Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

After Shave? WTF is that all about!?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

AFAIK the practice of wearing Eau De Toilette was popularised by French naval officers in the med back in the days when they had galley slaves chained to the oar.

And there wasn't much use putting your hand up and asking 'An bhfuil cad agam dul amach go dti an leithreas maith se de thoil é?' what with the chains and all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

If it wasn't for Issey Miyake I'd still be a virgin

What was he like? Hope he eased himself in slowly since it was your first time

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭marty1985

AFAIK the practice of wearing Eau De Toilette was popularised by French naval officers in the med back in the days when they had galley slaves chained to the oar.

And there wasn't much use putting your hand up and asking 'An bhfuil cad agam dul amach go dti an leithreas maith se de thoil é?' what with the chains and all.

True. And the language barrier etc etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 705 ✭✭✭keepkeyyellow

After shave? Really? Have you only started recently using deodorant or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Highway SixtyOne

Calvin Klein "One" makes me feel like a sexual tyrannosaurus to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭MadameGascar

Real men wear 4711.;)

Real men wear Old Spice. :pac: Good for any occasion, apply liberally and you will rake them in for sure. Drink a bottle of listerine to top it off OP, you don't want to spoil any effort you might decide to make!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭The_Thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Fair play to the Old Spice marketing department for making what is basically perfume for men seem really masculine and tough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

It became strange to me when aftershave became cologne then that cologne became perfume. There are even brands that are unisex. The metrosexual man. It coincided with a cultural change, the earlier aftershaves and colognes were sold with macho advertising. The new perfumes/colognes seem to be sold with softer images and almost gay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

one million-paco rabanne.strangers have asked me what it is (prob wearing too much!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

df1985 wrote: »
    one million-paco rabanne.strangers have asked me what it is (prob wearing too much!)

probably so they don't accidentally buy the same one :pac:

I, as a female, like a man to smell nice, but if it's too strong it'd be very off-putting. and i don't know why, but someone who spends a lot on a 'smell' would seem odd to me. and someone who owns more than one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Jesus wept. LOL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

Aidric wrote: »
    Jesus wept. LOL.

What does sir LOL at?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

What does sir LOL at?

The fact that this is even up for discussion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,309 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

A bit of After Shave is alright as long as it's not too strong or knocking. I notice the more expensive the more knocking. I use Adidas, Insignia or Gilette. They're fine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Nyan Cat

Lmao - I'm reading this on my phone and at the bottom of this page there's an ad for Vaseline deodorant.

I know a lad that must wear half a bottle... You always know when he's meeting the lads for a session later. He smells like a slut. Seriously it's a nice scent but one shouldn't shower in it. It's not just women that fall foul to the OD scent!

It's definitely better than eau de sweat if the guy is prone to sweat.

Zara have some nice ones... And Hugo boss (I think it's just the Hugo one) and you can't go wrong with lynx unless you use it as opposed to a shower

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭senorwipesalot

HAI-Karate or GTOF

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

EMF2010 wrote: »
    Aftershave, or more accurately cologne

Nope, they're different things

Also, different scents can smell completely different on different people so recommending a certain scent to someone can be useless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

df1985 wrote: »

probably so they don't accidentally buy the same one :pac:

I, as a female, like a man to smell nice, but if it's too strong it'd be very off-putting. and i don't know why, but someone who spends a lot on a 'smell' would seem odd to me. and someone who owns more than one.

Definitely not that. Paco Rabanne smells amazing. It smells so good that I imagine people use too much of it and then it smells like hairspray. A subtle amount does the trick. Just enough where people feel the need to get closer just to smell it. I tend to spray cologne on my hair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

It's nice to smell nice, that's all.

Also, for guys "on the pull," as it were, it's beneficial as many women like the scent of certain colognes.

Like Blue Stratos.

Awh, my Dad used to wear that but I think they stopped making it. Got him into Chanel Allure Sport.
    I've been seeing this doctor lately (professionally!) and the smell off the man is INCREDIBLE. He's not drowned with Lynx, he's just wearing a bit of aftershave, and whatever it is it turns him from someone you mightn't look twice at to a man I would like to lick from head to foot. It's there, whenever he comes within two foot of me, and to be honest it gives me bad thoughts.

I love the smell of a clean man, but this is even better.*

* And no, I don't know what brand it is.

Oh I know that feeling. SOmetimes a lad on the bus could smell amazing and you literally are like "take me now!". :o
    Dean09 wrote: »
    Ya can't beat "Abercrombie & Fitch, Fierce"
    I stock up on it when I go to America. Turns girls into a puddle within seconds. :cool:

Yes, this is true. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

There is a theory behind how the sense of smell is associated with erousal too -- whereby, for example, their could be an aftershave or the likes, that can really induce the hormones in a woman (all dependent on the woman!)

Aswell as that then, if you are wearing a certain aftershave, and can really pleasure the person - if you wear it again, they will (without thinking) link the smell, back to the sense of arousal that they had been induced to before, basically making them want you.

Also, it smells nice, after all -- who wants to go about smelling like they were just blasted with piss for an hour!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

I always use an after shave lotion with little or no alcohol, because alcohol dries your face out and makes you look older. Then moisturizer, then an anti-aging eye balm followed by a final moisturizing protective lotion.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Trash Ninja

I put my aftershave on in the morning, so it's generally without alcohol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,549 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I always use an after shave lotion..... because.... makes you look older....
    Handy when your fake ID is not up to much.

The rest of your post just says metrosexual, tbh :D

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Trash Ninja

I went Metro sexual once. The nice lady that was handing them out was most disturbed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭Patri

Well studies have shown that when it comes to your lady friends 60% of the time it works every time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

It closes pours and cleans out bacteria and stops that horrid red tight feeling you get if you have sensitive skin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Susie_Q

Anything by Hugo Boss will immdiately make me take notice. That is a seriously sexy smell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Pandora2

forfuxsake wrote: »
    Johnson's baby soap, followed by Johnson's baby powder leaves the ladies needing buckets between their legs to catch the downpour from it's soaked snatch.

Whilst these aromas have their place, Mother of two speaking here, they would not evoke 'sexual' feelings in any woman, apart from perhaps Rosemary West imho....

Now a good quality cologne/after shave maybe of the citrus variety....that could get my attention and frequently does ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭forfuxsake

Pandora2 wrote: »
    Whilst these aromas have their place, Mother of two speaking here, they would not evoke 'sexual' feelings in any woman, apart from perhaps Rosemary West imho....

Now a good quality cologne/after shave maybe of the citrus variety....that could get my attention and frequently does ;)

Sorry, my bad, I should have said, it doesn't work on those familiar with the reality of having children.:eek:

• Advertisement

No offence taken, I buy Baby Powder candles for the house, fabulous smell but, the OH is a completely different matter ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭forfuxsake

Pandora2 wrote: »
    No offence taken, I buy Baby Powder candles for the house, fabulous smell but, the OH is a completely different matter ;)
    that could get my attention and frequently does
    Does he know about your affection for men what smells like lemons?:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭mongdesade

Eau natural, eau d homme...I likes my man smell, none of that perfumed ****e for me, thank you very much !
    Shower twice a day & maintain a grooming regime...simples !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Brut.

/that is all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

HAI-Karate or GTOF

never heard of the second one.
    Esel wrote: »
    Handy when your fake ID is not up to much.

The rest of your post just says metrosexual, tbh :D

It's a quote from American Psycho if I'm not mistaken.

The point of edt is that it smells nice in small amounts, the amount of deodorant you need to get the same effect is not good and I'd prefer to use a good quality antiperspirant with a nice edt for what I find are optimum results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Susie_Q wrote: »
    Anything by Hugo Boss will immdiately make me take notice. That is a seriously sexy smell.

Exactly, as the lady in my life says "the guy that smells great always gets a second look".:)

forfuxsake wrote: »
    Does he know about your affection for men what smells like lemons?:o

Yeah he does.......lucky guy that he is;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

Some aftershaves are nice but not when they put half the bottle on:eek: I like the natural smell of some men;)
    And someone said Joop you can't be serious that stuff is so awful :O:O

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

The right aftershave on the right man - gorgeous.

Everytime you smell it you will remember him, although that's not always a good thing :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭Yeah Yeah Yeah

ziggy23 wrote: »
    Some aftershaves are nice but not when they put half the bottle on:eek: I like the natural smell of some men;)
    And someone said Joop you can't be serious that stuff is so awful :O:O

I thought that too all right Ziggy..

To be fair to Joop lovers, I guess it's all about experience/consciousness and association of smell sense...

And me, well its making me think, the first fragrance that made me turn my head was "In Love"..prb a cheap and cheerful wee fragance, way back then...but I'll never forget it, priceless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

There's a lad in work, and I could swear he douses himself in Raid Flyspray every morning. If he's been in a meeting room, the stink of him stays there for about 2 hours. Unfortunately we don't have any windows that open, so we're stuck in there with the godforsaken stench. I dunno what personal smells he's actually masking, but jaysus they can't be any worse than Eau de Raid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Missmiddleton

A good scent is really attractive. I've been known to say I'd shift a pikey if he smelt like Bleu De Chanel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,549 ✭✭✭✭Esel

^ Howya Boss!

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Don't shave that often so no aftershave. It's a bit freaky actually wearing the stuff...why would you need to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,283 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Red Hand wrote: »
    Don't shave that often so no aftershave. It's a bit freaky actually wearing the stuff...why would you need to?

Have you read the f*cking thread?? Multiple women have said it instantly makes men more attractive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

What do you use if you don't shave?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

What do you use if you don't shave?

Air freshener.

I believe Pine Fresh by Glade makes women go weak at the knees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 365 ✭✭wardy2

shave you're balls and use aftershave
    stings like hell :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

Air freshener.

I believe Pine Fresh by Glade makes women go weak at the knees.

Do you think the essence of wood about my person will be a game-changer in my sadly romanceless life?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Do you think the essence of wood about my person will be a game-changer in my sadly romanceless life?

Women are naturally drawn to it, it's evolution.

Rooster musk also works. Some people say the musk of a black rooster is more effective, but it's just a myth.

• Advertisement
Advertisement