Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lloyd Alexander?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭salysol

MANYCARS wrote: »
    Firstly I owned PZC 587 at one stage and it gave me a lot of fun. It now lives in Bawnboy,Co. Cavan with two other Lloyds.
    Some Lloyd Irish history.Introduced in 1954 by a Mr.Sarre at a price of £347 and 10 shillings in 2 stroke form with 386cc. and assembled in the Coombe in Dublin.(I visited the Plant). Upper body was wood covered with plastic fabric.Only a handful of these early examples were sold. Lloyds seemed to disappear for a while in the mid 1950s.Then around 1959 Mr P.R.Reilly of Howth Road set up Melin Motors to assemble the Lloyd Alexander 4 stroke models and suceeded in selling around 250 between 1959 and 1963.I believe body panels came from Bremen fully painted. I recall, Tony Brooks the Grand Prix driver used one to test out a revised cicuit in Phoenix Park in the early sixties. I wish all who are trying to keep these great little cars on the road well.
    That is a very interesting bit of history,i was talking to the son of a previous dealer in Mayo on friday night,it seems he still has some N O S which hopefully will be of benefit to me in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stained Class

MANYCARS wrote: »
    Firstly I owned PZC 587 at one stage and it gave me a lot of fun. It now lives in Bawnboy,Co. Cavan with two other Lloyds.

Good to know this car survives.:)

At what stage was this car in your ownership? Did you buy it new?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 MANYCARS

I bought it in the early 1970s from the first owner and sold it to a friend shortly afterwards. Subsequently I bought it back again and garaged it for a number of years before again selling it to the guy in the Irish Motorist article - who did some work on it. I then bought it back yet again and used in Classic Car runs and exhibited at the 100 years of the car in the RDS. I then bid it a final goodbye, as it went to a new home in Cavan in the 1990s, where I understand it still resides.My family call it the boomberang car.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭rotorhead

Spotted In Germany 2009

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

That little people carrier is seriously funky looking.

rotorhead wrote: »
    Spotted In Germany 2009
    some great pics,both cars seem to be in pristine condition.
    The biggest problem with these cars is sourcing spares,so if i don't find a source in the next couple of weeks,there's no point in me keeping a car that's never going to be finished,as i have too many projects to have one taking up needed space in the shed.

Spares are out there it's just a matter of scratching the surface, it does look like an interesting project! What spares are you looking for?

kev1.3s wrote: »
    Spares are out there it's just a matter of scratching the surface, it does look like an interesting project! What spares are you looking for?
    Well i will need tail lights /engine gasket kit / seats / exhaust / bumpers /window and door rubber seals / possibly brake slave cylinders / master cylinder /brake shoes,thats just to start with.
    i got vexed when the seller on Ebay Germany wouldn't ship the engine,which got me thinking any seller might prefer to sell an item for these cars in their own country,but i'm probably being biased on that issue
    Your probably right ,scratching the surface is one thing , having to wait an eternity is another thing altogether

You need quite a bit there, I'll try to find the whereabouts of the two I photoed in 2009 for you.

• Advertisement

You need quite a bit there, I'll try to find the whereabouts of the two I photoed in 2009 for you.
    That would be great.

rugbyman wrote: »
    Salysol,

if it is the zy one, I may be interested if you do not buy it.
    there was another for sale in Cork about a year ago, much work needed but intact.
    Regards rugbyman
    Rugbyman, i have located the blue lloyd in the pic if you PM me i will give you his no .

I was trying to track those down for you but you seem to have beaten me to it, are both cars split up now?

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭mattroche

For all you Lloyd Lovers, There is a Alexender for sale in Enniscorthy, Ph. No, 085 889 3389. It is in classic& cars.co.uk. It is not priced. If any of you go to Google.Uk. and Google Lloyd Alexender, Wikipedia have a load of information about this great little car. I hope this is some help.

I was trying to track those down for you but you seem to have beaten me to it, are both cars split up now?
    yes kev they are still together.

mattroche wrote: »
    For all you Lloyd Lovers, There is a Alexender for sale in Enniscorthy, Ph. No, 085 889 3389. It is in classic& cars.co.uk. It is not priced. If any of you go to Google.Uk. and Google Lloyd Alexender, Wikipedia have a load of information about this great little car. I hope this is some help.
    Thats mine,i put that ad up to try and source parts,i have found in the past ,if you put a wanted ad up you get zero replies,but when you advertise a vehicle for sale,people come out of the wood work with spares.
    and it is working,i have located 5 in Ireland 2 in the uk,so far

• Advertisement

salysol wrote: »
    mattroche wrote: »
    Thats mine,i put that ad up to try and source parts,i have found in the past ,if you put a wanted ad up you get zero replies,but when you advertise a vehicle for sale,people come out of the wood work with spares.
    and it is working,i have located 5 in Ireland 2 in the uk,so far
    Starting to scratch the surface then?

Starting to scratch the surface then?
    So it seems Kev, there's a good bit of stuff on ebay germany at the mo but it looks like they could end up way out of my price range,but i am keeping an eye on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

Some pics of the Lloyd minivan I took in the Autostadt Museum in Wolfsburg last year, someone posted pics of a similar one earlier. Note this is an early model, due to a sheet metal shortage after the war the frame is wood and the panels are plywood. The spare wheel is inside the car on the right btw.

GermanyMay2011112.jpg
    GermanyMay2011113.jpg
    GermanyMay2011114.jpg
    GermanyMay2011115.jpg
    GermanyMay2011116.jpg
    GermanyMay2011117.jpg

That is a very nice minivan,what are the chances of coming across 1 of those.
    Thanks for putting the pics up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 bigmark39

If anyone is interested in Lloyd's, DKW's, Trabant's, Wartburg's and all other two stroke cars ever made, there's a cracking new book on the subject below.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/vintagecars/3343396?cid=3343396&&utm_nooverride=1

• Advertisement

bigmark39 wrote: »
    If anyone is interested in Lloyd's, DKW's, Trabant's, Wartburg's and all other two stroke cars ever made, there's a cracking new book on the subject below.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/vintagecars/3343396?cid=3343396&&utm_nooverride=1
    Yes I saw that on DD no use to me mines a4 stroke, the first of the lloyds were 2strokes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Old thread lock

When you bring back a thread from 2012 then it will contain broken images and possibly stale content from users that have left.
    Feel free to start a fresh thread if you like with your comments.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement