Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

can anyone suggest the best route?

Options
  • 13-04-2012 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭

HI,

My husband is working in a restaurant as a chef and is contracted to work 40 hrs per week. The owners keep on asking him to come down for extra days bringing his hours up to 50 or more a week. For example last monday was a easter monday. Monday is his normal day off but they told him that he has to work. Did a 11 hour shift for no extra pay or time in lieu. That happened many many times. When confronted - he was told that if he doesnt want to do it they will find someone else. There are a couple of chefs there and it's the same story.

Can't afford to lose the job... Should we just shut up and do as we're told? Restaurant is a popular spot in town and he left his last job because of that sort of treatment. After a few months - it's the same in this one.

Please - offer your advice

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

The thing to do is log all extra work and make a complaint to the Rights Commissioner for pay. I'm amazed at chefs putting up with this sort of treatment. I know a hotel general manager who finds it very difficult to get chefs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

The thing to do is log all extra work and make a complaint to the Rights Commissioner for pay. I'm amazed at chefs putting up with this sort of treatment. I know a hotel general manager who finds it very difficult to get chefs.

the cheifs i know are on salery, so they get the same if they do a 20 or a 70 hour week

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭iPearly

the cheifs i know are on salery, so they get the same if they do a 20 or a 70 hour week

There are no 20 hour weeks. Minimum 45 even though the contract states 40 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 28,517 ✭✭✭✭looksee

There was a lengthy item on the news this evening about the desperate shortage of chefs in the country, there is talk of some sort of emergency shortened training scheme. Maybe look for something more reasonable?

Advertisement