Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

how long between applying and being given a date for test?

• 13-04-2012 11:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭

I applied online there a few days ago. Got confirmation email but no date assigned yet. How long oes that take usually? Need to get it sorted quick as my licence expires at the end of next month!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Lon Dubh

The average waiting time for the different test centres are here

http://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Learner-Drivers/The-Driving-Test/Test-Waiting-Times/

Are you available for cancellations at short notice? If you didn't tick the box saying you were you can ring them to say this to them.

They might also have a better idea in a week or 2 if a date is likely to be available before your 2 months is up, if you ring them. As they would get a certain amount of cancellations you might be lucky. I think they normally give about 4 weeks notice (other than for people available for taking other people's cancellations), but this might leave you very tight by the time you find out when your test-date is, and you might need another licence.

Another option would be to apply for a test in another area as well, though I'm not sure if you could end up paying a fee on the double in that case (you have to give 10 days notice to cancel a test-date or you forfeit the fee). It is probably a bad idea to do the test in an area you are not familiar with, so if you were to apply anywhere else it would be a good idea to familiarise yourself with the area, but this might not be an option for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭ADIDriving

The waiting times in most centre are longer then you have. Contact the RSA quoting reference number on your confirmation. Tell them that you need the test to be before your the end of next month and they should be able to help.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 301 ✭✭surime

I applied about month ago and still no news? How long before the test they let you know? I need to remind myself all the rules and theory a bit!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,349 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Think it is 4-5 weeks before your test date that you be given the date of your test. Probably either an email or a letter in the post depends what method you applied for the test. Could be 6 weeks or more if there is a back log. Waiting times can vary from test centre to test centre too.

http://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Learner-Drivers/The-Driving-Test/What-it-is/

doovdela wrote: »
    Think it is 4-5 weeks before your test date that you be given the date of your test. Probably either an email or a letter in the post depends what method you applied for the test. Could be 6 weeks or more if there is a back log. Waiting times can vary from test centre to test centre too.

http://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Learner-Drivers/The-Driving-Test/What-it-is/

But if average waiting time in Galway is 9 weeks and I am already waiting about 5 .... it is kind of long! I hope it will be before my learners permit is expired (end of July)!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Lon Dubh

Surime, you should ring them on 18 90 40 60 40 and they might be able to give you a date over the phone, or at least give you a timescale on when you should hear from them. Tell them your provisional in up in July and I think they should be able to give you a test-date before then (I think you would get a date before then anyway, but better explain the situation to them).

I just applied over week ago and rang them today and they said I might not get a date until July, though it would depend on cancellations they got etc (I'm not in too much of a rush but I wanted an idea of when the test would be). She said they would be doing up the June dates in early May. So that looks like the waiting list might be a bit longer than 9 weeks for some of us, though possibly with cancellations taken into account it won't be much more.

Hope this helps and good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭gemi

If you're willing to take a cancellation it can be much quicker. I failed my test in Churchtown on 23rd March, re-applied that day and hadn't heard anything as of yesterday. So I tried calling the number on the RSA website yesterday afternoon but was on hold for what seemed like forever, so just emailed the address on the website (drivingtest@rsa.ie), and explained that I was willing to accept any cancellation at any date or time. Checked my emails at half 9 this morning, and now I have a test date for within two weeks.

I assume this confirmation is as a result of the email and not something I would have received anyway, as you are supposed to get at least 4 weeks advance notice of your test date. I would be wary though that you are certain you can make it at any time or date, because within the two week mark doesn't give you the ten days notice to cancel without losing your fee. Worth dropping them a mail though if you are ready, willing and able to sit it at short notice. Fingers crossed I am now after all my eagerness!!

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Sonz

I would say the email was rite I rang them up as i had been waiting for a cancellation myself and they gave me one right away after the phone call i got an email with the date for may 10th thou it was more than the ten days of a wait but it was a cancellation.

I read booking confirmation email again and it actually says :
    "We will notify you of your appointment details, generally up to four weeks before the date."
    Don't know how I missed that, should have read it more carefully!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭dillo2k10

When I booked mine I got to pick the date online straight away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 251 ✭✭tommyjin83

Same here, booked mine just now, got to pick a date. Mine is in Rathgar, time to get some practice in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

tommyjin83 wrote: »
    Same here, booked mine just now, got to pick a date. Mine is in Rathgar, time to get some practice in.
    It says they let you pick the date if the waiting list is under four weeks - otherwise you wait and they assign a date.
    Rathgar's waiting list is short because it has one of the lowest pass rates in the country. There are different roads and levels of congestion around different test centres, and these have considerable impact on the success rates. Make sure you get plenty of practice on the roads near the test centre.

Advertisement