Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what to do with dogs when on holiday

• 13-04-2012 10:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭

So title fairly vague but we've had out lovely little pets for two years now and in that two years we've never had a night away or a holiday....I'd love to have a night or two away but I dont know what to do with the doggies!

One is very very nervous especially of strangers. I feel a massive sense of guilt even thinking about leaving them but we need a break.
    Would I be best to leave them in they're own home(obviously if only for a night or two) and having someone check in on them. or should I try leaving them in a kennels for a night to see how they get on?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Ideally, if you trust anyone enough - have someone you know stay in your house while you are away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 297 ✭✭MaryK666

I'm with adrenalinjunkie on this one. We only have cats but we do have 5 of them, two of whom are very nervous and one with FIV so a cattery is out of the question for us.
    We're very lucky that we have a friend who will cat-sit for us if she's free. Last year we didn't get a holiday together as our friend was away so we took it in turns to have a few days away with friends so the furbies would have someone there with them but she's back again now and will cover a two week break for us this summer.
    She comes in a minimum of twice a day to feed, water, clean litter trays, provide treats, talk to, cuddle and and play with the furbies. On some days she'll come for a full evening and watch tv and hang out with the cats and she'll also stay for a couple of nights so they've got a human to snuggle up to at night.
    If you have someone you can trust, who knows and loves your dogs, then maybe it might be an idea to ask them to come and stay for you. A trial run before you actually go away is always a good idea too as you get to see how they all get on, make sure everyone's comfortable with the arrangement and show them your routine.
    Failing that, there are quite a few places now in Ireland and the UK that are pet-friendly and if you were only going for a few nights, it's always possible to bring your dogs with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭gud4u

Getting someone to call or stay in the house would be best. It works out cheaper for us as we have 4 dogs. One of mine was out of sorts for days as I had her looked after in a friends house the last time I was away. I'd definately have the looked after at home in future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

I normally get someone to move in to take care of my animals. I have one dog that won't stay in someone elses house at all, if we are desperate enough to start splitting up the dogs I'll have to leave her with someone who will let her live in my car for the entire time! She's happy living in the car because the car goes home, but doesn't like to stay in their house.

I got a great quote for boarding 5 of my 6 dogs but at €80 a day it's simply not affordable, never mind that I'd have to find someone else to mind Mad Ellie and my sheep, rabbit and fish

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭kakee

ashblag wrote: »
    So title fairly vague but we've had out lovely little pets for two years now and in that two years we've never had a night away or a holiday....I'd love to have a night or two away but I dont know what to do with the doggies!

Why not bring them along......... There are many places that allow dogs now.

Check out http://www.staydoggy.com for dog friendly accommodation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Bubblefett

kakee wrote: »
    Why not bring them along......... There are many places that allow dogs now.

Check out http://www.staydoggy.com for dog friendly accommodation

+1, me and the OH have taken to going to holiday homes/renting caravans and bringing our little woof with us. Wouldn't seem like a holiday without him now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Any holidays we take in Ireland I look for dog friendly accommodation to bring them with us.

If we are heading abroad, then we have a neighbour that looks after them. They go home at night but he brings them to his house during the day and brings them out for a 90 minute walk/run every day. They absolutely adore him and he loves them. He's a lifesaver!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭moving_home

i would never leave my dog in kennels, I use a home boarding service. its costs a bit more about €12 a night but the dog is minded in a home environment so it's not distressing at all and they have constant company. couldn't face leaving her in kennels with the concrete walls which remind me of a cell and with only a break for walks.

edited to add: no judgement on anyone that leaves their dogs in kennels I just know it couldn't suit mine!

my dogs came back from 3 nights home boarding over the weekend, when we arrived the owners (a couple) said "aren't they great lickers" and that they only wanted to sit on their knees for the weekend licking them!! we have 5 family dogs left in and they all got turns, they aren't small dogs either!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Kash

We're pretty lucky in the fact that we have a really good kennel nearby if needed, but 90% of the time we would have friends or family pet sit. The dogs are happy out whevever they go, so they are no hassle at all if someone can't come out to stay in the house.

The cat is slightly more difficult - he will stay at my parents, but as he has to stay inside at their house, he gets a bit unhappy. So, normally, we leave him at home , and have someone check in on him every two days if the dogs are elsewhere. He can get in and out as he pleases, has a regularly filled water and food bowl, and free run of all the bedrooms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

bubblefett wrote: »
    +1, me and the OH have taken to going to holiday homes/renting caravans and bringing our little woof with us. Wouldn't seem like a holiday without him now
    It really depends on the dog, I suppose it's something you can really only know by giving it a go.

If we bring our dog anywhere, she is happy enough so long as she gets to stick to us like glue. If she's not in the same room as us, she absolutely loses her life and goes into deep depression. At home she's not like that at all and is more than happy to potter around the sitting room/kitchen (where she spends 90% of her time) while we're elsewhere in the house (or indeed, when we go out).

If we were to bring her on holidays, it would be massively restrictive because we couldn't do something as simple as go out for dinner without coming back to her having peed everywhere and chewed stuff to bits. There would also be a week of recovery when we got home for the dog to realise that we're not going anywhere again.

Instead it works out better all round if the dog stays at home while we go away and my sister-in-law (who rescued her initially) drops in a few times a day. When we get back, the dog is calm and happy.

Kennels, not a hope.

• Advertisement
Advertisement