Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question on facebook

Options
  • 14-04-2012 12:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hi,

I'm helping my friend set up a facebook page for his new business, he wants a profile for it, but we can't seem to set up one using the name he wants. It has 4 words, my questoion is there any any to do this? as I have seen many business use profiles and have long names.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

You're probably trying to set up a personal profile.
    Try this link:
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/create.php?ref_type=sitefooter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭enviro

Here is a short helpful article on the setting up of a business page, creating a group and tips on engagement with visitors to your page.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 a.superstrella

Sorry meant to say a new facebook profile for it, he has set up a page, but we can't seem to set up a profile which is what he wants, its not going to be an overly popular business page so he wants a facebook profile so he can interact more with potential clients (pages, groups, people). We cant seem to create a profile even though there is several other profiles with long names. Anyway to do this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Profile pages aren't allowed for businesses, and tbh I think they're a bad idea, I don't add any business pages as friends, they would all have access to everything on my page. If you have a business page I don't see why you need another page for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 a.superstrella

Yea I know businesses shouldn't use profile pages, but a lot do. Its a small business never going to have a large number of likes, so he'd prefer to have a profile so he can be more proactive

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

I am open to correction on this but as far as I know about a year ago Facebook changes their name filter to stop businesses signing up for personal profile pages though that obviously hasnt affected business profile accounts that were setup before they made their changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭shinny

Acoshla wrote: »
    Profile pages aren't allowed for businesses, and tbh I think they're a bad idea, I don't add any business pages as friends, they would all have access to everything on my page. If you have a business page I don't see why you need another page for it.

This. I think businesses don't realise that many will not accept them if the have the account profile and not a page. I've seen a lot of places I know locally who have set themselves up this way and I (and many others) won't add them for this very reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

miju wrote: »
    I am open to correction on this but as far as I know about a year ago Facebook changes their name filter to stop businesses signing up for personal profile pages though that obviously hasnt affected business profile accounts that were setup before they made their changes.

I think I know of ones set up in the last few months/year, people just keep doing it even when other businesses are now switching their profile pages to the business page format.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

Acoshla wrote: »
    I think I know of ones set up in the last few months/year, people just keep doing it even when other businesses are now switching their profile pages to the business page format.

Ah ok I thought they'd stopped in completely with their name filter sign up thingy.

I've a couple of profile pages for charity / business so can anyone tell me the benefits of the business pages over the profile pages on FB?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭tan11ie

They have a name filter system on personal profile pages that's why it won't allow you such a short name. The set up requires a first and second name.
    In order to use the business name you will need to create a business page opposed to a personal one. The reason being is that your business would have access to people’s personal information and the fact you don't actually know these people personally.

It’s a tough job getting people to a business page but with a bit of graft you will get the ball rolling. Eventually you will have to use it anyhow as a lot of people will deny your friend request which in turn could leave you open to getting your page removed by Facebook admins.

Good luck with it :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement