Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

security for double glazed windows

• 13-04-2012 9:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭

I have pvc d/glazed windows and am quite happy with them even though they are about 20 yrs old. I am looking for some way to make them more secure as they are externally fitted. Has anyone a simple or cost effective solution to this as although the windows are alarmed apparently it is possible to gain entry by removing the glass unit.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

where are u based

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭horse7

In d15,have you got a solution?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Externally glazed windows normally use a security gasket, which is about as much as can be done.
    Security gasket essentially acts like double sided tape - i.e the rubber sticks to the profile, and the glass sticks to the rubber, and while it is easier to gain access than in aninternally glazed system, this gasket is a major help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 336 ✭✭CBYR1983

A security beam may be way forward. If they really want to get in they probably will. The magnet sensors on the window openings aren't enough. A pir and a shock sensor on the frame would at least set the alarm off.

Perhaps try the Home security forum.

Ive got shock sensors on the frames,but would removing the glass unit set off a sensor?

• Advertisement

Ive come up with this from the uk,but seems a bit pricy. http://www.nogosecurity.co.uk/caseHistory2.asp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 589 ✭✭✭danjo

If I were thinking of those locks I would look at the possibility of using simple brackets (similar shape) glued to the glass with something like araldite and bent out over the frame.

I also recall somebody, on here, suggesting a bead of silicone all around the inside of the glass where it meets the frame. Apparently it would make it very difficult to remove the glass from the outside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 336 ✭✭CBYR1983

horse7 wrote: »
    Ive got shock sensors on the frames,but would removing the glass unit set off a sensor?

The externally glazed frames I have, the glass units are inserted, then the external beads, then rubber seals from the inside. The shaping of the bead makes it difficult to get out without the rubber seal on the inside having been first removed. But I'm told a swift bang of a wood chisel can do it. I would expect a sensor would pick up that type of knock. Depends on sensitivity setting I suppose.

Advertisement