Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cassius Clay (1960's) vs Muhammad Ali (1970's)

• 13-04-2012 10:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭

Ali is stronger, heavier, better chin, more experience, and upped his game against bigger opposition in the 70's ?

Cassius Clay Vs Muhammed Ali 4 votes

Cassius Clay (1964)
    0% 0 votes
    Muhammed Ali (1974)
    100% 4 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

The 70s man following around the 60s man. No, Ali never liked pressing the action. He loses to the 60s man. The better chinned and stronger 70s man doesn't have the power of attacking prowess to beat the faster footed 60s man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭sxt

walshb wrote: »
    The 70s man following around the 60s man. No, Ali never liked pressing the action. He loses to the 60s man. The better chinned and stronger 70s man doesn't have the power of attacking prowess to beat the faster footed 60s man.

I agree with you to most extents . I think Ali was physically in his prime in the mid 60's, defintitely !

But , Is a less experienced 60's Ali in a better position to beat a 70's Foreman or Frazier ? (who is to say not !)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

walshb wrote: »
    Yeah fully in agreement with this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

sxt wrote: »
    I agree with you to most extents . I think Ali was physically in his prime in the mid 60's, defintitely !

But , Is a less experienced 60's Ali in a better position to beat a 70's Foreman or Frazier ? (who is to say not !)

I think foreman would have had a 60s ali for breakfast, ali wasn't aware of how good a chin he had until roughly the 70s and he relied completely on his chin in their fight. He could only have danced around him for so long, foreman would have cut off the ring and taken him apart.

m
    sxt wrote: »

These are matches that I have thought about a fair bit, and I always went with mid 60s Ali over '71 Frazier. Ali had not got the real foot speed in '71, and this allowd Joe to land a lot of shots. The 60s Ali would take a lot less, be harder to track down, and was also as fit, as fast and as busy. I would go with the 60s Ali by UD.

vs. Formean, the 60s Ali would be a ghost, even with Foreman's stalking prowess, he would not contain this man. Ali was still strong enough to withstand Foreman, hold, manoeuver and move away. He would pick and poke and bedazzle Georrge for a points win, or even late stoppage. George would not get near as much time to tee off on the 60s man. And all that chasing and over extending and hitting air will wear George out, just as Zaire wore George out from punching and landing.

• Advertisement

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    I think foreman would have had a 60s ali for breakfast, ali wasn't aware of how good a chin he had until roughly the 70s and he relied completely on his chin in their fight. He could only have danced around him for so long, foreman would have cut off the ring and taken him apart.

No no no no no!:)

How would he have taken him apart? One must land,land flush and consistent. George is no way doing this to the fastest moving HW in history, with serious stamina, decent pop, blazing handspeed and ring smarts, as well as being very tough. George will be lucky to land 20 percent of what he landed in Zaire. Ali had to take that, as li in 1974 had not got the foots speed to dance enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Early 70's Ali to me would beat the mid 60's Ali, mid 70's i still think could but would not be so sure.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

Advertisement