bridge counterparts are anything to go by.

Alternative suggestions and feedback is more than welcome!

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

I don't think there's any Thunderbolt capable motherboards yet, the MSI 77a-GD10 will have it whenever it comes out though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 CapricornOneSE

Any Z77 mobo would support future Thunderbolt expansion though, would it not?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 CapricornOneSE

No one?

Advertisement