Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I found an iPhone

• 13-04-2012 9:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭

I was walking out of a club a few weeks ago and i found a iphone 4s. I kept it charged and the next day when someone rang i explained that i had found it and i would return it if they gave me their details, this happened 3 times with 3 different callers and each time the person just hung up on me (great friends they are)

After a few hours the phone was blocked so i brought it up to the O2 shop to see if they could contact the owner. That was a complete waste of time, they said without knowing the phone number of the the phone they could not search for the owner, which i thought was bizarre.

Next up i called apple and gave them the IMEI number, they were able to search for the owner and then they sent them an e mail with my contact details, i thought great, thats my good deed done however no one has contacted me about the phone, a few weeks has gone by and im wondering what i should do? How long do i leave it sitting in my drawer and can i ever use it? or is just a expensive paper weight now.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

1210m5g wrote: »
    I was walking out of a club in a few weeks ago and i found a iphone 4s. I kept it charged and the next day when someone rang i explained that i had found it and i would return it if they gave me their details, this happened 3 times with 3 different callers and each time the person just hung up on me (great friends they are)

After a few hours the phone was blocked so i brought it up to the O2 shop to see if they could contact the owner. That was a complete waste of time, they said without knowing the phone number of the the phone they could not search for the owner, which i thought was bizarre.

Next up i called apple and gave them the IMEI number, they were able to search for the owner and then they sent them an e mail with my contact details, i thought great, thats my good deed done however no one has contacted me about the phone, a few weeks has gone by and im wondering what i should do? How long do i leave it sitting in my drawer and can i ever use it? or is just a expensive paper weight now.

Probably a bit late now, but you could drop it in to your local Garda station.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

an iphone.

an iphone.

Does it really matter :D?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

Duffff-Man wrote: »

No, sorry bout that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

I was walking out of a club in a few weeks ago and i found a iphone 4s. I kept it charged and the next day when someone rang i explained that i had found it and i would return it if they gave me their details, this happened 3 times with 3 different callers and each time the person just hung up on me (great friends they are)

Seems like you've done all you can do ... use it as a slightly oversized iPod ! It still works over WiFi, right ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Intensive Care Bear

Probably a bit late now, but you could drop it in to your local Garda station.

I dont live anywhere near the place i found it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

make a video of you smashing it and get enough money from the ad revenue to buy a new one

an iphone.

I am so sorry for that mistake, please accept my sincere apologies.

long_b wrote: »
    Seems like you've done all you can do ... use it as a slightly oversized iPod ! It still works over WiFi, right ?

Im not sure, its locked so i haven't been able to use it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

You should probably bring it to your local Garda station.

Legally speaking, you cannot keep it, however if there's no taker after a year and a day (I think, it could possibly be longer) the Gardai will just give it back to you.

I'm surprised and disappointed that O2 didn't do more. The least they could have done was look up the iPhone's rightful owner based on the IMEI + SIM card. It's not THAT hard!

You might be better off calling 1909 and asking them to contact the owner. AFAIK, O2 Retail's actually a separate company, and outside of the major urban centres, they could possibly be franchisees with little / no contact with the O2 mothership.

• Advertisement

Solair wrote: »
    You should probably bring it to your local Garda station.

Legally speaking, you cannot keep it, however if there's no taker after a year and a day (I think, it could possibly be longer) the Gardai will just give it back to you.

I'm surprised and disappointed that O2 didn't do more. The least they could have done was look up the iPhone's rightful owner based on the IMEI + SIM card. It's not THAT hard!

You might be better off calling 1909 and asking them to contact the owner. AFAIK, O2 Retail's actually a separate company, and outside of the major urban centres, they could possibly be franchisees with little / no contact with the O2 mothership.

I found it in Brixton and i don't live there so thats not an option. I couldn't believe the attitude of the person in the O2 shop so i rang O2 and i got the same answer.

I found it in Brixton and i don't live there so thats not an option. I couldn't believe the attitude of the person in the O2 shop so i rang O2 and i got the same answer.

There's really nothing more you can do so. Sell it on envirofone if you want. You've done more than enough.

The law's similar in the UK. Just bring it into a local Police station.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭andy1249

The original owner probably doesnt care , probably has a replacement by now via insurance or whatever.

You can never use it though , as these things can be tracked when powered on , and the insurance company , phone company or whoever replaced that unit might take it on themselves to press charges under the "Theft by finding" law.

So , its a bit of a hot potato , get rid of it , drop it into the police station , or whatever.

Also, it's probably best to bring it to a police station near where you found it. That's the most likely place that someone who lost it might come looking for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

Solair wrote: »
    Also, it's probably best to bring it to a police station near where you found it. That's the most likely place that someone who lost it might come looking for it.

He cant power it on, its blocked.

As for the police. I left an iPhone 3GS in a pub in Chelteham once, remembered rushed back to get it after 10 minutes - thus missing my train. Saw a guy sitting at my seat, asked him whether he took it. He said no ( and told me to f*ck off) so called the police. They came, he had left. CC footage was indecisive, it was there he sat down, he left and it was gone, but the camera was behind him, and other people were milling about. So it didn't show him taking it, but there was little other option.

Later that day, iPhone was powered on, I got the ( home) address, sent a message, blocked the phone, took the address details and sent to the same cops who turned up and.......nothing since.

Of course this is an easy case, on the other hand police don't care about minor cases, they assume insurance. I don't think anything is going to happen.

But it is blocked anyway, so no signals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

To be fair you've made every effort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

You've said it's locked. Do you mean pin locked or is it imei blocked. If its imei blocked and it's a uk phone it means the phone would be unusable in the uk and northern Ireland. But it is usable anywhere else as there is no cooperation between different countries when it comes to blocking imei's.
    If you decide you have made all efforts to contact the rightful owner and you decide to keep it, then you can find loads of swaps on the Internet. Or you could sell It on eBay.

It will work fine in ROI, you will just need to restore it.

So i would hold onto it for a bit longer and if nothing comes of it you could give it to family or a friend in ROI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭chris2008x

Best suggestion was the smashing it up with a hammer putting it on YouTube. You would make a small fortune with adsense and a lot of enemies on YouTube. Seriously be careful not to show your face or leave personal details on the account whilst doing it because of the death threats you will receive from obsessive iPhone fans. I heard stories of guys getting stabbed in the states for badmouthing iPhone's (seriously it is just a phone)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

I just hope the poor person who lost it is coping well and has people to support him, it's a rough time, I know, I've lost ****ing three of them.

(Not Iphones, never owned one of those, for reason mentioned above, insult to injury and all that)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

chris2008x wrote: »
    Best suggestion was the smashing it up with a hammer putting it on YouTube. You would make a small fortune with adsense and a lot of enemies on YouTube. Seriously be careful not to show your face or leave personal details on the account whilst doing it because of the death threats you will receive from obsessive iPhone fans. I heard stories of guys getting stabbed in the states for badmouthing iPhone's (seriously it is just a phone)

that sound you hear is the sound of nobody laughing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Just wondering if it would work ok for uk roaming with an Irish sim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

Yes, it does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

Mr.S wrote: »
    You've done everything you can do, the owner has most likely gotten it replaced via insurance. He has your details after all because Apple emailed them.

The phone is IMEI blocked in the UK (im guessing its an UK phone since you found it in London) but it will work over here in Ireland fine, all you need to do is restore it via iTunes and stick in a new sim card.

Handing it into a police station will do feck all at this stage, plus your no where near where you found it.

Keep it IMO:)

It isn't his.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

How will it work in Ireland if it's network-locked? IMEI blocking irrelevant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

See if you can get it unlocked by unlock guru

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭.243

hand it in to a garda station,if its not collected by owner or insurance company its then yours,and as its then your legally owned property you apply to get it unlocked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 263 ✭✭Bambii_

It's mine...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭digitaldr

culabula wrote: »
    Yes, it does.

I'd have to agree with you there. What really annoys me though is people using your instead of you're. Here's a good quote from the head of PayPal Ireland:
    The amount of bad spelling mistakes in CVs is embarrassing; at least 20 per cent will have them. Grammar is an issue too . . . If you can’t write a CV, you certainly can’t work for me.

OK I'll admit it - I'm a pedant. :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement