Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

whats next after buy-to-let investments?

Options
  • 13-04-2012 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭

seems like everybody was investing their money in buy-to-let property during the boom.
    are there any similiar investment opportunities these days with good ROI?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

nino1 wrote: »
    seems like everybody was investing their money in buy-to-let property during the boom.
    are there any similiar investment opportunities these days with good ROI?

similar as in disasterous ?

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭nino1

its wasn't disastrous for many who brought and sold for a profit.

it was disastrous for those who brought and pointlessly held onto a property indefinately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

nino1 wrote: »
    its wasn't disastrous for many who brought and sold for a profit.

it was disastrous for those who brought and pointlessly held onto a property indefinately.

But the very name 'buy-to-let' would seem to suggest that the idea is to let them, whereby the rental income covers the mortgage and you walk with a profit. Flipping them is a different thing entirely and wouldn't have yielded as much of a profit during the boom as letting them. In saying that the risk factor of flipping was significantly less than BTL.

You can BTL now and get gross yields of up to 12%. However no bank seems to lend for this purpose anymore so you'll have to have cash ready. Even at that the government is set on reducing tax reliefs and is bringing in property taxes of €1k-2k per year. In some places that is more than a months rent they are dipping you for. Not to forget the management fee in apartments. And maintenance.

I wouldn't be going near property as an investment anytime soon but each to their own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 BrainJane

I'm thinking of buying an apartment but the deeds say the lease is for 160 years. 20 years of that have expired already. This might be an obvious question, but is 140 years quite short?? Granted I'll be long gone then and so will my children but does anyone have any idea on whether such leases are common and if they are typically extended when it came to it or not? Or would the ownership of the apartment revert to the mgt company and the value of the property eventually end up worthless (and dwindle in value from now on for this reason)?

All advise appreciated!

Advertisement