Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

totally clueless... buying car/nct/insurance in ireland

• 13-04-2012 9:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hello! I'm an American living in Ireland for the next six months (at least)... I'm quickly learning that I really need a car to get around here. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do? I was looking into buying an older, inexpensive car just to drive around for the next >year, but I have absolutely no idea how the insurance would work out. Is there any way to lease or rent a car for a reasonable rate? Or is it worth it to buy a car with NCT and then insurance also? I've heard about the motor tax too, but I don't know how expensive everything would add up to be. My license is valid over here for 12 months, but that's about as informed as I am at this point... would reallllly appreciate some advice!

Thanks so much --

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

First thing I'd do is to talk to a couple of insurance brokers to find out if they'll accept your No-Claims status. If they don't you'll end up paying up to 70% more than necessary. Also find out whether they acknowledge your US drivers license.

Then find a cheap reliable car - with a NCT good for the duration of your stay at least.

Tax can be bought in periods of 3, 6 or 12 months.

Welcome to Paddyland!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

Depending on you driving experience and previous insurance details from the US ring a few insurance companies give you details look at donedeal (donedeal.ie) look at the difference cars give details and see your insurance costs.
    Very hard to rent a car longterm in Ireland so you are better of picking one up how much is you budget for car, insurance and tax what kind of milage will you be doing will it be touring or commuting.
    If you are staying for one year buy a car with one years NCT you are going to be looking for something like this if you budget is 1500-2000 euro
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3224390

If you know anybody that is a mechanic or is good with cars it would be a great help

Advertisement