Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nationwide Burglaries

• 13-04-2012 10:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭

I recently spoke with a Garda and the topic came up.

I've heard plenty of stories myself of groups of Dublin men (dublin accents anyway) caught in the act of burglaries, even in broad daylight. I'd always wondered how they targeted which houses etc.

Anyway, the Garda was telling me that they recently had a local man (midlands area) in the station for questioning on the matter. The man was boasting that he could beckon a group of men from any 5 different known Dublin gangs to come down the country to commit burglaries on the houses that he specified. Have to admit that it sounded like a pretty good system: local man with information on which houses could be burgled easily passes on information to the scumbags willing to commit the deed.

Just wondering what everyone elses experiences were on the matter.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Chips Ahoy

Did anyone else read this as Nationwide Bulgarians

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,661 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Chips Ahoy wrote: »

Nationwide Burgers.... mmm food....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

I never trusted Mary Kennedy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Intensive Care Bear

I read it as Nationwide budgerigars

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

What kind of fool boasts to gardaí about what they can do :confused:

Rule number one in the garda station is keep your mouth shut

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

Where I live there is plenty of willing locals to commit the crime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭I_smell_fear

I am now seriously starting to question why I chose the word 'Nationwide'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Nationwide budgerigars?

Edit. Someone got there before me.

1210m5g wrote: »
    I read it as Nationwide budgerigars

I first read it as nationwide buggerys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,887 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Anyway, the Garda was telling me that they recently had a local man (midlands area) in the station for questioning on the matter. The man was boasting that he could beckon a group of men from any 5 different known Dublin gangs to come down the country to commit burglaries on the houses that he specified

Your midlands man was boasting to the Gardai about his intel and recon he carried out for criminal purposes?

Sounds like a crock of shyte. Dublin gangs don't burgle unless they are addicted to the thrill. There's far to much money to be made elsewhere. The ones that are addicted to the thrill (the General for instant) stay local, they get nervous outside their comfort zone.

Unless it's really really worth it, ie; a gunsmith, or someone with an arsenal, some fool with millions under the mattress, or a tiger job.

Normally it's your one of your own burgling... drug addicts, small time criminals or persons of different cultures.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭marty1985

I read it exactly as it was written.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I thought this was about a new startup business. Along the lines of Nationwide tiles or the nationwide buildign society.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭RiseToTheTop

Nationwide budgerigars?

Edit. Someone got there before me.

I've 2 budgie's, George and Dame. I hope they're not committing the crimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

I didn't read the thread title at all.

What's this about anyway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

I thought it was about selling guns....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭I_smell_fear

Riveting discussion so far! I'm not sure what I expected :/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Your midlands man was boasting to the Gardai about his intel and recon he carried out for criminal purposes?

Sounds like a crock of shyte. Dublin gangs don't burgle unless they are addicted to the thrill. There's far to much money to be made elsewhere. The ones that are addicted to the thrill (the General for instant) stay local, they get nervous outside their comfort zone.

Unless it's really really worth it, ie; a gunsmith, or someone with an arsenal, some fool with millions under the mattress, or a tiger job.

Normally it's your one of your own burgling... drug addicts, small time criminals or persons of different cultures.
    Burglaries are up in the areas around Dublin, Westmeath and similar regions, and down in the west and south. Basically Dublin gangs are targeting the locations nearby in the hopes of an easy score. Criminals in going for the easy target shocker, tis a tough recession.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Where To wrote: »

Its about your fav Jam.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭marty1985

Where To wrote: »

I_Smell_Fear is living in fear of burglars, but I think it could be Guy:Incognito or LETHAL LADY, I dunno, maybe John_Rambo can protect her. The King Of Moo is here too, but I dunno where he fits in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Nationwide budgerigars?

They tweet the location of houses to rob to each other, but they're not very successful and a lot of them end up doing bird when they get caught

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

Riveting discussion so far! I'm not sure what I expected :/

If you expected anything worthwhile you were being wildy optimistic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    Burglaries are up in the areas around Dublin, Westmeath and similar regions, and down in the west and south. Basically Dublin gangs are targeting the locations nearby in the hopes of an easy score. Criminals in going for the easy target shocker, tis a tough recession.

Yes and locations within Dublin city have marginally higher stats than a year earlier. However commuter towns have seen their burglary rates rocket.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/0410/1224314567573.html

Meath increased by 40% :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

I recently spoke with a Garda and the topic came up.

I've heard plenty of stories myself of groups of Dublin men (dublin accents anyway) caught in the act of burglaries, even in broad daylight. I'd always wondered how they targeted which houses etc.

Anyway, the Garda was telling me that they recently had a local man (midlands area) in the station for questioning on the matter. The man was boasting that he could beckon a group of men from any 5 different known Dublin gangs to come down the country to commit burglaries on the houses that he specified. Have to admit that it sounded like a pretty good system: local man with information on which houses could be burgled easily passes on information to the scumbags willing to commit the deed.

Just wondering what everyone elses experiences were on the matter.

Yes, thats one way they operate all right.
    Usually the local guy has met up with these scumbags during his time in prison. he gets "commission" for pointing out potential houses, will make himself visable elsewhere at the time of the burglary.
    another thing that happens is that that the local guy has built up a drugs debt in prison and this is payback time.
    its not uncommon for him to target relatives houses.
    the modern road network and mobile phone are a "godsend" for the Dublin burgler targetting rural Ireland.

Burglaries are up in the areas around Dublin, Westmeath and similar regions, and down in the west and south. Basically Dublin gangs are targeting the locations nearby

I_smell_Fear is talking nationwide. I can't see big time gangs traveling far to burgle. I'd honestly say the problem is local unless it's very very worth it, ie; lots of guns and lots of cash. I know it would be nice to blame it on gangs from outside the locality, but normally, it's a localised problem committed by local people who would know the habits and probable gains of the victims.

washman3 wrote: »
    Yes, thats one way they operate all right.
    Usually the local guy has met up with these scumbags during his time in prison. he gets "commission" for pointing out potential houses, will make himself visable elsewhere at the time of the burglary.
    another thing that happens is that that the local guy has built up a drugs debt in prison and this is payback time.
    its not uncommon for him to target relatives houses.
    the modern road network and mobile phone are a "godsend" for the Dublin burgler targetting rural Ireland.

Pub talk.

Are we talking house break-ins or armed raids on businesses just need to clarify.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stained Class

Old trick.

I live in the south-east.

During the Boom a lot of Dub-Skang (DS) bought houses down our way.

They'd have any awld house in the smoke bought/inherited years ago.

All of a sudden, it was worth a mint!

They cottoned on quickly that they could sell their Gaffs for a fortune & buy a nice place in a nice area within a hour of the Capital.

Buy it for cash & have a small fortune in the bank.

A lot of these were DS. They don't really need the locals cos there's a certain amount of DS in most towns & villages across the south east.

They infest an area & contact some of their mates 'back home' about easy pickings in their new areas.

The mates come down & loot the area & give their pals a cut of the proceeds.

That's the way it works.

Are we talking house break-ins or armed raids on businesses just need to clarify.

He said houses, but some publicans and businesses have been targeted. Sometimes these breakins end up in tragedy (a death after some old person is tied up and left alone) the Gardai are forced to follow up properly and you will find that in most cases it's a local that knows the victims habits and how much money they (have rumoured to) have.

I know it's attractive to blame outsiders or people that moved in recently (blowins) but, it's usually a local.

He said houses, but some publicans and businesses have been targeted. Sometimes these breakins end up in tragedy (a death after some old person is tied up and left alone) the Gardai are forced to follow up properly and you will find that in most cases it's a local that knows the victims habits and how much money they (have rumoured to) have.

I know it's attractive to blame outsiders or people that moved in recently (blowins) but, it's usually a local.

Agreed the people who commit these crimes generally never live that far outside the locality with few exceptions.

• Advertisement

Sometimes it's some local scummer alright, but always be suspicious of 'Darndale Families' moving into your area.

They're usually trouble.

gurramok wrote: »
    Yes and locations within Dublin city have marginally higher stats than a year earlier. However commuter towns have seen their burglary rates rocket.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/0410/1224314567573.html

Meath increased by 40% :eek:
    That's what I said.
    I_smell_Fear is talking nationwide. I can't see big time gangs traveling far to burgle. I'd honestly say the problem is local unless it's very very worth it, ie; lots of guns and lots of cash. I know it would be nice to blame it on gangs from outside the locality, but normally, it's a localised problem committed by local people who would know the habits and probable gains of the victims.
    So why are such crimes down in the west? If you're claiming locals are responsible, surely it should be the same everywhere.

The devil is always in the details.

That's what I said.

So why are such crimes down in the west? If you're claiming locals are responsible, surely it should be the same everywhere.

The devil is always in the details.

I live in a fairly small town in the south east (population roughly 5000) which in the past few years has seen a heroin epidemic amongst its young people, so much so there is now a clinic to deal with it. Would it be beyond possibility to perhaps believe that addicts have no choice but to rob their neighbours?

I live in a fairly small town in the south east (population roughly 5000) which in the past few years has seen a heroin epidemic amongst its young people, so much so there is now a clinic to deal with it. Would it beyond possibility to perhaps believe that addicts have no choice but to rob their neighbours?
    It would be well within possibility. But the numbers show a spike in crime in the east and a reduction in the west, so its not too hard to draw a few conclusions on that basis.

So why are such crimes down in the west? If you're claiming locals are responsible, surely it should be the same everywhere

The latest census tells us that the East coast is the most populated and the West is sadly getting less populated. So... population decline = crime decline. The OP talks about a nationwide problem. Maybe the sort of crimes we are talking about are down is because your local burglar is no longer living local.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭laughter189

The criminal profile is changing and widening

• Advertisement

It would be well within possibility. But the numbers show a spike in crime in the east and a reduction in the west, so its not too hard to draw a few conclusions on that basis.

I do not believe that house break-ins in the "country" are being committed by Dublin folk. That is all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭C-Shore

Sometimes it's some local scummer alright, but always be suspicious of 'Darndale Families' moving into your area.

They're usually trouble.

You're funny, this made me laugh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Emigration and migration to the east coast from the West of young men due to unemployment and rural depopulation could be a factor. If a demographic group is leaving an area is it not likely that the percentage of those who historically would have had a tendency towards crime would cause a drop in crimes in the west?

I do not believe that house break-ins in the "country" are being committed by Dublin folk. That is all.

What other kind of folk could it be?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Rubbish.!!
    i live over 100 miles from Dublin. my elderly neighbour's house was burgled last summer while he was at mass.
    By pure chance the local Gardai apprehended the 2 perpetrators in the act.
    1 was from Artane in Dublin city,the other from Strabane in county Tyrone.
    Everyone knows the local link but it cant be proven as he was conveniently "out of town" at the time.
    The OP is talking about NATIONWIDE BURGLARIES, not petty local hits where a local opportunist scumbag skips through an open door or window, grabs a handbag or laptop while the housewife is at the clothsline or on the telephone and disappears in a minute or two. These type are seldom even investigated.
    The bigger burglaries are organised,sometimes items stolen to order,like Flatscreens,Stoves,horseboxes,purebred dogs. In other words items that can be offloaded quickly for ready cash,good cash. One of these burglaries may yield a few thousand euros to each member.

• Advertisement

C-Shore wrote: »
    You're funny, this made me laugh!

Really?

I'm glad your'e amused.

It's not so funny for some people though.

gurramok wrote: »
    What other kind of folk could it be?:confused:

Non Dublin folk.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

This thread reminds me of the four air corp or navy servicemen who died in a helicopter crash off the south east coast

Families houses were burgled during the funerals

Whether it was outsiders or not, a local was involved somewhere with the times, local roads and addresses

This is going back several years now, just was high profile at the time

Non Dublin folk.;)

Locals?

washman3 wrote: »
    Flatscreens,Stoves,horseboxes,purebred dogs

No. Pure pub talk, you were fed bullsyte. Dublin gangs are not interested in flatscreen TV's, stoves or horseboxes. They are interested in guns, big money and laundering.

I'd bet your elderly neighbour was burgled by a local that knew he was at mass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭C-Shore

Really?

I'm glad your'e amused.

It's not so funny for some people though.

I know, most people don't find stereotyping funny; but whether you're being sarcastic and dry, or serious; I'm laughing either way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

Neighbour is a sergeant and busted a gang for a spate of robberies in the local area. they had a map of house, some with back dots(dont bother), others no dots.

black dots=house has a dog. enough to deter them.

EDIT: Just remembered for both my mam and dads funerals (seperate dates) 2 neighbours stayed in my house for the day based on advice from the guards.....thats how scummy burglers are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I read it as 'Norwegian Burglaries'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

No. Pure pub talk, you were fed bullsyte. Dublin gangs are not interested in flatscreen TV's, stoves or horseboxes. They are interested in guns, big money and laundering.

I'd bet your elderly neighbour was burgled by a local that knew he was at mass.
    make sure ye all disable your washing machines before you go out, that'l learn em - no laundry gonna get done in my gaff, ye non-local blow-in, foreign, local bastards ye..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

So why are such crimes down in the west?

Crime down in the west and up in the east? That sounds crazy. For that you'd need a highly mobile gang of no fixed abode to be moving between the rich pickings between east and west.

It's impossible and I don'r think it could ever happen.

• Advertisement
Advertisement