Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Totally confused.

Options
  • 13-04-2012 8:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

Hi Guys,

Sorry for seeming dumb, I am in a situation that has me anxious and worried.

I am in a relationship with a Canadian Lady for the last three and a half years, she's been very patient ( She lives in Canada, a divorcee), my Mom passed away last year, Aug 13th and I have decided that now is as good a time as any to Go to Canada and get married. I am in a good Job, with no chance of losing my Job but have taken a year leave of absence just as a safety net.

I own my own house and have savings but my position is getting urgent, I have told her that I will travel in June, I have the Ticket bought.

I am trying to get the House into a condition where I can rent it out for a year or so. I own 2 Cars, a little MGF convertible worth 1800 Euros and my Mom's Honda Civic worth about the same, both are in pristine condition and having been in touch with mgf Auto clubs in Canada, they are highly sought after ( The MGF) and sell for way more than I paid, it comes within the 15 year rule so it's ok to import.

Here is my dilemma, If we get married, and I have been hearing conflicting comments/advice on what happens, some say, I have to remain in Canada for 6 Months before I can leave for funerals etc, others say this isn't the case.

Part 2 of the problem is, my Mom's ashes are to be scattered in , wait for it, the Grand Canyon, her request, she adored the place. My sisters (5) wish to do this during the Summer/warmer weather, can we? will I have to wait till next year?

The last thing I need to sort out is, can I , without having residency etc, ie. on the basis of a 6 Month holiday, given that you are allowed travel for 6 Months in Canada, ship two Cars without having to reveal my intentions (prior to getting married) and scupper an early start to a new life?

Sorry if the Post is long or slightly confusing but it only reflects where my Head is at at the moment.

Any constructive comments would be most welcome.

K:confused::confused::confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭whacker1982

ring canadian immigration for a definate answer. no one here can give you that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 buzz123

Thanks for your reply but what makes you think the Forum members can or cannot tell me from their own experience what I could do? No one has replied yet, other than yourself, not because they are thinking... go look for the information yourself but because it is a very new Post, isn't this what the Forum is for? are you telling me that it would be better if posters were redirected via Links rather than help first hand? I am well aware that the Embassy could tell me but if i had wanted to embark on that route don't you think that is what I would have done?! I don't have patience to climb through all the hoops, whys and wherefors that I would have to go through by ringing the Embassy, I posted here because I prefer anectdotal references, while a definite answer may be forthcoming from the Embassy, I prefer to relate to ordinary people.

Regards,

Kevin.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭whacker1982

i know exactly what you are saying, but something similar happened to me regarding a 3 year ban that i wanted to get waivered, i googled and gooled for months thinking of different ways to word it for a different result to come up on the search engine which might help, got brought here yahoo, and many other websites, all with different answers eventually i gave up and rang immigration. which after two minutes i got an answer. save yourself time and worry thinking about it, you should ring them fastest way to take that weight off your shoulders. trust me:)

Ah OK cheers, and thanks.

Kev.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,288 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

buzz123 wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply but what makes you think the Forum members can or cannot tell me from their own experience what I could do? No one has replied yet, other than yourself, not because they are thinking... go look for the information yourself but because it is a very new Post, isn't this what the Forum is for?

Do you seriously think there are many people who will have been through the experience of trying to import two cars from Ireland to Canada, while on a tourist visa???

Contact the relevant authorities and get proper advice, all you can hope for here is perhaps and insightful opinion, if you are very lucky.

• Advertisement

Have I not just conceded that fact? are you unable to glean that from my last reply?

Advertisement