Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I found an iPhone

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

culabula wrote: »
    How will it work in Ireland if it's network-locked? IMEI blocking irrelevant.

If it is IMEI blocked in the UK it should work fine here, there is no EU wide (yet) or Worldwide IMEI blocking service yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Ask O2 who does their phone insurance and ring them. Tell them you tried to give it back to the owner but they refused to take it.
    OK I'll admit it - I'm a pedant.

Language is always evolving. You are only being pedant based on your timeframe of the language. For example the apostraphe isn't English, it was taken from the French in the 16th Century.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

Limericks wrote: »
    If it is IMEI blocked in the UK it should work fine here, there is no EU wide (yet) or Worldwide IMEI blocking service yet.

But I wrote network-locked; almost certainly, that iPhone is locked to one of the big four UK operators.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

But I wrote network-locked; almost certainly, that iPhone is locked to one of the big four UK operators.

Yes, and if reported stolen it is sim and IMEI blocked.

Hobbes wrote: »
    Ask O2 who does their phone insurance and ring them. Tell them you tried to give it back to the owner but they refused to take it.

Language is always evolving. You are only being pedant based on your timeframe of the language. For example the apostraphe isn't English, it was taken from the French in the 16th Century.

I agree; the apostraphe isn't English.

As for the apostrophe, it was borrowed, rather than taken, in imitation of French usage and presumably with good reason.

I find it works :pac:

• Advertisement

Yes, and if reported stolen it is sim and IMEI blocked.

The point is that IMEI-blocking not working in Ireland notwithstanding, the phone will still be unusable since it will be network-locked to a foreign operator.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

Apologies, i misread your post. Yeah that would be a problem unless there is another way around the simlock on the 4s, I haven't kept up with the JB scene since my 3g so I have no idea if it is possible or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭jeckle

Yes, it does.
    Sometimes, concentrating too much on the correct use of the apostrophe can lead to incorrect spelling, grammar & syntax. All things considered it's probably the least of four evils :pac:

1 : In the first place, their very existence is largely and Irish phenomenon...
    2 : Yes, I appreciate what you or saying...
    3 : Am not sure I can get my head round what exactly you're asking but...
    4 : ..the answer given is based on the state of play late afternoon following the...:D

All joking aside, when it comes to posting on an internet forum, once 'text speak' isn't constantly used, & most people can understand what is meant we can all go a bit far as regards the incorrect use/lack of punctuation, spelling, grammar etc. & it's a bit pointless nitpicking for the most part IMO.

My pet peeve is lack of paragraphs though - simply because the lack of them makes longer posts so hard to read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

1210m5g wrote: »
    Solair wrote: »

I'm surprised and disappointed that O2 didn't do more. The least they could have done was look up the iPhone's rightful owner based on the IMEI + SIM card. It's not THAT hard!

You might be better off calling 1909 and asking them to contact the owner. AFAIK, O2 Retail's actually a separate company, and outside of the major urban centres, they could possibly be franchisees with little / no contact with the O2 mothership.

I found it in Brixton and i don't live there so thats not an option. I couldn't believe the attitude of the person in the O2 shop so i rang O2 and i got the same answer.
    I assume you mean Brixton, UK, in which case going into an O2 shop in Ireland they wouldn't have had access to that information. If it had been an Irish phone then they could have found the info and contacted the customer on your behalf, but not given you any information.

From what I remember a hearing a few years ago the stores in the UK, actually have access to a lot less customer information than here.

Legally you have to hand it in to the police, but you then if it's not claimed after a year and a day you can claim it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

It can still be blocked remotely by the owner though.

OP, you tried to give it back, fair play to you. Legally it's not yours and should be given back, but you tried as fair as I see you your best, keep it and enjoy it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Stainless_Steel

The OP sounds like a decent fella who deserves a free iPhone IMO. Keep it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Wolverine359

I was walking out of a club a few weeks ago and i found a iphone 4s.

How come you didn't leave it with the staff/doorman at the club? That would be the first place I'd look if I had lost mine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Intensive Care Bear

How come you didn't leave it with the staff/doorman at the club? That would be the first place I'd look if I had lost mine.

Sorry if i wasn't clear but i didn't find it in a club, i was leaving a club and i found it while on my way to get a taxi.

Just to answer a few other questions i did bring it to an O2 shop in the UK (where i live) and i also rang O2 giving them my details but they assured me that without knowing the phone number they couldn't search for the owner (even though i provided the imei number) Apple have contacted the owner and given them my details so hopefully they will contact me.

I really don't see whats to be gained by handing it in to my local police station, i doubt very much that they would have gone through half the effort i have to find the owner. Oh and for the record i have no desire to gain any money by selling/destroying a phone that doesn't belong to me. I also have a 4s already so i think ill just pop it in a drawer and if no one contacts me within the next year its getting recycled.

Apparently under UK law the time limit for someone to claim a lost phone is only 6 weeks after that you can keep it providing you have taking reasonable steps to find the owner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Apparently under UK law the time limit for someone to claim a lost phone is only 6 weeks after that you can keep it providing you have taking reasonable steps to find the owner.

Either way, well done. You've done a lot more than most people would.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Sorry if i wasn't clear but i didn't find it in a club, i was leaving a club and i found it while on my way to get a taxi.

Just to answer a few other questions i did bring it to an O2 shop in the UK (where i live) and i also rang O2 giving them my details but they assured me that without knowing the phone number they couldn't search for the owner (even though i provided the imei number) Apple have contacted the owner and given them my details so hopefully they will contact me.

I really don't see whats to be gained by handing it in to my local police station, i doubt very much that they would have gone through half the effort i have to find the owner. Oh and for the record i have no desire to gain any money by selling/destroying a phone that doesn't belong to me. I also have a 4s already so i think ill just pop it in a drawer and if no one contacts me within the next year its getting recycled.

As has been said above, you have done more that enough. Admirable really. Restore the thing and give to a family member, or keep as a spare. And FWIW, I would not be handing it into a local police station.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 966 ✭✭✭heffo500

How did you get the imei number? Can you use the phone? If so you can press the Phone Button and Press Contacts the number of the phone will be at the top.

Personally I'd keep it you've done enough now if they're not bothered contacting you they don't deserve or need it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭tigershould

sounds like you nicked it and dont know what to do with it now and in a vain attempt to clear your concience you're making a half hearted attempt to return it to the owner knowing full well you'll never trace them.

just sell your stolen wares on ebay

sounds like you nicked it and dont know what to do with it now and in a vain attempt to clear your concience you're making a half hearted attempt to return it to the owner knowing full well you'll never trace them.

Not sure quite where you're getting this conclusion from. Until such times as you have proof of what you allege, keep your opinions to yourself and the tone of this forum civil.

• Advertisement

It would be a strange thief who posted the story here.

... keep your opinions to yourself and the tone of this forum civil.

apologies if you found my tone rude. it was not meant to be, i was merely giving my interpretation reading between the lines.

in my book, when you find something and keep it that amounts to theft. yes, the OP claims they attempted to return the lost item, however, until such a time as it is handed in to the police they are in possession of someone else's property.

English law recognises that a person may commit theft if, even if they initially innocently come by an article, they then assume the rights of an owner over it.

:-)

heffo500 wrote: »
    How did you get the imei number? Can you use the phone? If so you can press the Phone Button and Press Contacts the number of the phone will be at the top.

Personally I'd keep it you've done enough now if they're not bothered contacting you they don't deserve or need it back.

The phone is PIN locked but the imei number is printed on the sim card holder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

It's conscience by the way.:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,352 ✭✭✭✭endacl

How long would this thread be if the title was 'I Found a Nokia'? Just wondering, out of divilment....

A half hearted attempt? I have gone far beyond what a lot of people would do so my conscience is perfectly clear. Actually when i think about it i have spent at least a half an hour on the phone to both O2 and Apple and also wasted an hour on my day off work travelling to an O2 shop. Also have you read any of my post? Apple have provided the owner with my name, address and phone number, all they have to do is contact me and i will send it to them (again wasting my own time and money)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

apologies if you found my tone rude. it was not meant to be, i was merely giving my interpretation reading between the lines.

in my book, when you find something and keep it that amounts to theft. yes, the OP claims they attempted to return the lost item, however, until such a time as it is handed in to the police they are in possession of someone else's property.

English law recognises that a person may commit theft if, even if they initially innocently come by an article, they then assume the rights of an owner over it.

:-)

....a law book for breakfast by any chance ?:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Dr_Spock

I cant believe that the actual owner didnt ring it straight away, surely thats the first thing any sane minded person would do?? Bizarre.

@1210m5g

please dont take offence if i didnt believe your internet tales.
    i must have been having a bad day, i'm sure you're a fine upstanding citizen.

the bit i forgot to mention which i'm sure will help your case is that whilst it is often best to hand in found property to the police there is no general obligation to do so. The obligation is to take such reasonable and practicable steps as would be appropriate to the property to try and find the true owner. You might put a notice up in a shop, ask in the neighbourhood, contact the police to ask if its loss has been reported to them and ask them to note your finding of it, etc.

• Advertisement

@1210m5g

please dont take offence if i didnt believe your internet tales.
    i must have been having a bad day, i'm sure you're a fine upstanding citizen.

the bit i forgot to mention which i'm sure will help your case is that whilst it is often best to hand in found property to the police there is no general obligation to do so. The obligation is to take such reasonable and practicable steps as would be appropriate to the property to try and find the true owner. You might put a notice up in a shop, ask in the neighbourhood, contact the police to ask if its loss has been reported to them and ask them to note your finding of it, etc.

Or go to both o2 and Apple and ask them to find the owner?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement